PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bold FA Prediction - Patriots Sign Teddy Bridgewater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I like the idea but I don’t know why any player would choose a back up position instead of going to a place where they could start. The Jags are stuck with Bortles for one more season but they should offer Bridgewater a deal where he would be given the chance to compete for the starting job.

Unproven (but will cost more than a rookie), not just no experience in our system but very little experience anywhere, and injury prone. Only advantage would be freeing up a potential draft pick for another position, but all the risks are still there. I'd pass.

I was a big proponent of the Patriots drafting him when he came out of Louisville. But he's had a disastrous injury since then and would come more expensive than a rookie. I think the Pats are targeting a rookie in the draft and developing him as Brady's successor. I can see Bridgewater either going to Denver (if they miss out on Cousins) or Jacksonville.

Has his grievance been settled? All that jazz about his contract tolling etc...

I think this is a good idea. If you do not think much of Falk or Kauleta, this is a good idea.

BUT, I might look into Kaepernick first.
I’m not a fan of Falk at all. Makes too many throws off his back foot and turtles under pressure. I’d rather have Mayfield (he’ll be gone), Lauletta, or Woodside.

Jackson white or Lauletta for me.
I like Falk emulating Brady but he would never be Brady so it woudlnt feel right to me.
I like the idea of Jackson he's a weapon that Josh could deploy in dozens of ways.

I was not a fan of Bridgewater even before his injury. Undersized, tries to X ray his passes too much, and then theres that freaking injury.

I'd rather give another chance to Ryan Mallet instead.

Deep QB draft.

Greg McElroy should be available...

Deep QB draft.

When was the last time BB paid for a veteran QB back up? Flutie in 2005? And, that was back in the day before the market spiked off the Flacco disaster deal.

Part of the beauty of a draft pick like Jimmy G, outside of it lighting a fire under Brady, one I have not seen since 2004, or maybe mid 2010, is the idea that the back up QB who will likely never even play, is is super cheap. IN this case, the rookie cap from 2011 allows 3-4 mil in cap savings simply by following this approach.

Most solid back up QBs cost about 5 mil per. Hoyer is so cheap that it will suck to carry a 3rd QB this year, but they did this when Mallett was here too, with Edelman still the invaluable "emergency" QB, a spot we never will have to use anyway.

So, this year, we won't have the extra roster spot that we're so used to having, but we'll have it in 2019, assuming they do get their QB prospect this year.

I could see it, just have to find a team that’ll take Brady’s guaranteed money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back