PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Book claims that Brady was furious with Kraft after Deflategate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deflategate was from the beginning about owner politics and Roger Goodell keeping his job.

We have to remember 2014 was the season of the Ray Rice fiasco. Goodell’s mishandling of that situation left Goodell in jeopardy of being fired.

The NFL requires a super majority of 75% of the teams to take such an action. Having the support of just 9 of the 32 teams would keep Goodell his job. Among NFL owners, the 3 biggest motivations are maximizing revenue, minimizing the revenue they share with the players and fear and loathing of the New England Patriots. Goodell saw the third as the way to solidify his base support and keep his job.

It was a set up from the beginning. Goodell’s cronies in NY in cahoots with the Ravens and Colts two of Goodell’s most loyal franchises put the plan in motion. They knew about the Ideal Gas Law. They knew the balls would lose air pressure in the cold and rainy conditions. They were the ones who promulgated false information and created the narrative of guilt from which the Patriots never had a chance to defend themselves.

The Patriots were confused and befuddled by the situation as most would be if accused of something they had not done. I think lots of bad things about Bill Belichick these days, but I don’t think he intentionally threw Brady under the bus. He was just trying to make sense of it all and unintentionally gave Goodell and his jack-booted thugs a clear path at Brady.

NFL owners had ceded too much power to the Commissioner in wake of the Al Davis lawsuits and labor strife. Men like Pete Rozell and Paul Tagliabue could be trusted with the power, but despotic Goodell used it to favor supportive franchises and punish unsupportive ones.

As much as we hated seeing it, Kraft had no choice but to capitulate to that power. Our football team would have suffered even more if he had chosen to make a frontal attack on the Commissioner’s authority.

When Roger Goodell got his contract extension last fall, it was portrayed as an act of approval for Goodell’s leadership by owners in the media. But, when you look at the details of the contract, you see it really wasn’t as it appeared.

For starters, Goodell’s $ 40 million a year salary is not fully guaranteed. Only 10% is guaranteed. The rest is made up of bonuses earned at the discretion of the owners. Goodell must also meet with the owners to answer their question and hear their complaints at every league meeting. Plus, Goodell’s Madison Avenue mafia have mostly been removed from their positions in the league office including his PR apparatus. By giving Goodell this extension, the owners started taking back some of the authority previously given to the Commissioner’s office.

How did this happen? Bob Kraft and other owners formed their own firm group of 9 clubs or more which could have prevented the other owners from offering Goodell whose contract was expiring an extension without a compromise. The compromise was making Goodell more accountable to all the owners and a lame duck Commissioner who most likely will be sacrificed to the players in the next CBA negotiations. Kraft’s long game strategy is working.

The lengths people go to in this thread to create a conspiracy theory around everything that happened with the JG trade you would think it is someone called QBAnon posting this garbage.

I’m almost through the book and for me, a key point is regarding Brady’s agent and his recommendations to Brady prior to his meeting with the league. Basically, NFLPA (Smith/McPhee) reached out to Brady’s agent Don Yee to request Brady’s phone records. Yee told the NFLPA lawyers, no, and he would handle things moving forward. This was a huge mistake as Yee, while being a good agent, was not a litigator and the league was well within legal parameters to request those records.

Not sure if any variation of this was posted but jeez. Brady man.......

So, do the people that have casted doubt on what's in the book throughout feel good about this being accurate or will this be doubted as well? I'm guessing that this will be accepted because it shines a positive light on Brady and the organization (and it should).

I’m almost through the book and for me, a key point is regarding Brady’s agent and his recommendations to Brady prior to his meeting with the league. Basically, NFLPA (Smith/McPhee) reached out to Brady’s agent Don Yee to request Brady’s phone records. Yee told the NFLPA lawyers, no, and he would handle things moving forward. This was a huge mistake as Yee, while being a good agent, was not a litigator and the league was well within legal parameters to request those records.

Only if Brady had a Patriots issued phone. The league has absolutely no rights to ask for his private phone.

Only if Brady had a Patriots issued phone. The league has absolutely no rights to ask for his private phone.

I think you’re misunderstanding my post with respect to the point being made in the book. Here you have Brady’s NFLPA lawyers asking for Brady to cooperate with the investigation and his agent not only turning them away, but telling them he would take it from there. This wasn’t the first time Yee, steps over them, he did it in the immediate aftermath of the media report but convincing Brady to hold a PC despite Smith and McPhee telling him not to. From the NFLPA perspective, play nice with Wells out of professional respect because he would have an uphill battle against Brady.

I think you’re misunderstanding my post with respect to the point being made in the book. Here you have Brady’s NFLPA lawyers asking for Brady to cooperate with the investigation and his agent not only turning them away, but telling them he would take it from there. This wasn’t the first time Yee, steps over them, he did it in the immediate aftermath of the media report but convincing Brady to hold a PC despite Smith and McPhee telling him not to. From the NFLPA perspective, play nice with Wells out of professional respect because he would have an uphill battle against Brady.

You wrote the league was within legal rights to those records. I disagree completely with that statement. That's all i wrote. None of the Yee stuff interests me one bit anymore because it was Brady's decision to do it that way and that's how things went.

You wrote the league was within legal rights to those records. I disagree completely with that statement. That's all i wrote. None of the Yee stuff interests me one bit anymore because it was Brady's decision to do it that way and that's how things went.

You don’t believe the league can request his cell phone records citing communication regarding an active investigation? Notice I said request as opposed to demand? You seem to be motivated here to argue a point that I’ve never attempted to make. I never implied Brady was obligated to turn over his phone or records to anyone.what I did imply was that Brady did not want to cooperate with his own defense based on advice from his agent. Wells requested his records through his defense, his defense went through his agent....all legal channels were followed to request those records. Yee declined.

Why do we need another book to tell us that Brady was mad. He had just been thrown under the bus (even if Kraft thought he had a "deal" :rolleyes:).

Of course he was mad.

Just a rehash of what we've known for a long time. Kraft ****ed up royally and has admitted it countless times since that nightmarish announcement (once I saw the NFL logo and not the Patriots logo on the banner behind Kraft, I knew Kraft had caved and Brady was screwed). Brady was mad. How is this "news?"

You get my point.
I do and I apologize for sounding like **** there, which sometimes I intend to, but did not with your post. I was just trying to emphasize that Brady had rights as much, or more, as the league did.

How is the book? Worth buying / reading?

Deflategate was from the beginning about owner politics and Roger Goodell keeping his job.

We have to remember 2014 was the season of the Ray Rice fiasco. Goodell’s mishandling of that situation left Goodell in jeopardy of being fired.

The NFL requires a super majority of 75% of the teams to take such an action. Having the support of just 9 of the 32 teams would keep Goodell his job. Among NFL owners, the 3 biggest motivations are maximizing revenue, minimizing the revenue they share with the players and fear and loathing of the New England Patriots. Goodell saw the third as the way to solidify his base support and keep his job.

It was a set up from the beginning. Goodell’s cronies in NY in cahoots with the Ravens and Colts two of Goodell’s most loyal franchises put the plan in motion. They knew about the Ideal Gas Law. They knew the balls would lose air pressure in the cold and rainy conditions. They were the ones who promulgated false information and created the narrative of guilt from which the Patriots never had a chance to defend themselves.

The Patriots were confused and befuddled by the situation as most would be if accused of something they had not done. I think lots of bad things about Bill Belichick these days, but I don’t think he intentionally threw Brady under the bus. He was just trying to make sense of it all and unintentionally gave Goodell and his jack-booted thugs a clear path at Brady.

NFL owners had ceded too much power to the Commissioner in wake of the Al Davis lawsuits and labor strife. Men like Pete Rozell and Paul Tagliabue could be trusted with the power, but despotic Goodell used it to favor supportive franchises and punish unsupportive ones.

As much as we hated seeing it, Kraft had no choice but to capitulate to that power. Our football team would have suffered even more if he had chosen to make a frontal attack on the Commissioner’s authority.

When Roger Goodell got his contract extension last fall, it was portrayed as an act of approval for Goodell’s leadership by owners in the media. But, when you look at the details of the contract, you see it really wasn’t as it appeared.

For starters, Goodell’s $ 40 million a year salary is not fully guaranteed. Only 10% is guaranteed. The rest is made up of bonuses earned at the discretion of the owners. Goodell must also meet with the owners to answer their question and hear their complaints at every league meeting. Plus, Goodell’s Madison Avenue mafia have mostly been removed from their positions in the league office including his PR apparatus. By giving Goodell this extension, the owners started taking back some of the authority previously given to the Commissioner’s office.

How did this happen? Bob Kraft and other owners formed their own firm group of 9 clubs or more which could have prevented the other owners from offering Goodell whose contract was expiring an extension without a compromise. The compromise was making Goodell more accountable to all the owners and a lame duck Commissioner who most likely will be sacrificed to the players in the next CBA negotiations. Kraft’s long game strategy is working.

I generally agree with all this but I don't think the league knew about the IGL. Troy Vincent was bewildered when they asked him about it (and I doubt he's a good enough actor to fake that). You're giving them way too much credit.

There is little chance the colts and ravens knew what the ideal gas law was. These are not educated people were talking about, even their owners and GMs. They probably thought the patriots were actually deflating the balls because they are too stupid to realize the weather conditions had an effect on ball pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents