PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Globe: "Patriots Need to Protect Mac Jones Before the Developmental Damage is Done"

Popovich was clearly the coaching talent. The current OLine guy sucks. And the OLine worked last year with Onwenu at RT. Not with Durant at RT who joined Sept1 or 7th round pick Herron who is not a NFL player but a great guy off the field. Both SUCK as football players.

Herron played well last season in spot duty, this season not so much. But the entire unit is lost, not cohesive or communicating properly. Execution can be fixed, it’s not a lack of “talent.”

Lol well I am shocked at which side you're on with this issue.
The sky is falling, the talent sucks, everybody panic… I should be on your side?

It doesn't matter how good your WR is if you don't have an OL to give your QB enough time to throw the ball.
Matt Ryan had Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley on the field at the same, but really couldn't do anything with them because the OL was trash!

From what I am hearing here, I wasn't able to watch the game because I live in ATL, the same thing is going on with Jones.
SB 55 is a perfect example of this.

Herron never played well last season. Every single game he played the OLine was terrible, people blamed it on Cam. Herron has never been good. It's not like he was good last year and bad this year. Herron was never a good player.

Herron played well last season in spot duty, this season not so much. But the entire unit is lost, not cohesive or communicating properly. Execution can be fixed, it’s not a lack of “talent.”

Herron never played well last season. Every single game he played the OLine was terrible, people blamed it on Cam. Herron has never been good. It's not like he was good last year and bad this year. Herron was never a good player
I don’t put much stock in PFF but they had the Pat’s O-Line 4th best in the league to end the year. The majority of other publications that ranked lines also had them in the top ten. The whole line is playing poorly, even the seasoned vets. Herron in 2020:

The sky isn’t falling, execution is something they can improve and Trent Brown will hopefully be back.

I don’t put much stock in PFF but they had the Pat’s O-Line 4th best in the league to end the year. The majority of other publications that ranked lines also had them in the top ten. The whole line is playing poorly, even the seasoned vets. Herron in 2020:

The sky isn’t falling, execution is something they can improve and Trent Brown will hopefully be back.

Thanks.
I'll look into it.
Chargers blowout. OK.
1. Do the Chargers suck. Yes.
2. Only 27 snaps. Usually snap count is 3x higher. Did he play only garbage time in a 45-0 victory. Likely.
3. How much was it Thuney helping him look good. Because it's looking like Thuney was also masking how bad Wynn is.

This is why I get worried if there are morons in the Pats org taking random info and making catastrophically bad decisions because they don't know how to analyze information. Herron isn't a good tackle even if a 27 snap game in a blowout says he was ok

Thanks.
I'll look into it.
Chargers blowout. OK.
1. Do the Chargers suck. Yes.
2. Only 27 snaps. Usually snap count is 3x higher. Did he play only garbage time in a 45-0 victory. Likely.
3. How much was it Thuney helping him look good. Because it's looking like Thuney was also masking how bad Wynn is.

This is why I get worried if there are morons in the Pats org taking random info and making catastrophically bad decisions because they don't know how to analyze information. Herron isn't a good tackle even if a 27 snap game in a blowout says he was ok
They need to play better as a unit whether Brown is back next week or not. They also have Cajuste out there who might be able to provide some relief if he can ever stay healthy, he looked dominant in preseason and was flattening opponents.

Even with a fill-in RT the real issue with the Line is communication and execution. Like the rest of the team they’re simply not playing well and the rest of the offense can’t do their job if the Line doesn’t do theirs.

They need to play better as a unit whether Brown is back next week or not. They also have Cajuste out there who might be able to provide some relief if he can ever stay healthy, he looked dominant in preseason and was flattening opponents.

Even with a fill-in RT the real issue with the Line is communication and execution. Like the rest of the team they’re simply not playing well and the rest of the offense can’t do their job if the Line doesn’t do theirs.

If you're a pass-happy spread shotgun team, then your LT and RT need to be elite and durable. Fill the interior OLine with JAGS. Don't play scrubs at RT. It also makes it easier for your RB to just focus on pass blocking up the gut instead of guess wide left or wide right and often whiff. The whole thing does not work if your tackles suck and you keep calling 45 spread shotgun plays a game. Recipe for disaster. As has already been evident.

Mac is going to get Andrew Luck'd if they don't fix whatever the problem is with the OL. Not sustainable.
This is who I thought of last night. Andrew Luck took OL like this to the playoffs.

SB 55 is a perfect example of this.
Super Bowl 42 as well. Strahan spoke about this yesterday and said the Pats were stubborn and still wanted to chuck it deep.

Super Bowl 42 as well. Strahan spoke about this yesterday and said the Pats were stubborn and still wanted to chuck it deep.
Yep.

Now that you mention it, those games were very similar.

McDaniels was hell bent on throwing bombs no matter what. I'm willing to say the Pats win that game comfortably if they run more.

Reid didn't run it enough last year either. He simply played into the Bucs hands.

Oh well.

I guess the point is that it doesn't matter if you've got 3 Jerry Rice's out there. If the QB doesn't have time it's moot.

Herron is a nice story.

But that doesn't win football games.

Sad to say.

He's a liability out there.

I dont watch closely enough to know whether its just bad blocking, bad playcalling, or if Jones is setting wrong protections at line.... Im sure a combination of all of these?

Oh boy, another thread that is ~40 percent DKF complaining about McDaniels.
Well, it hasn't been pretty. I know some posters have particular axes to grind, but McDaniels is definitely fair game so far. And the decision not to shuffle the line doesn't look great either.

Well, it hasn't been pretty. I know some posters have particular axes to grind, but McDaniels is definitely fair game so far. And the decision not to shuffle the line doesn't look great either.
McDaniels isn’t the issue per se, it’s the seemingly neverending posts that are all slight variations on the same thesis: that McDaniels is personally responsible for every bad thing that has or will happen to the Patriots.

Just adopt “Josh McDaniels is history’s greatest monster” as a signature, problem solved.

For sure it's just the fact that he spams every thread with the same drivel. There's no insight or knowledge in his post. No original thought. Which isn't required but he's been spamming the board for over a year now.

It's one thing if he's adding to conversation or bringing up an interesting point. He's not. I honestly have no problem him but his post read like a casual young fan. I'm not even being mean but there's nothing there but an angry post and someone who doesn't understand the game. Clearly needs attention by all the threads he makes.

Herron allowed 8 pressures against NO. Andrews 4. The pats O-Line allowed 16 in summary. I think Herron played well last season. I think this year the other guys struggling more doesn't help him much, he probably faced Jordan a few times I don't have stats where he lined up mostly but overall i thought he would make a bit of a jump in his second year. It's not looking that way so far. I hope they try some different line-ups. It doesn't cost anything, just give it a shot.

Maybe bill should put his 5 best OL out there rather than putting in a stiff to keep continuity

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back