PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bledsoe on why they matched up Reggie White 1 on 1 in the SB

If we won that Superbowl...there is a good chance that Brady & Belichick end up somewhere else.... (shrugs)
You think Tuna would've changed his mind and stayed? Why would BB end up somewhere else?

Reggie White threw a lot of RTs outta the bar, no doubt... But after that first sack, Lane should've been given some help for the Very Next Dam Play... Inexcusable that it didn't happen.

The Patriots had a chance to win that game. Recalling Favre's grandstanding makes me wanna puke.

I think Tuna was talking with the Jete before that Super Bowl was even played.
IIRC he had his house up for sale mid-season … things turned out just fine in spite of the way that one turned out

Fat slob bigmouth threw a hissy fit over the "groceries". He sold us, the loyal die hard Patriots fans, down the river...and stole Martin to boot. He KNEW that the Jet move would rankle every single loyal Patriots fan alive, just as he knew his previous tenure with the Giants would give him absolute immunity in the NY press from his, what I consider, wholesale backstabbing of our fanbase. I think BB always thought Little Bill stabbed Kraft in the back.

What is the ultimate FU to the Tuna Turd???

0ea6530cfb990b910d615c200c8d67f6_crop_north.jpg

Martin had success on the ground in the 3rd quarter. Should have kept running him.

The Patriots had a chance to win that game. Recalling Favre's grandstanding makes me wanna puke.
Favre also crapped the bed in both games that the Patriots needed to win the East and make the playoffs in 2002 and 2008. 53 rating over both games. Thanks BrINT.

The only sane reason not to double Reggie White in that game is that you either had …

A.) Money on the Packers to win

Or

B.) An agreement to leave the Pats and become the HC of the NYJ!!

Parcels is on my list of people I will never forgive, he sold out the Pats and should remain an outcast!

Yeah I don't understand where all this They were obviously over-matched and They never had a chance of winning anyway stuff comes from... Remove those Desmond Howard runs and this game was a back-and-forth affair throughout...

You think Tuna would've changed his mind and stayed? Why would BB end up somewhere else?

BB bolted with Tuna...at the time Kraft didn't feel the timing was correct (as noted by Jedd Benedict in his book). So, had we won that SB...maybe Groh takes the job something...or Kraft hires someone else who has a different track of success than Carroll....maybe we win another SB and BB keeps the Jets job...or if Hess didn't die..or BB takes the Chiefs job...so many possibilities...

I think Tuna was talking with the Jete before that Super Bowl was even played.

He was, IIRC...but just saying that winning a SB would have set us on a different trajectory than where we were at 2000.....coming off an 8-8 season where we fired the last coach and drafted a skinny 6th rounder... maybe Bobby Grier still has his job and Al Groh is the coach....

Remember we all wanted the Dom Capers/Terry Donahue combo over giving a first rounder for BB....

Just saying we would have been on a different trajectory....not that Tuna would have stayed...

BB bolted with Tuna...at the time Kraft didn't feel the timing was correct (as noted by Jedd Benedict in his book). So, had we won that SB...maybe Groh takes the job something...or Kraft hires someone else who has a different track of success than Carroll....maybe we win another SB and BB keeps the Jets job...or if Hess didn't die..or BB takes the Chiefs job...so many possibilities...
I don’t think winning the Super Bowl would’ve changed the trajectory as the following years were met with injuries to major players. Had Martin been healthy, they easily beat Pittsburgh in the regular season and lock up the #2 seed in 1997. A healthy team gets to the AFCCG.

But what derailed this team was letting talent walk and not replacing it. They had a chance to lock up Curtis Martin before FA, but low balled him offering $2M per year as a restricted FA because they were afraid he was injury prone. That’s when the Jets swooped in with and gave the Pats the “poison pill”. The rationale I’ve heard through the years was that they wouldn’t have been able to sign McGinest, Law and Milloy had they signed Martin.

Losing Sam Gash was another idiotic move that would’ve helped Robert Edwards in his rookie year.

Letting Jimmy Hitchcock walk was another goof.

Megget was another big loss as their back up RB’s were atrocious.

Carroll’s nail in the coffin was getting rid of Willie Clay in favor of Chris Carter, the worst FS that would give Jordan Richards a run for his money. The secondary was awful in 1999.

They also couldn’t draft or under utilized their draft picks (Greg Spires). This is what detailed the late 90’s Pats. Teams quickly caught up to them as they were eroding.

Last edited:
I don’t think winning the Super Bowl would’ve changed the trajectory as the following years were met with injuries to major players. Had Martin been healthy, they easily beat Pittsburgh in the regular season and lock up the #2 seed in 1997. A healthy team gets to the AFCCG.

But what derailed this team was letting talent walk and not replacing it. They had a chance to lock up Curtis Martin before FA, but low balled him offering $2M per year as a restricted FA because they were afraid he was injury prone. That’s when the Jets swooped in with and gave the Pats the “poison pill”. The rationale I’ve heard through the years was that they wouldn’t have been able to sign McGinest, Law and Milloy had they signed Martin.

Losing Sam Gash was another idiotic move that would’ve helped Robert Edwards in his rookie year.

Letting Jimmy Hitchcock walk was another goof.

Megget was another big loss as their back up RB’s were atrocious.

Carroll’s nail in the coffin was getting rid of Willie Clay in favor of Chris Carter, the worst FS that would give Jordan Richards a run for his money. The secondary was awful in 1999.

They also couldn’t draft or under utilized their draft picks (Greg Spires). This is what detailed the late 90’s Pats. Teams quickly caught up to them as they were eroding.
Yeah, so many things....I am just happy we had BB and Brady for 20 seasons and six Lombardis!!!

I believe the 96 Packers were the #1 offense and defense that season. They were a dominant team in an era where the nfc was totally dominant over the afc. Favre was in the midst of 3 straight mvps. That was definitely one of those super bowls where it was OK to be happy we made it there and hung tough for a while. I don't lose any sleep over that one, and 96 was a really fun season.

“The rationale was Reggie didn’t like to play on turf”

Lol wut? I’d love to know who the “we” was that came up with that theory. Tuna?

While I know the Packers played on grass, IIRC, he spent most of his career in Philly back when Philly had turf. Didn't seem to slow him down much there.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back