PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
both sides know at this point that it's year to year....not sure how a rational person would come up with a different way to do things.

besides........there's an angel investment in TB12 waiting the moment he retires

Hey Venecol, have you heard Brady will be 43 when he can become a free agent next year and has a wife that is afraid for his well being and safety?

I never said he couldn’t mentally do it.

But it is not ever going to happen for a myriad of reasons. It just isn’t. And if you think about it in human terms instead of chess piece terms you’d understand too.

Reality.
I'm sure you're right. Technically he will still be 42 when he hits free agency in March, something that has never happened before! I don't think the age is as much of an issue since it is TB and he seems to be in excellent shape. I guess we'll see how he performs this year, but can you imagine the benefit a young QB can gain by learning under Brady for even one year?

You got 2 out of 3.

Gisele won’t let him try with another team at 43. She looks at Kraft/Scar/McDaniels as the closest thing to protectors available. She probably doesn’t trust BB.

Just ain’t happening. Not at 43. The risk (of injury, of going 7-9 with a crap franchise that is actually so bad that they are desperate enough to beg Brady to play for them just for the marketing value - think the type of coaching staff, players, executives work for a franchise that would gamble $30+ million on a 43 yr old qb from a different system. You can find people like that at 3am in Everett trying to get into the Encore.

I think the Jets could offer Brady $40m+ For a year and it would make sense to do so. They take Beady away from a rival. They get Brady for a year and try and win. They install a team culture. And they release Brady after a year and he still can’t go back to Pats who have moved on and he’s out of the division. They can offer $50m and split cap hit over 2 years (through a 2 yr contract) like Pats did with Revis and get a comp selection back.

Once you open Pandora’s box, anything can happen. Money talks.

I think the Jets could offer Brady $40m+ For a year and it would make sense to do so. They take Beady away from a rival. They get Brady for a year and try and win. They install a team culture. And they release Brady after a year and he still can’t go back to Pats who have moved on and he’s out of the division. They can offer $50m and split cap hit over 2 years (through a 2 yr contract) like Pats did with Revis and get a comp selection back.

Yea anything can happen, so I give your scenario a .000001% chance of happening.

There is NFW TB ever plays for the Jete.

The Jets would be idiots to do the above. Well, they are idiots in general, but not that stupid.

Do you think Tom Brady having a cup of coffee in E. Rutherford would install some sort of long lasting team culture? Gimme a break. Oh and BTW, what happens to the 3rd year QB they’re trying to develop? (I call him a 3rd year QB because that’s what he will be next year)

There's nothing stopping them from cutting a new deal prior to March 16. The two day window is the "legal tampering" period where other teams can talk to the player with an expiring contract - likely including Brady (not sure how the voidable years gets treated in this case). He just can't officially sign with anyone other than the Patriots prior to March 18.

I'm not privy to the nuances of NFL contract rules. Are you saying they can cut a new deal the day after the SB or do they need to let his contract expire first? It isn't clear to me, but based on the reports it seemed that he was definately hitting free agency, unless they strike a deal during those 2 days.

I'm not concerned at all, but it is a unique situation so I find it interesting.

I'm not privy to the nuances of NFL contract rules. Are you saying they can cut a new deal the day after the SB or do they need to let his contract expire first? It isn't clear to me, but based on the reports it seemed that he was definately hitting free agency, unless they strike a deal during those 2 days.

I'm not concerned at all, but it is a unique situation so I find it interesting.
Based on what Mike Reiss reported earlier, there is nothing that would stop them from redoing the deal earlier, other than their not wanting to. So they could do it as early as today I believe.

Edit: Check out page 107 - Article 13 Section 8. Subsection (a)(i) is the once-a-year rule that the media generally seems to misinterpret. Anyway, I'm not seeing anything in the entire Section 8 that would stop them from renegotiating at any point provided his total salary doesn't increase from the terms of his current deal (pretty much spot-on with what Reiss said yesterday):
https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that Brady retires after this season!

The Jets would be idiots to do the above. Well, they are idiots in general, but not that stupid.

Do you think Tom Brady having a cup of coffee in E. Rutherford would install some sort of long lasting team culture? Gimme a break. Oh and BTW, what happens to the 3rd year QB they’re trying to develop? (I call him a 3rd year QB because that’s what he will be next year)
Heehee. The flaw in your argument’s first sentence is indeed your further reflection in your second sentence.

Never, ever doubt : the heart of Brady, not the stupidity of the NYJ.

I'm starting to think he passes away before it starts. What a sh##load of hot air over what is right now a non-issue.

Kinda odd he’s just listed his home for sale

Well if he told Kraft and Belichick that’s what he was doing, this is the exact sort of contract I would expect them to create.

Let’s just say I’m holding onto my Jets tickets (final regular season home game of the season).

Last edited:
Apparently they were spotted in July house hunting in affluent suburbs of NYC. So it's probably a coincidence. I figure Gisele needs to be in NYC a lot more than Boston for her job. And Brady can just rent a condo in Boston during the season like he did prior to 2015.

Apparently it was listed on Zillow this morning now Zillow shows as off market. Definitely odd timing for all this.

What unbelievable whiplash over the past 48 hours.

We go from:
“Breaking: Brady finalizing two year extension basically guaranteeing he retires a Patriot, suck it doomsayers!”

To:
“Breaking: Brady extension is actually a sham, this remains his final year under contract.”

To:
“Breaking: Brady puts his fu.cking house up for sale.”

I’m pretty depressed.

What unbelievable whiplash over the past 48 hours.

We go from:
“Breaking: Brady finalizing two year extension basically guaranteeing he retires a Patriot, suck it doomsayers!”

To:
“Breaking: Brady extension is actually a sham, this remains his final year under contract.”

To:
“Breaking: Brady puts his fu.cking house up for sale.”

I’m pretty depressed.

Not sure if serious, but uh nobody should be depressed by any of this stuff.

Apparently it was listed on Zillow this morning now Zillow shows as off market. Definitely odd timing for all this.
Methinks they're likely not happy about all the media attention, so they removed it from MLS and will be looking to sell privately instead.....

I do not believe Brady is leaving for another team. I do not believe we should necessarily read too much into this stuff. I do believe renegotiating is an option. I do believe Brady will retire having only played with NE.

All that said : I think it’s borderline insane for some posters to completely dismiss the possibility of Brady moving on. It’s drôle.

(1) California boy (2) married to Brazilian supermodel (3) who still has highly marketable skills (4) and supreme confidence in said skills (4) age 42, not 82.

Millions of 40 somethings change careers and upend their family and young children to move away and work elsewhere. Neither Brady, nor Gisele is necessarily tied to Boston. It’s the area the Dad works.

In the NFL : almost all HoFers played in a city other than the one where they had the most success. Many of them late in their career.

In closing : I don’t think Brady is leaving, but to suggest it’s impossible is strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3