PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bolts fire Schottenheimer?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think 10 players recently in Hawaii found out what it was like to be coached by a real coach? Thanks Bill for making SD stronger.:p Also wouldn't it be just like Parcells to glom onto a supremely talented team like the Chargers.

Saw this coming a mile a way. I don't know who they're going to get to replace him but San Diego can't let that talent waste away to a coach that can not get it done in the postseason. The great thing for a coach coming into that situation is that the roster and talent level is already ready made to win and to compete for the postseason. Now let's see who they hire. And that's going to be as big news, bigger actually than that they fired Marty.

Since you saw it a mile away.... then who are you thinking they will hire?

This is very interesting. Tuna anyone?

Don't think so. Who said this?

"They want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries."

Clearly the GM in SD is a control freak. Parcells just left a situation where he wasn't the dictator, so I doubt he'd want to go through the same thing at an even more dysfunctional organization.

I would think they'd try to talk Petey Carrol into it.
Sean Salisbury called into ESPN News and repeated himself about 5 times, mostly as others have mentioned, about Marty not having enough freedom re assistants. Salisbury did mention Carroll, but then said he was just throwing his name out and it could be anybody now. Salisbury said he thought Marty would land on his feet again as a HC. I doubt it but WTFDIK?

Since you saw it a mile away.... then who are you thinking they will hire?

I said saw him getting FIRED a mile away. That has little to do with the replacement. I was on record after the Chargers lost to the Pats as saying that Marty should and would be fired. Go ahead and check my post history.

Hiring a new coach has as much to do with the ownership situation as anything else. Not being native to that region I can't really say I have a good read on who they'd like to hire. I'm sure they want to get a proven coach that has a track record in the postseason though. Could Cowher be talked out of retirement? Who knows.

Last edited:
Don't think so. Who said this?

"They want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries."

Clearly the GM in SD is a control freak. Parcells just left a situation where he wasn't the dictator, so I doubt he'd want to go through the same thing at an even more dysfunctional organization.

I don't think he would be such a freak if he had a coach who he trusted. I think it would be a year or two thing, they try to win a couple SB. Especially with the 3-4 already in place.

This is quite interesting timing. Guess there are still some good options available though; at least hypothetically.

Mike Singletary should be on top of that list too. Good defensive minded guy can really help that team out.

I would think they'd try to talk Petey Carrol into it.

PETE CARROL!!!!!
The right man for the right job!
Single-handedly dismantling Super Bowl calibur teams and getting high profile universities into legal trouble for over a decade.

Damn they're fast.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/

Chargers | Team releases statement over Schottenheimer's dismissal
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:28:22 -0800

San Diego Chargers president Dean Spanos has released a statement regarding head coach Marty Schottenheimer's dismissal. Spanos said, " Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers." Spanos said the team is responsible for paying the final year of Schottenheimer's contract. He added, "Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007."

EDIT: So basically Spanos fired Marty because his assistants got HC jobs elsewhere. That would be like Kraft firing BB after SB XXXIX.

Last edited:
Ron Rivera also. In addition to the HC, they need to find a new staff unless the new guy keeps the old one. What a mess this late . . . they're better not go after Josh :D

It will be interesting to see who the Chargers get. I think Steve Mariucci would be a good coach to look at even Norv Turner but I agree with some of the earlier threads that the GM needs to go if the organization wants to get a good quality coach to go with the talent that the Chargers have.

I don't get it. The new offensive coordinator has been hired and some new asst's are in place. So a new coach has to inherit them or does he get to choose his own staff?

even more bizarre than jason garrett and wade phillips

Someone needs to crank up the Bill Cowher rumor machine again.

There's got to be other stuff going on behind the scenes, the Chargers aren't this inept.
Yeah, they are. If they were going to fire him, they should have done it right away, so they could keep Cameron or Phillips as HC and have some continuity.

They are a bunch of clowns, from the owner to the crybaby RB and QB.

The return of Jimmy Johnson!

Just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back