PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blockbuster NE news NFL trade

Why would Scheffler already be in Detroit?

Economics Teacher:
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Simone:
Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Economics Teacher:
Thank you, Simone

Simone:
No problem whatsoever.

So, my cousin is a huge Pats fan and he decided to attend this draft. He is on the ground in Detroit now.

Last night he was hanging around the hotel bar and who walks in and sets down next to him? Schefter, thats who. They get talking, but its respectful like and not like my cousin is drooling all over Schefter telling him how great he is. So, the conversation steers towards the Pats. My cousin is decked out NE regalia Bruins hat and of course Pats # 9 Judon jersey.

Schefter tells my cousin that the Pats have been open for business talking to virtually all teams about moving the 3rd pick. Word around the league is that Bob Kraft has been kicking *** and taking names later and Kraft wants to hit the ground running reaching the playoffs this season to further embarrass Bill Belichick.

Schefter told my cousin that there is a trade offer on the table right now that would send Herbert to NE so the LA Chargers could take JJ McCarthy.

Yesterday was 4/20. Must have been smoking some really good ganja.

LA can get JJM with #5

Makes sense from Harbaugh wanting to start his own thing, Herbert has shown only some flashes, lost that terrible comeback game from Jaguars in the playoffs 2 years ago and his contract is terrible for a QB that is not a guaranteed playoff contender.

I just hope they make a trade with other team not the Patriots.

Herbert looks like he has the Matt Stafford disease. Stafford looked overrated in Detroit, but wins a Super Bowl with a better organization, coach and players. Herbert has had some talent in LA, but that talent is overrated. The OL is trash, no WR's or RB's and defense is mediocre.

Can the draft please come already.
That way we can put to bed all this nonsense and conjecture.
So my cousin was talking to Kim Bassinger at a juice bar the other day and Kim says she read on TicTok how Zack Wilson's mom is dating a guy who used to live in Boston, and that guy met some Irish guy in the Dorchester Dunkin' Donuts who is sure that Robert is gonna beat up Mayo unless the Pats trade Judon for Dak Prescott and a horsie so Johnathan can play polo with Meghan Markel.

LOL Someone starting a rumour with that avatar.

Herbert looks like he has the Matt Stafford disease. Stafford looked overrated in Detroit, but wins a Super Bowl with a better organization, coach and players. Herbert has had some talent in LA, but that talent is overrated. The OL is trash, no WR's or RB's and defense is mediocre.
So basically, not much better than here.

While all the reasons given are rational AND correct. T's hypothetical is MY ideal scenario (and you know T and I rarely agree on anything ;) )

In my fantasy world, the Pat's would challenge Harbaugh's comment about JJ being the best QB in the draft publicly, daring him to back it up with action and make the trade.

That would get the Pat's a talented QB without having to go through the usual growing pains plus having the ability to draft a top WR or LT prospect.

Of course however reality returns for all the reasons stated above including the most obvious one. Why give up such a valuable resource when it's 90% likely he'll be there at #5 and you can trade Herbert to the Vikings and ADD assets?

Reality sucks ;)

So, my cousin is a huge Pats fan and he decided to attend this draft. He is on the ground in Detroit now.

Last night he was hanging around the hotel bar and who walks in and sets down next to him? Schefter, thats who. They get talking, but its respectful like and not like my cousin is drooling all over Schefter telling him how great he is. So, the conversation steers towards the Pats. My cousin is decked out NE regalia Bruins hat and of course Pats # 9 Judon jersey.

Schefter tells my cousin that the Pats have been open for business talking to virtually all teams about moving the 3rd pick. Word around the league is that Bob Kraft has been kicking *** and taking names later and Kraft wants to hit the ground running reaching the playoffs this season to further embarrass Bill Belichick.

Schefter told my cousin that there is a trade offer on the table right now that would send Herbert to NE so the LA Chargers could take JJ McCarthy.
Did you also know that my cousin's hairdresser's aunt's best friend who overheard Robert Kraft talking to Wolf assured me that the Patriots would trade #3 to the Vikings for Jefferson and two 1st round picks. Now who would you rather believe?

Its always somebody's cousin

Adam Shefter js almost certainly not in Detroit yet.
Secondly he is not walking into a bar and sitting down next to some guy

Lastly why would Shefter not report this himself instead of giving the story to some random guy

Complete bs

First of all - Herbert has a no-trade clause, so he'd need to give the OK on this for it to happen. I don't know why he would, as his deal has heavy guarantees and the Chargers can't afford to cut him, so he is at no risk of losing the contract otherwise.

Second - trading Herbert raises his cap hit for LA in 2024 from $19M to $63M - about a $44M increase. They don't even have enough cap room to make that move. So again, they'd likely need Herbert to restructure his contract just to be able to move him in addition to waiving his no-trade clause.

Third - why would they want to? They already have a good QB locked down and they're not facing serious cap problems. I suppose Harbaugh could shed this big contract with 1 year of cap pain, draft a rookie he believes in and essentially "reboot" and try to chase a ring during his rookie QB's 5 year window, but I have a hard time believing it.

If this is somehow true (which I really, sincerely doubt) I'd be interested, but it depends on the terms. Presumably Herbert would become fairly affordable for NE for several years since LAC would be responsible for accelerated bonuses which would let them field a competitive team quickly and also long term. He's also still only 26. But not sure what the trade comp would look like - Pick 3 for Herbert + pick 5? That might be too generous. Maybe Pick 3 + Pick 68 + 2025 2nd rounder for Herbert + Pick 5?
Sounds incredibly unlikely because of the financial aspects of the trade. This is a reality hurdle that many rumor mongers fail to account for - basic math. Nice dream but the salary cap pretty much prohibits it.

LA can get JJM with #5
or not

Either NE or AZ could trade down, or both. The first 4 picks could easily be 4 QB's.

The notion that Harbaugh wants to trade one of the best QB’s in the league for a dice roll on some kid is absurd.

I think your avatar tells us all we need to know about this report.

Its always somebody's cousin
I do not know DW Toys and can assure you that my cousin is real.
Adam Shefter js almost certainly not in Detroit yet.
The NFL draft is only eclipsed by the Super Bowl.

Its huge and the place to be all week.
Secondly he is not walking into a bar and sitting down next to some guy
I met Schefter at a Pats SB.
Lastly why would Shefter not report this himself instead of giving the story to some random guy

Complete bs
Because this deal is on going and not settled yet.

Which is why its time for Herbert to move on and allow Harbaugh to start with a clean palette.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back