PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Sunday: moving on

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Most 53 projections of the last week already expected Vollmer & Lewis out. (Some did it to make space for some binkies so now they might get their wish - but not the way they'd like it). But still the expectations were they come back sooner than later.

Mason is a shock. With Kline reportedly injuring shoulder and Coopers leg RG is a big? That will make it harder for Cannon too.

With the only two critical positions suffering critical blows - how ironic - how much will this affect the next steps? Not much I guess since this is no news to BB. But still it has to be a serious concern. Without Lewis and banged up OL there was a lot of suffering in the second part of last season. How do they overcome it this year?

1. OL
Looking back I was surprised that after Kline's injury they kept him in and the didn't put Karras at RG knowing about Cooper and Mason. Instead they put him at 2nd string C - strange. Karras suddenly looks like the only healthy option there. So is Solder - Thuney - Andrews/Stork - Karras/Stork - Cannon really our starting OL for the first part of the season. I hope at least now they can rush Cooper in.

2. RB
If NE goes into the season with Blount as #1RB there will be a lot of suffering and not only in first 4 weeks. Then again if they know Lewis is to come back week 6-8, knowing BB its hard to believe they will go in a big trade for #1 RB (if available at all).

Of course suffering doesn't mean not winning. But it looks like the start of the season will not be as spectacular and relaxed as last year - at least on the offense ...

1. OL
Looking back I was surprised that after Kline's injury they kept him in and the didn't put Karras at RG knowing about Cooper and Mason. Instead they put him at 2nd string C - strange. Karras suddenly looks like the only healthy option there. So is Solder - Thuney - Andrews/Stork - Karras/Stork - Cannon really our starting OL for the first part of the season. I hope at least now they can rush Cooper in.

"Mongo no go. Mongo stay with Sheriff Scar. Sheriff Scar first man never whip Mongo. Mongo impressed. Have deep feelings for Sheriff Scar."

Things aren't being made easy for Jimmy G, are they?
  • The OL is questionable.
  • He won't have Lewis; his best RB will likely be Blount.
  • Gronk is having his usual quiet August, raising the possibility that he'll still be de-rusting in September.
  • Amendola will presumably be out.
That said, he'll have Edelman, Bennett, Possibly Rusty Gronk and various other receivers, so he won't be entirely weaponless ...

Things aren't being made easy for Jimmy G, are they?
  • The OL is questionable.
  • He won't have Lewis; his best RB will likely be Blount.
  • Gronk is having his usual quiet August, raising the possibility that he'll still be de-rusting in September.
  • Amendola will presumably be out.
That said, he'll have Edelman, Bennett, Possibly Rusty Gronk and various other receivers, so he won't be entirely weaponless ...

The chemistry with Derby and Hogan will be valuable.

The chemistry with Derby and Hogan will be valuable.

How much 3-TE are we likely to see? Maybe a series here or there, plus some short yardage or goal line plays, but that would seem to be about it.

How much 3-TE are we likely to see? Maybe a series here or there, plus some short yardage or goal line plays, but that would seem to be about it.

Possibly. But, with Gronk and Edelman working their way back and Amendola absent, I think there's a case for giving AJD more playing time.

I think the OL will be Solder-Thunet-Andrews-Karras-Stork.

Gronk
Bennett
Derby

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell

Blount
White
Gaffney (potential RB1 until Lewis is back?)
Develin

PUP
Lewis
Amendola

It's reasonable to expect a lot of 2-TE. First, that's where the talent is. Second, it could help address any OL issues.

What I could really use today is some comforting words from Dante ...

This is what remains from OL (and we're only half way through preseason):
LT: Nate Solder, LaAdrian Waddle
LG: Joe Thuney, Chris Barker
C: David Andrews, Bryan Stork
RG: Jonathan Cooper, Josh Kline, Ted Karras, Jon Halapio
RT: Marcus Cannon, Cameron Fleming, Keavon Milton

* underlined injured or not 100% healthy

Id like to know how the new Dante's 5 looks but we will not know until Friday I guess.
Id like to have a look at Solder - Thuney - Andrews/Stork - Karras - Cannon line up.
Id like to know whats with Cooper.

Lewis getting surgery is a drag, but two months from now is week 6. Sounds like PUP list to me. No one's talking IR.

Adding Brady week 5 and Lewis week 6 transforms the backfield. As with Vollmer, below, I'm glad his reps are going to White and Gaffney. I believe the Patriots bring someone in from elsewhere. Boyce got cut and

Vollmer is a major drag. Somehow, I'm glad they know now and that all of his pre-season reps are going to Fleming, Cannon and Waddle. Somewhere in there is a solution, I hope.

What's the real situation with Shaq Mason? Can he play with the hand if adequately protected?

If this is true it changes dynamics going forward w RB a bit. This means they probably were counting on Lewis week 1 until recently. And with him at least questionable to return in top playing form (& Brown, Foster still out) they might really be looking for a RB.

The good thing is that the dress rehearsal is against Panthers. The answers will come quick and straight.
I believe if BB sees its not working with OL and RB he'll go for reinforcements. To hell if necessary.

Not concerned ... Lewis is a great weapon but there's only 1 ball and there's many ways to skin the cat.

The prospect of Cannon or Fleming playing Tackle again is really unsettling. I wonder if either Kline, Thuney, or Even Stork will get some action at right tackle. All three of these guys have good position flexibility, and dear god, not another season of watching Cannon getting rolled over.

It's all about the O line? Without an effective O line.... can't run it, can't let WR routes develop, and JG's internal clock will be all messed up. Scar may be the biggest upgrade on the team but he still has to rely on Cannon...and Cannon is a turn style. And let's face it, Lewis' dynamic jitterbugging behind the LOS last year covered up what was without a doubt the most anemic OL that created no push and usually was shoved backwards. When it was Blount's turn to be the feature back, the Pats essentially abandoned the run for the rest of the season.
I can't pretend to be optimistic offensively. I see essentially the same personnel from the back half of last season with a junior QB at the helm. The new variable is the addition of Bennett....yet I haven't read much about Gronk/ Bennett twin TE sets which could unhinge pressing defenses that rightly believe they need only to defend a small box.
This is 2001 (post Bledsoe injury) all over again with the team relying on its defense corp to win games....nothing wrong with that. I'm all for scuttling the "bend" defense.
Unleash Collins!!

Given their history, anything you get from those guys is a bonus. The contingency plans are in place. Moving right along...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back