PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS BoB officially back

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I have already posted how rational fans feel about BOB, so I won’t do it again.
Our backup QB won the game he played in against A&M.
The first coordinator to hit the road this year was our DC. Our defense had declined the last 4 years he has been in charge. Alabama fans are smart enough to know to know that when we score 30-40 points, we win. Before Golding was our DC, when we scored 21 points, we won!
BOB averaged 40 points per game while at Bama, but we lost 4 games. That’s on defense and us educated fans know where blame mostly lies.
The problem for BOB, he came in after Sark and Kiffin who were college OC geniuses, and we had a lot of injuries during his tenure.
We all wish him nothing but success, don’t listen to the t-shirt fans!
I don’t think Kiffin or Sark are geniuses, they just had more talent. They have looked very ordinary everywhere else they have been with ordinary talent.
Kiffin had Cooper, TJ Yeldon, K Drake and Derrick Henry when he started in 2014. Then they added Calvin Ridley. The 2017 Bama team had Jacobs, Damien Harris, Najee and Robinson at rb. They had 4 first round wr’s: Ridley, Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith on one roster.

They got J Williams as a transfer in 2021. They just are recruiting top end wr’s anymore- but in “the genius” era of Sark and Kiffin, they had outrageous talent. But I will end my rant there to not derail the conversation.

But they didn't. He lost 3 yards. You see, in the real world sh*t happens and the Pats score <43% inside the RZ. In fantasy land, the Pats score 100% of the time in the RZ.
The correct call would've been that he was stopped at forward progress at the 4 or 5. By the time he was pushed back to the 8, the ball was out. It should have been 2nd down from the 4 or 5 yard line - nothing fantasy about expecting the correct call there. We'll never know if they'd have scored a TD from there in 3 more tries, but they were playing dominantly at that point and there was a good chance they would have.

Another even clearer example of losing a game to the officials was the Raiders game when they overturned the call in the ez that the receiver was out of bounds, which he clearly was, on a 4th down I believe. That tied the game which led to the lateral disaster. That loss was 100% due to that call, costing us a 9-8 record and a playoff spot.

The Cinci call was more like a 75% chance it cost us the game, and while we're at it, the multiple ridiculous calls & non-calls in the Vikings game cost us that one to about a 75% certainty. Let's offset one of those with the break we got on the Jets punt return missed clipping call. All told, we definitely should have been 9-8 due to the LV game, and probably 10-7 if the calls in those other 3 games were made correctly.

That happens to me in golf. Sometimes I think I see my ball stay in play when it didn't.
Unfortunately many times don't see my ball, the benefits of a 4 some... we watch each others golf balls.

With the expanded playoffs, it's not a bug. It's a feature.
The ridiculous 4-team "division" setup is the main culprit but the extra team is right behind. Wait until half the teams in the league make it. That should happen relatively soon.

But they didn't. He lost 3 yards. You see, in the real world sh*t happens and the Pats score <43% inside the RZ. In fantasy land, the Pats score 100% of the time in the RZ.
My reply was in answer to an IF... IF he hadn't fumbled. Absurd response to a hypothetical

It's not. I didn't like it then, either.
I can't stand the 4-team divisions. Never have from the start. Calling a team champion of anything with a better record than only 3 of the other 15 teams is comical really.

Another troubling thing to me is the completely different schedules in a league that seeds teams by record. That one affects which fans of which teams are awarded home games. This year in the AFC was a pretty good example of how unfair that can be.

The NFC was also a great example with an east division that played 4 games against the worst division in football, the afcs. You can't tell me that the weaker schedule didn't help the Giants and Cowboys make it this year.

NHL-levels of playoff stupidity are coming to the NYFL. They see nothing but dollar signs, don't care if they throw the baby out with the bath water. Next up, conference championships will go to the highest bidding city. They are already preparing the ground for this, just like every other money grubbing move they've made over the Goodell era. They won't care if this weakens the fan's experience or the team's home field advantage, they only care about the fractions of a percent it'll add to the bottom line.

How could you let your most productive (by far) receiver, someone with proven chemistry with Mac, walk. Keeping Meyers and getting a speedy receiver are not exclusive.
1. He's gonna get over market value money.
2. You've got too many of the same guy. Bourne could take that role. Thornton is the only burner. Everyone's else speed is average

I can't stand the 4-team divisions. Never have from the start. Calling a team champion of anything with a better record than only 3 of the other 15 teams is comical really.

Another troubling thing to me is the completely different schedules in a league that seeds teams by record. That one affects which fans of which teams are awarded home games. This year in the AFC was a pretty good example of how unfair that can be.

The NFC was also a great example with an east division that played 4 games against the worst division in football, the afcs. You can't tell me that the weaker schedule didn't help the Giants and Cowboys make it this year.
I don't hate the 4 team division nearly as much, but you are correct. The owners will continue to de-value their product by diluting it with more teams, more games, and more playoffs.

The correct call would've been that he was stopped at forward progress at the 4 or 5. By the time he was pushed back to the 8, the ball was out. It should have been 2nd down from the 4 or 5 yard line - nothing fantasy about expecting the correct call there. We'll never know if they'd have scored a TD from there in 3 more tries, but they were playing dominantly at that point and there was a good chance they would have.

Another even clearer example of losing a game to the officials was the Raiders game when they overturned the call in the ez that the receiver was out of bounds, which he clearly was, on a 4th down I believe. That tied the game which led to the lateral disaster. That loss was 100% due to that call, costing us a 9-8 record and a playoff spot.

The Cinci call was more like a 75% chance it cost us the game, and while we're at it, the multiple ridiculous calls & non-calls in the Vikings game cost us that one to about a 75% certainty. Let's offset one of those with the break we got on the Jets punt return missed clipping call. All told, we definitely should have been 9-8 due to the LV game, and probably 10-7 if the calls in those other 3 games were made correctly.
Yea, that makes everything that went on this season much better. Thank you for that.

How could you let your most productive (by far) receiver, someone with proven chemistry with Mac, walk. Keeping Meyers and getting a speedy receiver are not exclusive.
What would you be willing to give Meyers to stay? BTW, I like Meyers and would like him to stay.

My reply was in answer to an IF... IF he hadn't fumbled. Absurd response to a hypothetical
Agree, the hypothetical was absurd.

I don’t think Kiffin or Sark are geniuses, they just had more talent. They have looked very ordinary everywhere else they have been with ordinary talent.
Kiffin had Cooper, TJ Yeldon, K Drake and Derrick Henry when he started in 2014. Then they added Calvin Ridley. The 2017 Bama team had Jacobs, Damien Harris, Najee and Robinson at rb. They had 4 first round wr’s: Ridley, Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith on one roster.

They got J Williams as a transfer in 2021. They just are recruiting top end wr’s anymore- but in “the genius” era of Sark and Kiffin, they had outrageous talent. But I will end my rant there to not derail the conversation.
Really?
Have you ever heard of Blake Sims? He road the bench until Kiffin came in and he won us SEC Championship.
How about Jake Coker? Sat on the bench at FSU for 3 years, came to Alabama and we won a SEC Championship and the National Championship.
Yes, we recruited great WRs, but without great QBs and schemes to fit their style, you got nothing!

Hopkins has gone on record saying that he forced that trade. The rest of the NFL knew it, so the Texans got lowballed. On top of that, what has Hopkins done for the Cardinals since that trade? In 2020, he was still playing great but the Cardinals ended at 8-8 and out of the playoffs. BTW - that one season cost the Cardinals $29 Million. Since that first year, Hopkins has fallen off dramatically, both in games played and overall receiving stats. And these declining stats came at a cost of around $14 Million (ave) per year. That trade was a steal on paper but in reality, the Cardinals got a very expensive WR ($57 Million over 3 years) that didn't really elevate their team (8-8, 11-6 & 4-13).
Are we critiquing Hopkins play in Arizona? He was an all pro in 2020 with a 115 catch, 1407 yard, and 6 TD season. He had 9 starts this season (1 with Murray and 8 with McCoy, McSorley & Blough) and he had a pace equal to his career averages. He's a bonafide elite WR1.

RB David Johnson gave Houston 691 rushing yards with 6 rushing TDs in 2020. Since, in two combined seasons, he's given them 252 rushing yards and rushing 0 TDs.

So however the trade came about, it was a really bad outcome for Houston and O'Brien (who got fired after an 0-4 start to the 2020 season).

Are we critiquing Hopkins play in Arizona? He was an all pro in 2020 with a 115 catch, 1407 yard, and 6 TD season. He had 9 starts this season (1 with Murray and 8 with McCoy, McSorley & Blough) and he had a pace equal to his career averages. He's a bonafide elite WR1.

RB David Johnson gave Houston 691 rushing yards with 6 rushing TDs in 2020. Since, in two combined seasons, he's given them 252 rushing yards and rushing 0 TDs.

So however the trade came about, it was a really bad outcome for Houston and O'Brien (who got fired after an 0-4 start to the 2020 season).

I am critiquing his play in AZ. As they say, you can't make the team from the tub:
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSTgtRecYdsY/RTD1DLngR/GY/GCtch%Y/TgtAwards
2020*
28​
ARIWR
10​
16​
16​
160​
115​
1407​
12.2​
6​
75​
60​
7.2​
87.9​
71.90%​
8.8​
AP2, PB
29​
ARIWR
10​
10​
10​
64​
42​
572​
13.6​
8​
32​
55​
4.2​
57.2​
65.60%​
8.9​
30​
ARIWR
10​
9​
9​
96​
64​
717​
11.2​
3​
35​
33​
7.1​
79.7​
66.70%​
7.5​

BTW - that one good year, 2020, the Cardinals were 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

If Belichick and the Pats had done this with these results, you'd rightfully be unhappy with this signing.

Wonder what snake-oil salesman Jack Easterby thinks of the move. I bet BOB is not a fan of his...which makes me like BOB more.
Interesting, Gronk lives in New England? He used the word "here" when describing the changes being made to the Patriots. There's a red barn in the bank, evergreen trees. I know he only had an apartment in Tampa based on an article I read about visiting his Mom who lives in the Naples area.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back