PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blame the Kraft Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
shmessy said:
Is your postername "Iron Helmet" because of what the staff makes you wear so as not to hurt yourself in the classroom?

BTW, those 5 combos you envy? A combined 1 (ONE) SB Championship amongst them. The one combo that does have a ring is now 3-6 this year.

Any questions?

Do they call you "shmessy" because you talk with a lisp and carry a drool cup?

I was trying to make a point that good QB/WR combos are invaluable, like Brady and Branch. Watch the SB again when Branch was MVP. Then come talk to me.

The chuckles started when I read the thread title.

Okay, reality check:

You can blame the Krafts, blame Belichick, blame Pioli, blame Brady, blame etc., for the unspeakable horror of two straight losses, and a 6-3 record.

And I for one think there actually is trouble in paradise, and the record could end up 10-6, by the way.

But for Christ's sake, get a clue. Let's work out the simple logic:

Kraft [Belichik, Pioli, Brady] has caused bad play to happen.
Kraft [etc.] has been behind this team since last decade.
Kraft [etc.] has been in charge of similar decisions for that length of time.

Therefore, we can conclude the Patriots' standard of play has been poor for the length of this decade.

However, the Patriots have excelled beyond the dreams of most NFL fans during that span of time, winning 3 out of 4 super bowls, still in recent memory.

Who do you believe was in charge of the team then? Mangini? Crennel?

If that is the case, I disagree. Belichik, Pioli, and the Krafts were behind that run, and Brady was the field general of that run.

Is your argument that Kraft [insert others here] have suddenly come down with a case of bad judgment so severe that the lamest amateur analysis is superior to their calls?

Or is it just possible that a 90% success rate is still a 10% failure rate?

I'd like to say I have the answers people are so desperately foundering around for. I don't. I think there's a combination of a Brady slump, a Seymour slump on the other side of the ball, and a new wide receiver corps, all combining to create something short of a 9-0 team. But I'll also say they're playing okay football. Not great, but okay. Where in the past the "magic" would kick in, now protection breaks down, the QB throws to the wrong colored jersey, or the opponent's lead is greater than our (admittedly diminished) capacity to overcome. Everything's not perfect.

But this team's not headed for skid row, and the guys that took us to the heights are still the guys we need to back.

I'm seeing senseless panic on the boards lately, and it's irritating. Call me when the Pats are under .500 -- until then realize that a great organization can make a call that causes a challenge for a season, but is not catastrophic; that a great coach can make a call that looks great if the execution is right, but looks idiotic if the execution falters; that great players have bad days, and even slumps; and that great offenses sometimes need time to all get on the same page.

I'm spoiled too. I don't like the downturn. But football's not some kind of game of Madden set on the "easy" setting. There's a bunch of really fast, strong guys on the other side, and a really smart other guy tells them what to do, and they are trying to do it to us. That's why it's called competition.

One more thing... I hope when the Pats make it to their next Super Bowl the doomsayers realize how ridiculous it is to whine and complain when everything's not perfect. Branch wanted to be here, the Pats wanted him back, but at a price they thought he was worth. I was actually surprised a deal didn't get done. But it didn't.

However, we've got the pieces assembled for a downright scary team. So let's move on.

Keep the bloody faith, will yas?

PFnV

SWelker said:
Do you even watch the games? Especially today, if you think we lost the game today because of no Branch you are sadly mistaken, Brady threw so many bad passes this game you couldn't even count them all,....

Not having Branch or Givens absolutely factored into both the Indy and Jets losses. I believe the Krafts have deferred all football decision making to Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick. The only move I question to date is the head scratcher in not signing Adam Vinitieri.

groundgame said:
Not having Branch or Givens absolutely factored into both the Indy and Jets losses. I believe the Krafts have deferred all football decision making to Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick. The only move I question to date is the head scratcher in not signing Adam Vinitieri.

I'm actually more sanguine about the Adam no-sign than about Branch or WillieMac. Basically, they got a pretty special COLLEGE kicker, and moved on. Adam's production had been slipping, at exactly the point when his contract was up, and he pretty much wanted out; popular wisdom says he wanted to finish up in a dome, but who knows.

For the years he was here he defined Clutchiness, to Colbertize the word, and I think he'll kick a clutch game-winner or two for the hated Colts before all is said and done... but he was one Brady flub away from blowing the game for his new team just two weeks ago, and he was missing some big ones last year.

Okay, enough on that well-worn topic... back to the "blame" thread. Wouldn't want to hijack something so well considered and productive.

PFnV

Iron Helmet said:

I was trying to make a point that good QB/WR combos are invaluable, like Brady and Branch. Watch the SB again when Branch was MVP. Then come talk to me.

Do they call you iron helmet because your skull is so thick that logic and fairness cannot penetrate?

Sure, Branch is a very good receiver no denying that. However, top 15, uh no, at least he never has been yet.

Now, you say we should have paid him - we were all set to pay him, until he decided contracts do not apply to him. HE WAS UNDER CONTRACT, and refused to honor it. Patriots stepped up and offered him fair market value, but it was to kick in next year - just like everyone else on this team has done when they honor their contracts. Patriots were going to give him a bonus, just as they did Koppen, Seymour, Brady etc.

Tell me what you would say to the other teammates that honored their contracts? Tell me what you would say to the other dozen or so players that would line up and insist that their last years be torn up.

Yeah it Sux that he left - but, he abandoned This team, his buddy Brady and all of us fans that really liked and respected the guy.

Deion Branch is a scumbag. He exemplifies all that is wrong with the greedy athlete in the game today. I would not say that about any single other player that has left here. He did not have to go, he should not have gone and no way are the Patriots at fault.

Iron Helmet said:

The Patriots will never overpay for a player. Not in the best of winning seasons. Not in the worst of losing seasons. Branch (Chayut) wasn't willing to honor his contract, or accept fair market value. That's his problem -- Kraft is last on the list of blame.

Maybe I am missing something but our recievers are looking pretty damn good. As some of us have said that the recievers will only improve...it is true. Caldwell had his record 7 reception game for 80 yds and a TD in Minny and two weeks later he breaks his "record" with 9 receptions and 90 yds. Gaffney looked great. The Branch thing isnt even a valid reason for last weeks loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes