PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boomer Esiason Down On 2020 Patriots, Believes Cam Newton Is Bad Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boomer is ALWAYS positive about the pats whenever he is on the WEEI morning shows. They could lose 2 games in a row by 50 and he would still say they are a great team and are contenders. Maybe instead of calling it a hot take listen to him because when he starts being negative there is probably a good reason.

You literally just gave reasons why nobody should care much what he is saying in your first two sentences before then telling people that his newest take is not a hot take because "probably there is a good reason". Why should I give someone the benefit of doubt when he is the same kind of person who keeps telling people everything is fine if they lose 2 in a row.

Credibility works both ways.

Funny enough, in his first game Cam actually broke Peyton Manning’s record for most yards thrown in an NFL debut with 422 yards. And he still holds the record for most yards thrown in the first two games of an NFL career. All that to say, Cam has really never been a run-first QB as many may have perceived.

You know exactly what it is. Take a amazingly athletic QB who is black and produces a lot of value on his feet and people will slap the "running QB" label on him and never look back.

It is mind blowing BB is rolling with no tight ends...

He just double dipped in Day 2 of the draft and got 2 young, promising TE prospects. He has made an attempt to address that glaring weakness, whether those players are the answer or not remains to be seen, but the effort has been made to address the hole on offense

Boomer is ALWAYS positive about the pats whenever he is on the WEEI morning shows. They could lose 2 games in a row by 50 and he would still say they are a great team and are contenders. Maybe instead of calling it a hot take listen to him because when he starts being negative there is probably a good reason.

I think Newtons best days are behind him but at the same time the pats have set him up to fail because beside Edelman who every single team should be double teaming, the receives and tight ends are a joke.

It is mind blowing BB is rolling with no tight ends and the same group of receives that could no get separation, run the right routes or catch the ball and expects any QB to have success.

Also when you can, listen to him on WFAN, I am in the NYC area on a regular basis and his takes on the Pats seem a little different down there than on WEEI.

So I was being snarky, it's what I go for most of the time on this forum :) ... but actually I like Boomer, in fact I liked him coming out of college and when he was at Cinci, I liked him on TV and I like him on radio. I also am skeptical about the Pats, how can you not be with all the transition, and I totally understand that Boomer or anyone in his position is paid to not be a fence-sitter on things.

It is but isn't that why we're focused on being a physical, bully of a team. As opposed to asking Stid to work with that very group?

I'm not saying either will work. It just seems when comparing styles, what we have to work with from a personnel standpoint. That Cam/Strong OL, running game might give us the best chance. Again I'm just saying that's something I could buy.
agree that physical running game is their best bet, but I do not understand if that was the plan, why not sign Leonard Fournette. I do not see Sony, Damien, Rex or James as physical runners

Last edited:
It was the same way in 2015. I was told I made these numbers up by someone on here.
Agreed; 2015 & 2018 particularly...when he had clean pockets & above average pass blocking, Cam was deadly from the pocket. People are just bias & don’t use context when watching games.

He just double dipped in Day 2 of the draft and got 2 young, promising TE prospects. He has made an attempt to address that glaring weakness, whether those players are the answer or not remains to be seen, but the effort has been made to address the hole on offense
Also, he said the same receivers as last year that could not get separation.. First, Gunner had 4 whole targets all last year so I am, not sure what we could have determined from that. He is supposedly light years ahead of last year. Second, Byrd wasnt even on the team last year. JE was hurt all year. Sanu had a good game then got hurt, and is gone. Harry was also injured.

Regardless, I get being down on the squad since its pretty unknown and not very deep. But stating we are running the same receivers as last year isnt really accurate.

I’m talking about the posted stats and how I brought this same thing up last month. And was told I was making it up.

What about me joining in July means anything?
I misunderstood you and deleted the post. Take a Xanax.

Cam isn’t a run-first quarterback. There are none of those in the NFL. Not even Jackson. Going through your hot read and then maybe your second read in your progression before taking off does not make one a “run-first” quarterback. Cam is, however, a guy who needs his legs in order to make what he can do from the pocket work. That’s evidenced by that stat posted above combined with the fact that he has topped 4,000 yards passing once in his career - his rookie year. The question is how much he has left in his legs. That’ll be answered, and hopefully it’s a lot. From what I saw when I broke down his 2018 film on Game Pass prior to the free agency period, he still looked like the Cam of old on designed runs. It was when the play broke down that he looked like he lost some explosiveness.

Last edited:
I misunderstood you and deleted the post. Take a Xanax.
I should take a Xanax because you failed at reading correctly? All I did was explain why your question was confusing. Sorry if Your insecurity took over from there.

I should take a Xanax because you failed at reading correctly? All I did was explain why your question was confusing. Sorry if Your insecurity took over from there.
Yes. That’s exactly what you should do.

Bb would not sign him to be the starter if he’s a bad fit. Jmd has had plenty time to plan this offense around cam now, I think it’ll be fine.

Would it help me understand how to blame someone else when I stick my foot in my mouth.
Actually, my response to you was mostly in jest, but now I’m beginning to wonder if I was close to the mark. You seem... familiar.

Bb would not sign him to be the starter if he’s a bad fit. Jmd has had plenty time to plan this offense around cam now, I think it’ll be fine.
He’s definitely a schematic fit. He played in a similar version of the E-P under Turner. My questions about him in New England are solely based around what he has left in the tank, physically.

You literally just gave reasons why nobody should care much what he is saying in your first two sentences before then telling people that his newest take is not a hot take because "probably there is a good reason". Why should I give someone the benefit of doubt when he is the same kind of person who keeps telling people everything is fine if they lose 2 in a row.

Credibility works both ways.

There has been countless times times over the years the pats look absolutely awful, people, including myself, say they are done but Boomer comes on and say the pats will be there in the end. Guess what? He is usually right.

Actually, my response to you was mostly in jest, but now I’m beginning to wonder if I was close to the mark. You seem... familiar.
So you only partly blamed me for your incompetence. You could have easily stopped at “misunderstanding” which I thought was probably it. But you had to stroke your hurt feelings with the Xanax shot. I did nothing but explain myself.

And I didn’t know this board existed before July. So whoever you wrongly blamed before must have just been coincidence. Or a pattern. I’m sure mods can check to see if I’m someone else.

Newton is known acting up if things go south. Were still in the honeymoon phase right now and all you see and hear from Cam is love for BB and the Patriots. Lose a few game in succession due to mistake prone QB play and Boston fans will turn on you like a snake. BB starts looking at other options for QB at practice. I will not be shocked to see Stidham starting at some point this season.

The QB that has to follow Tom Brady is almost in a no win situation.

I'm willing to cut Tom's replacement some slack, no matter who it is. It's not fair to expect any QB to fill Tom's shoes.

All roads point to trying to re-establish a running game like we had with Trent Brown at LT in 2018. We don't have Brown but we have a good OL and now have a power-running QB. Newton has a good skillset for this type of offense. Good (not great) collection of RB's. Some good possession receivers. I think they'll score more TD's than FG's when inside the 10. It's not a bad group in the hands of two great coaches in BB and McD, and there's no reason they can't score points while eating up time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down