PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bowers and Heyward in round 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is, at least 2 are going in the 1st round.

This is a pretty kick-@$$ tangent, and long may it roam.

I'm just quoting this to highlight the fact that Brother Wroth's original point wasn't to define the "feature" back, but, rather, to argue that it's awfully likely that 2 Running Backs ~ rather than the generally accepted 1 ~ are likely to get their names called on Day 1, to the benefit of every Patriots fan in this room. And his research clearly carries the day. A+, sir, if I may be so presumptuous as to issue a grade. :D

These things happen all the time in the draft. All you have to do is look at prime examples 1. Gronkowski and 1A. Spikes and 1C. Hernandez from last year.

Gronkowski fell to the second round because of his back problems, certainly something much more serious than a knee problem.

Spikes fell because of his slow forty time at Indy and pot

and Hernandez fell because he tested positive for the weed.

The Pats scooped all three up, and aside from the cold pill fiasco, have not regretted it.

Marino fell to the Dophins because of pot rumours. These things happen all the time. If Bowers falls, I would scoop him in a heartbeat. This is not 30 years ago, knees can be fixed and he just had his surgery a few weeks ago and he is already running. Now I don't know if I would make him an OLB or keep him at DE, but aside from Dareus and Quinn, he would be #1 on my list.

Last edited:
These things happen all the time in the draft. All you have to do is look at prime examples 1. Gronkowski and 1A. Spikes and 1C. Hernandez from last year.

Gronkowski fell to the second round because of his back problems, certainly something much more serious than a knee problem.

Spikes fell because of his slow forty time at Indy and pot

and Hernandez fell because he tested positive for the weed.

The Pats scooped all three up, and aside from the cold pill fiasco, have not regretted it.

Marino fell to the Dophins because of pot rumours. These things happen all the time. If Bowers falls, I would scoop him in a heartbeat. This is not 30 years ago, knees can be fixed and he just had his surgery a few weeks ago and he is already running. Now I don't know if I would make him an OLB or keep him at DE, but aside from Dareus and Quinn, he would be #1 on my list.

Thank you for bringing that up. Sports Medicine has advanced drastically over the past few years. As recent as the mid-90s, if a pitcher had Tommy John surgery it was a near death sentence. And that particular procedure has developed in such a manner that it is almost a plus for pitchers as they come back and their arms are much stronger structurally than they were before, even at their peak health and are coming back with increased velocity and endurance.

You can look at Brady and Welker as perfect football relevant examples. 10 years ago if they suffer that injury their playing careers are probably finished. They came back and didn't miss a beat physically, the only challenge they had to overcome was getting used to the pace of the game and to overcome their fears of re-injury.

This isn't to stay that you shouldn't consider a players durability or ability to play at a high level while injured, but I'd be willing to put money on the fact that nearly every NFL player has to go under the knife for something at least once over the course of their career. If a single surgery is going to drop a premier talent 10 spots then I say bring him in.

i think it already passed

Wow really?! I haven't heard anything about bowers' knee recently. So does anyone know what the outcome of his exam was?

Wow really?! I haven't heard anything about bowers' knee recently. So does anyone know what the outcome of his exam was?

I've been looking for the results but I don't think they have been released yet. The only thing I have found is that the Bills team doctor reportedly cleared Bowers knee last week. The report also says that Denver and Buffalo are still interested, and if he gets to 8 the Titans will take him. I think this whole thing has been misinformation by teams hoping that he falls to them.

Report: Bills team doctor clears Bowers' knee - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

The outcome is as clear as the ringing silence now coming from those sources the darling media swallowed wholesale. Every team in the NFL now has an updated medical report sitting on their war room table, with no one talking about his injury status the original sources are trying to prevent drawing attention to the positive (for Mr. Bowers) news in that report. :p Busted!

This is all that i've been able to find in regard to the results of Bowers medical recheck.

A league source tells the Cleveland Plain Dealer that Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers' troublesome right knee "checked out good" during last week's Combine medical recheck in Indianapolis.

We'd be wary of the source being Bowers' agent, but whomever it is claimed last year's NCAA sacks leader "didn't even have to undergo another X-ray or MRI" because the knee is in such good shape. No swelling was apparent, and the "stability" of the knee is reportedly sound. Bowers will be in Cleveland on Tuesday and Wednesday. He remains in danger of slipping out of the top ten.

Report: Bowers' knee checked out well in Indy - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

If this is true we really need to start spreading some more rumors to get him to drop to 17.

The outcome is as clear as the ringing silence now coming from those sources the darling media swallowed wholesale. Every team in the NFL now has an updated medical report sitting on their war room table, with no one talking about his injury status the original sources are trying to prevent drawing attention to the positive (for Mr. Bowers) news in that report. :p Busted!

Yea my thoughts exactly box.

This is all that i've been able to find in regard to the results of Bowers medical recheck.

Report: Bowers' knee checked out well in Indy - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

If this is true we really need to start spreading some more rumors to get him to drop to 17.

Thanks for the info man. I am having my doubts we will be in any position to draft bowers. But hey, stranger things have happened in the draft.

I spoke too soon, the chorus has started up again and now has him slipping to the second round ... yet oddly enough, it's still some of the best water carriers for misinformation siting their sources. Last season you barely heard a peep when Sergio Kindle was suffering from his medical issues, poor Bowers getting the royal rectal exam in the media must truly have a serious condition (nudge, nudge, wink, wink ... ).

I've read (sorry don't remember where) that Bowers knee problem is of the degenerative type. If thats the case i don't see him having a long term career, which of course means he should drop like a rock in the draft.

I've read (sorry don't remember where) that Bowers knee problem is of the degenerative type. If thats the case i don't see him having a long term career, which of course means he should drop like a rock in the draft.

I too saw something, possibly on PFT about the issue. They claimed that a couple of team doctors question whether or not he could even finish his rookie campaign. Sounds kind of harsh to me.

I do not have enough information to have much of an opinion one way or another, and will have to leave this one up to Belichick and those posters who have better insight and have been following him more intently.

I still like the double dip in round 1 on the front seven followed by a RB, RT, G and then a CB later.

OLB - Bowers, Kerrigan, Smith, Quinn, or Sheard
DE- Heyward insert Watt, Jordan, Wilkerson, or Austin
RB - Ingram, Williams, Leshoure <-- make a contribution in year 1
CB - deep class, take your pick
RT - Carpenter, Franklin, Gilbert
G/C - Wisniewski, Pinkston, Boling, Moffitt, Ijalana, Fusco, Taylor

Bowers was in Foxboro today for a medical.

Seems like the front seven would be improved with pretty good depth, all starters would be 1st (Heyward, Wilfork, Warren, Bowers, Mayo) or 2nd rounders (Spikes, Cunningham)

Feel free to switch the names

Instead of Bowers insert Kerrigan, Smith, Quinn, or Sheard
Instead of Heyward insert Watt, Jordan, Wilkerson, or Austin

If they double dip on the front seven we should have a pretty good set of smash mouth, high talent players across the defensive front.

ROLB----Cunningham, TBC
RDE - Heyward, Stroud
RILB ------------ Mayo, Fletcher
NT- Wilfork, Brace
LILB ------------ Spikes, Guyton
LDE - Warren, Wright
LOLB----Bowers, Ninko, Moore

bold indicates starters

I nailed this one, the streak continues...

I nailed this one, the streak continues...

...of not getting any of Bill's draft selections correct,
incl. Two RBs - and Zero Front-7 Defenders - inside the top 75?
You're not alone.

Just curious: if Bill had kept #28, whom from Bowers, Heywood & Mo Wilkerson
would you have wished that Bill had chosen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey