PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Globe: "Patriots Need to Protect Mac Jones Before the Developmental Damage is Done"

Also the WRs cannot get open so Mac has to hold onto the ball too long; the OL cannot protect him forever. The WR situation on the Patriots is a pretty dire.

I am starting to really believe Bill is checked out.
Bedard said Patricia was mostly running things during TC. I wonder if he still is now. Would explain the dumpster fire we are watching.

Popovich was clearly the coaching talent.

Maybe, but I don't think much of the guy. Imagine packing your bags because your employer wants to protect his employees from getting sick and thereby ruining the product? Not exactly faithful to the players he was coaching or the team.

Lazar and Perry, in my opinion, have been generating good insights and summaries. Here is Lazar:

"Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels’s game plans are uninspiring and lack anything unique for the teams’ new weapons. There’s very little motion or tempo, and the situational play-calling is at times horrific.

The explanation that it’s three games into the season with an overhauled offense makes sense because it looks like the Pats are calling plays in a training camp practice.

But we are on multiple seasons with this type of look offensively for McDaniels, and the excuses about lacking skill talent are getting old after Bill Belichick’s aggressive offseason."

Have to wonder what plays he's referring to:

"If you’re looking to nitpick, Jones admitted to some fault on a few of the odd running plays we saw in Sunday’s game, telling CLNS Media, 'a lot of the plays, I could’ve stuck with them instead of changing them.'"

"If you’re looking to nitpick, Jones admitted to some fault on a few of the odd running plays we saw in Sunday’s game, telling CLNS Media, 'a lot of the plays, I could’ve stuck with them instead of changing them.'"
I am not a McDaniels fan, but to say this is his fault after he has been OC on super offenses and superbowl teams, and now all of the sudden he sucks? Seems odd....If you have bad players, you are not going to look good as a coach.

I am not a McDaniels fan, but to say this is his fault after he has been OC on super offenses and superbowl teams, and now all of the sudden he sucks? Seems odd....If you have bad players, you are not going to look good as a coach.
Yeah - I pretty much tune that out. That being said, however, I wonder how much the OLine disaster falls on him since it's technically under his jurisdiction.

Then there's this from that same article:
"New England’s running play-calls were all over the place. Brandon Bolden had three carries in James White’s role, gaining negative yardage (-1). They were running when they should’ve been throwing and throwing when they should’ve been running. Get a two-high coverage, pass. Get one-high, run. It made no sense. Plus, way too many runs to the right side."

Jones seems to want to take the blame for everything, even when it’s clearly not his fault. Its just a matter of time until he takes the blame for a defensive play. :)

Bedard said Patricia was mostly running things during TC
Is this true? Do you have a link to that at all? Because if it is, that’s huge, I really thought Belichick would be energized by the challenge, it would be too bad if that’s not the case

Is this true? Do you have a link to that at all? Because if it is, that’s huge, I really thought Belichick would be energized by the challenge, it would be too bad if that’s not the case

I subscribe to Bedard and it's absolutely not what was said.

Bedard noted Patricia signed a bonus check (might have been Cam's) and that it was meaningful pertaining to responsibilities.

But a long way from saying Matt Patricia was mostly running things.

For the record, says the guy who doesn't even think the OLine is a problem. Not sure if he knows how to turn the TV on.

Why overpay 2 new TEs each making Kelce money if you suspect your oc is going to play spread shotgun no matter what...
Why bring Karras back if you're going to play scrubs Durant/Herron no matter what....
Why spend $150M in free agency but then cheap out on Gilmore over $, making your defense much worse ?

Also the WRs cannot get open so Mac has to hold onto the ball too long; the OL cannot protect him forever. The WR situation on the Patriots is a pretty dire.

This sounds way too much like the frustrating 2005/2006 seasons with the same oc. It's like the guy never learned how to develop talent in 15 yrs.

Info from Lazar. Seems to reason that never playing Herron ever again, letting Karras play (move Onwenu), should result in fewer than 18 QB Pressures.

Screenshot_20210928-004030.png

She's a sports columnist for the Boston Globe
I get that

but does the globe really even have a sports section worth reading anymore?

has she done anything to give credence to anything she writes?

Info from Lazar. Seems to reason that never playing Herron ever again, letting Karras play (move Onwenu), should result in fewer than 18 QB Pressures.

View attachment 36069
18 pressures in 50 pass attempts? Thats not even that bad. Its not good, but its not the worst I have seen.

Deja Vu with the exact same OC handling a young QB. Mac gets it out way faster but all the QB hits and QB pressures is eerily similar.

St Louis article, Oct'2011: "Sam Bradford has been sacked 18 times this season. At this rate, he will be sacked 72 times, a number that would be the second most in NFL history, behind only the 76 sacks heaped upon David Carr in 2002. The current sack rate borders on criminal negligence. (Sticking with the crime theme, the amount of money being paid to the offensive line borders on grand larceny)."

Why overpay 2 new TEs each making Kelce money if you suspect your oc is going to play spread shotgun no matter what...
Why bring Karras back if you're going to play scrubs Durant/Herron no matter what....
Why spend $150M in free agency but then cheap out on Gilmore over $, making your defense much worse ?
They're not making Kelce money and his contract will run until he's 36 years old - at the second most injured position on the field.

Mac has zero time to even set his feet to make a throw. the oc is getting this kid killed.

They're not making Kelce money and his contract will run until he's 36 years old - at the second most injured position on the field.

Both tight ends are making top dollars, like 4th after the big names. And both pre Pats looked good on the Titans and Chargers respectively. They get here and almost no targets to try to get them the ball in the red zone.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back