PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brad Penny released

Yet another one of Theo's brilliant mid range signings, the hits just keep on coming. Him, Smoltz, Baldelli while the Yankees signed Teshata, Fatso and Mr Why Why Why.

11 million and no results vs 462 million, first place and the best record in baseball.
And if Wakefields back blows out, WTF do they do for a fifth starter?

Oh yeah, we got Dice K coming back, who according to the mensa candidate Maverick is the best pitcher the Red Sox have.....................

Gave a good 1st half of the season, that was all I expected...

Hard to knock Theo based on all the good he has done rebuilding the pipeline. I brought up in another thread that part of the problem is the way minor league ball has changed.

To name a few - Jim Rice, Fred Lynn, Rick Burleson all came up through the AAA Pawtucket Red Sox. Now there are multiple A league and AA league teams. Players go almost straight from AA to the MLB Red Sox.

When I was younger we would see these young kids make the team out of spring training. Now they get the call from AA and make the spot starts when the reclamation projects don't make it. I guess that's the plan ... to buy the kids some time.

I would just rather see these kids get the shot in the spring and be the #5 pitcher from there. If they don't make it then ship them back to AAA Pawtucket and give another kid a chance. Anything is better than watching some washed up older dude humiliate themselves pitching in the high tension - high excitement park known as Fenway.

When I was younger we would see these young kids make the team out of spring training. Now they get the call from AA and make the spot starts when the reclamation projects don't make it. I guess that's the plan ... to buy the kids some time.

Or they would get traded for someone who was going to help them win the World Series NOW...(see Bagwell for Anderson). Win a few World Series and there's not that pressure to trade the big prospects for the Halliday of the year. The Phillies took the same approach holding onto Drabeck and Happ rather than giving everything away to win now....Pedroia, Youk, Ellsbury came up thru the system....They're doing something right compared to year's past...

To name a few - Jim Rice, Fred Lynn, Rick Burleson all came up through the AAA Pawtucket Red Sox.

Incredible when you look back at that 75 team and you see Fisk, Burleson, Petrocelli, Yaz, Rice, Lynn, Evans all of whom came up from the minors, Rice and Lynn both in the same season, just off the charts.

The way you build a team has changed so much with free agency; if you have a problem, just throw money at it...................

Yankees Reportedly Interested in Penny

"He's got good stuff,'' Johnny Damon said of Penny, whose fastball touched 97 mph and averaged 91 to 93. "His secondary stuff might need a little tweak but his fastball was electric, it cut and he hit his spots with it. Bring him here, why not? I love the way the guy competes."

In the end Penny was exactly what his splits said he'd be, if not a little worse. Historically the guy was horrible outside of his home parks in the NL, and was terrible versus the AL. Why any AL team would want him is beyond me. He belongs in the B league.

Brad Penny is an azzhole ...

Penny pays off in Giants debut - San Jose Mercury News

PHI
LADELPHIA — The Giants probably will spend more money on sod and fertilizer than they will tender Brad Penny for his services this season.
Boy, did they ever hit paydirt Wednesday night.
Penny's debut was a brilliant success, and Juan Uribe, another player acquired on the cheap, supplied most of the offense in a 4-0 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park

Which goes to show you three things;

1.) The National League is the B league, that league sucks (last year not withstanding).

2.) These are the Red Sox; despite them finally breaking through and winning not one but two World Series, in some ways (they ****can not one but two pitchers and BOTH of them have looked great since) they will always be your Grandfathers Red Sox.

3.) Our pitching coach blows.

Which goes to show you three things;

1.) The National League is the B league, that league sucks (last year not withstanding).

2.) These are the Red Sox; despite them finally breaking through and winning not one but two World Series, in some ways (they ****can not one but two pitchers and BOTH of them have looked great since) they will always be your Grandfathers Red Sox.

3.) Our pitching coach blows.

i totally disagree with point number two. smoltz has only had two starts . penny has had one. give it time they will suck again. the jays and the orioles are better than 80 percent of the national league teams. the al east is bye far the hardest to pitch in. the sox are anything but your grandfathers redsox and john farell is a very good pitching coach. see john lester papelbon ect ect. baseball is just a f--ked up game. sometimes there is just no explanation to how things workout. i blame smoltz and penny not the sox. you need a cold beer.

i totally disagree with point number two. smoltz has only had two starts . penny has had one. give it time they will suck again. the jays and the orioles are better than 80 percent of the national league teams. the al east is bye far the hardest to pitch in. the sox are anything but your grandfathers redsox and john farell is a very good pitching coach. see john lester papelbon ect ect. baseball is just a f--ked up game. sometimes there is just no explanation to how things workout. i blame smoltz and penny not the sox. you need a cold beer.

If Farell is a very good pitching coach, riddle me this; IF Beckett is not injured, explain why he has been lousy for not one, not two, not three but four strait outings. IF it's mechanics, a "very good" pitching coach would have corrected it by now.

Sutcliffe on the broadcast last night said Beckett's mechanics are all screwed up and guess what; he's NOT our pitching coach, but he can see it.

And our "very good" pitching coach screwed up Dice K, our 18 game winner last year.

And the bullpen, once a so called strength of this team, has imploded; Okajima, Ramirez, Del Carmen; (I DO NOT want to see this stiff in ONE MORE situation with a game on the line, period, he is effin terrible) thank Christ Papelbon got the 6 outs the other night or that would have been a disaster too.

He sucks, so deal with it.

If Farell is a very good pitching coach, riddle me this; IF Beckett is not injured, explain why he has been lousy for not one, not two, not three but four strait outings. IF it's mechanics, a "very good" pitching coach would have corrected it by now.

Sutcliffe on the broadcast last night said Beckett's mechanics are all screwed up and guess what; he's NOT our pitching coach, but he can see it.

And our "very good" pitching coach screwed up Dice K, our 18 game winner last year.

And the bullpen, once a so called strength of this team, has imploded; Okajima, Ramirez, Del Carmen; (I DO NOT want to see this stiff in ONE MORE situation with a game on the line, period, he is effin terrible) thank Christ Papelbon got the 6 outs the other night or that would have been a disaster too.

your over reacting again lol. dice k sucks because he put all his efforts into the world baseball classic. he came into spring training out of shape and not ready to play and he didn't follow the redsox off season program. who's fault is that? farrel? i don't think so. a pitching coach can point out mechanical issues to a pitcher but its up to the pitcher to fix it. john farrel cant throw the pitch. farrel was on nesn yesterday talking about beckett and some mechanical issues he has. he sees the same thing sutcliff does. the bullpen is one of the best in baseball. is it perfect? no[see manny delcareman] but no bullpen is. the redsox are 20 something games over 500 . they aren't a losing team. now go drink two beers and add some Valium and pull yourself together man.

Last edited:

If you listened the whole time you would have heard that they think he has arm fatigue which is common in September and that the fatigue is leading to a longer delivery to the plate so that he can get more speed. He tries to change the delivery to deal with the fatigue, but it doesn't work. The reason his speed on his fastball goes from 95-91 is because of the fatigue. Learn the facts and then post

I felt that Penny and Smoltz were better served in the NL rather the AL.

Learn the facts and then post

Gee, I guess you really told me; if he has arm fatigue, then shut him down for a start, WTF is the point of throwing him out there if he has a tired arm?

I have been of the opinion for many years now that every starter should skip 1 turn in the rotation in August. I think the benefits of the move outweigh the risks. Not a 6-man rotation but a full 9 days off between 1 start. Wouldn't hurt to try.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back