PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Booing a 12-3 home team for going 3 and out: No Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they told you that booing actually motivates them to perform better. Not that they see it as people ignorantly/childishly giving voice to impatience and frustration. I find that odd. Again, I don't think you'll find any athletes disputing a fan's right to boo, just that it has no impact on performance.

They've told me that it depends on the circumstances. Idiots booing after the winning streak isn't going to motivate them. People booing in instances where the players know they are playing poorly, on the other hand, motivates a lot of them.

People booing in instances where the players know they are playing poorly, on the other hand, motivates a lot of them.

OK. Then why don't we see BB rallying the crowd to boo? Or maybe that's Brady's job? I suppose it could be they're too embarrassed to admit they can't accomplish that sort of motivation without help from the wise and learned fans. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
the ugly boo's

"Booo, this team makes me sick to my stomach, booo" :enranged:

"Booo, bunch of has beens, booo" :enranged:

"Boooo, Boooo, scumbag losers, get outta here, go home" :enranged:

Last edited:
Obviously I am in the minority, but when the team is playing poorly I don't boo - I just stay totally quiet. Players heading off the field at halftime to a stadium so quiet you can hear a pin drop sends just as loud a message as booing does. I understand why people boo; I just don't agree with it nor will I join in.

I do, however have a pet peeve in regards to a certain segment of the home crowd: far too many make noise at the wrong time. I realize that it is counter to a normal automatic reaction to being on offense versus being on defense, but too many fans are loud prior to when the Pats snap the ball, and not nearly enough are being as loud as they can when the opposing QB is calling the signals.

There was a guy in 107 this past game urging the crowd to stand up and cheer on a key 3rd down in the second half. I was floored by his lack of knowledge and yelled "we're on offense, stop telling people that don't know better the wrong thing."

OK. Then why don't we see BB rallying the crowd to boo? Or maybe that's Brady's job? I suppose it could be they're too embarrassed to admit they can't accomplish that sort of motivation without help from the wise and learned fans. :rolleyes:

Actually, Kris Humphries' coach IS calling on people to keep booing the guy. However, that's not generally what is meant when you talk about this motivating people, and you know that, just as you you know your BB comment has nothing to do with it either.

Unfortunately, this conversation can never be more than "he said" "But, he said", since we're talking about private talks.

Last edited:
I think its disgusting that anyone would boo this team just because they went three and out. Now That Is being spoiled rotten.

Actually, Kris Humphries' coach IS calling on people to keep booing the guy. However, that's not generally what is meant when you talk about this motivating people, and you know that, just as you you know your BB comment has nothing to do with it either.

Unfortunately, this conversation can never be more than "he said" "But, he said", since we're talking about private talks.

I can tell you that my anecdotes came from members of the Chicago Bears and Denver Broncos during my days as a newspaper reporter. Their comments about being booed were off the record but quite enlightening.

There was a guy in 107 this past game urging the crowd to stand up and cheer on a key 3rd down in the second half. I was floored by his lack of knowledge and yelled "we're on offense, stop telling people that don't know better the wrong thing."

That's embarrassing, They should print boldly on every ticket directions on how to cheer for better results. "MAKE NOISE WHEN OPPONENT IS ON OFFENSE" give out pamphlets, something.

Can't they type when to cheer on the jumbotron?

Last edited:
That's embarrassing, They should print boldly on every ticket directions on how to cheer for better results. "MAKE NOISE WHEN OPPONENT IS ON OFFENSE" give out pamphlets, something.

100% of the time the people I've seen at Gillette who were trying to urge the crowd on while we're on offense were drunk.

100% of the time the people I've seen at Gillette who were trying to urge the crowd on while we're on offense were drunk.

There's no defense for knowledgeable fans to boo only to be silent on the opponents possession. That's pure counter productive stupidity at it's finest. Some action needed in that department for sure.

Agree with TS 100%.

It wasn't like our guys didn't try, they had a couple of bad plays.
It's like if you have a jackass for boss, and you do a great job all week and then you do a couple of small mistakes and he goes all out on you. That's ****.

Our players are doing a great job, and we shouldn't discredit them for having a couple of bad plays. Hell, we shouldn't boo them even if they had a bad game.

As a "Kick-ball" (Soccer) fan, we always try to cheer even more when hings are not going our way, just to motivate them. That's how fans really can turn into the 12:th player.

Based on reports of the Belichick halftime "pep talk", I would surmise the players probably preferred the booing.

Maybe that the other side of the 12th man concept.

The booing is the only side of the 12th man that the pats see at home.

to me, the booing is about the the fact that the pats should be showing better than they were.

its not because they were losing, it was because of how uninspiring the play was. it literally looked like the dolphins were the home team.

I sincerely believe that all fans have a right to expects better from the pats than they got in the first half. and they got it in the 2nd half

One thing has me pretty pissed, the fact that the Foxboro fan base is way too ready to boo their home team. I hear boos for going 3 and out against Miami (in a win), or for giving up a TD drive to the Colts in garbage time (also a win). It's embarrassing. Fans should not be booing a 12-3 team, a team that has dominated the AFC for a decade. All it does is prove that New England fans are ungrateful, selfish, spoiled and ignorant. No class.

When the camera rolls over to Peyton on the sidelines in the 4th quarter, a guy who is trying to keep the broken pieces of his team and his career together, watching the Colts get dismantled, I could almost hear him thinking "they're booing? 31-10 in the 4th. We could only be so lucky".

The Pat's decade-plus of success has turned Patriots Nation into a bunch of entitled assho!es, who think they know how to run a football team. They don't deserve a franchise stacked with hard working, professional players who have their heads screwed on right and kill themselves to win each week. I blame the damn Boston media, who are a bunch of mutton heads, know almost nothing about the game, but love to hear themselves criticize almost everything Belichick does.

If you think this team deserves to hear it from the crowd, what you really need is an 0-16 season to remind you what bad football looks like. Granted, this is not the 2007 team, or the 2003 team in terms of completeness. But the 2011 team is competitive, clinched the playoffs (again!), scrappy and committed.

And that with devastating injuries...Koppen, Light, Mankins, Vollmer all out against Miami, 4 of 5 starters on the line!!!... and you're booing the rookies and practice squad guys drafted into service, playing out of position? Fans should have some PERSPECTIVE. Any other franchise would have folded long ago.

I've got buddies who are die hard Seahawks fans, some Browns fans, too. My brother married into the Bills fan base. They watch their teams screw up and lose almost every other week. They are committed to their teams for better or worse. They are thrilled just to get into the playoffs. A win is a big deal, not a foregone conclusion. They've got more cause to boo.

Fans are supposed to be supporters, not self-righteous bastards. Stop booing. You're a humiliation to the rest of us.

More pinkhat nonsense. :rolleyes:

Fans pay BIG MONEY to sit in those seats and when it's crystal clear the team they've come to watch has absolutely no interest in playing that day then those fans have every right in the world to express their displeasure. Uh rook, the fans displeasure apparently didn't come close to BB's obscenity laced halftime tirade directed at those poor little Patriot players.
Folks like you are the reason the Patriots have one of the quietest crowds in the NFL.
Please stay home and take your pinkhat friends with you.

They don't like it but it doesn't have the effect fans assume. It just pisses them off at the fans for being childish, fickle and stupid. Of course, they can't say that in press conferences, etc., because as others have so righteously noted here, booing is a "right" that buying tickets gives you.

So, let me get this straight....its okay for me as a fan to pay a ton of money to support the team, to go to the games and to cheer when they play well....but when they dont play well...my option is to do what...cheer more?

"Yeah, we are losing by three scores and can't make a first down! Way to go guys!"

Remind me again who is being fickle and stupid?

Is this one of the threads people just comment on so they can increase their post count?

:)

So, let me get this straight....its okay for me as a fan to pay a ton of money to support the team, to go to the games and to cheer when they play well....but when they dont play well...my option is to do what...cheer more?

"Yeah, we are losing by three scores and can't make a first down! Way to go guys!"

Remind me again who is being fickle and stupid?

YOU are being fickle and stupid. One option you failed to mention is doing nothing. A silent stadium gets the message across better than booing.

Sometimes they do. They have a "Shhh, Offense @ Work" message that lights up sometimes. It's not used consistently, though.

I've seen this in other NFL stadiums, too.

YOU are being fickle and stupid. One option you failed to mention is doing nothing. A silent stadium gets the message across better than booing.

You obviously didn't read my first post in this thread. One thing I am not, as a Boston sports fan, is fickle. I was rooting for the Pats back in the days when OJ used to run for 250 yards a game against them. I will root for them after Brady and BB retire.

As for stupidity...why would a "silent" stadium be better then a stadium that is booing? If both silence and booing convey displeasure, why, O Wise One, is one better then another?

And, by the way, speaking of stupidity, when was the last time you heard a stadium of 60,000 sports fans be silent? Because I've been going to sporting events for 40 years and have yet to witness that phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back