PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Sports Journal... worth subscribing to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I subscribe to BSJ and like it primarily due to Chris Price on the Pats and BRobb on the Celtics. It's not expensive and having the app makes it a handy place to get to for Boston sports information. I also like to read Miguel's stuff and like Mike Loyko's take on the Boston sports scene, so that makes it worth it for me.

I may check out The Athletic because I always enjoyed Howe when he wrote for the Herald and now Matt Chatham is writing for them, and I find his pieces intelligent and informative.

Last edited:
Ok, here's what we need:
Price and Miguel bolt BSJ; Howe and Chatham leave the Athletic and most importantly, Reiss leaves espn and all 5 emerge in the same place. I can dream.

Throw in McAdam, Robb & and Gulizia and that would be $25 a month I'd consider very well spent

My answer would absolutely be, yes. Christopher Price and Miguel are obviously two big reasons why and Greg's analysis has always been incredibly solid, especially as it pertains to film breakdowns, etc. In a world full of TMZ headlines and click-driven content, the market is pretty diluted with articles that lack anything substantial. They do a great job of sticking more to football and less of the other stuff, which is obviously nice to see.

Anyone who has been following this team for the last two decades has probably noticed that the shift toward the social media and click-driven articles is taking a disturbing turn in killing quality writing. I have my own personal thoughts on this situation that I won't get into, but I do believe they've done a great job at BSJ and it's definitely worth the price for the coverage of each of the teams. Plus they're just a bunch of guys doing it on their own against other corporations while creating a pretty solid outlet. They've also been tailoring their coverage based on what people are asking for, which is exactly what you would hope other outlets would do. The only other one who ever did/does that - Mike Reiss - is one of the reasons why he's so terrific, so it's nice to have some other great guys doing the same thing.

I subscribed for one year...I never like approving an automatic renewal, so I bought a gift subscription for myself. I like it, but I wish there were more content.

...Plus they're just a bunch of guys doing it on their own against other corporations while creating a pretty solid outlet. They've also been tailoring their coverage based on what people are asking for, which is exactly what you would hope other outlets would do.

Two well articulated reasons to support them. The corporate business model is what's behind/underneath much of what we complain about here, not just in media but in the NFL, and even the Red Sox. Anything that's locally inspired and takes local/customer feedback seriously is an asset to the media ecosystem.

Last edited:
The only other one who ever did/does that - Mike Reiss - is one of the reasons why he's so terrific
Poor Reiss... ESPN had already trampled that blog to death, but now it's borderline unreadable. For instance, his Sunday notes are already nowhere to be found when I scroll down the page, despite the fact it is his most recent article. I would gladly fork my money over to BSJ, or whomever, if only for this man's emancipation.

Two well articulate reasons to support them.
Articulate, you say? Put him in the defensive backfield! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back