PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday thread: the NFL Coaching Carousel

Bill Walsh won 8 games his first 2 seasons.
Chuck Noll won 12 games his first 3 seasons.
Bill Parcells went 3-12-1 in year 1.
Tom Landry finished under 0.500 each of his first 5 seasons.
We all know the Bill Belichick story.

I know the game has changed over the last 30-50 years, with free agency and the salary cap dominating things and encourging quicker turnarounds. Still, this supports your contention. There are some guys that absolutely prove themselves incompetent and should be cut early (Urban Meyer, Rod Rust, Adam Gase, etc.). But in general the rest of these guys should be given longer leashes, to be really given a chance to implement their system and get their players, and see if it works out.

I agree. To their detriment most owners just go with the “ hot” candidates, and don’t take the time to find someone who can implement a comprehensive plan for the entire franchise for the long term. As much as I dislike the Steelers and Ravens both franchises understand the importance of having long term stability and an overall plan for their franchises, and they don’t have knee jerk responses to down seasons, so they stick with their GM’s and coaches, and they have long term success. The Kraft’s deserve credit for understanding the importance of a long term plan and a comprehensive approach to building a successful franchise, and the success they have had is a result of this. Franchises who just go with the “ hot” candidates, usually a coordinator coming off a good season, or a retread usually end up looking for their replacement a couple of years later, and this cycle repeats itself every few years. It isn’t easy but owners have to find the Bill Walsh, Belichick, or Ozzy Newsome, who can and will create and implant a plan to create an organization that ties together every aspect of team systems and needs so that they fit together. Scouting, drafting, cap management, free agency and pro personnel acquisitions, and the offensive and defensive systems being utilized all need to go hand in hand, and changing the approach to these systems every couple of years almost always leads to a lack of overall success. We have been really fortunate to have Belichick create a comprehensive plan and approach for the Patriots, and their success completely reflects this.

In each of those situations they are all equally fascinating in how they played out and a common thread to all of them.
Bill Walsh won 8 games his first 2 seasons.
Prior to hiring Walsh, DeBartolo had hired/fired 2 coaches and 2 GMs in 3 years. After the 2nd firing Eddie Jr received advice from his father which encouraged him to be more patient with the 3rd hire- which was Walsh. Rumor is if Walsh hadn't done well in Year 3 he'd be gone.
Chuck Noll won 12 games his first 3 seasons.
Art Rooney was in deep with Cleveland mob for big money in gambling debts and loans and fearful of Rozelle forcing him out as owner, he turned thing over to his son, Dan the most patient man on the planet who is the one who hired Noll. Art had burned through 3 coaches in 5 years. Art wanted to fire Chuck after Bradshaw's rookie year but Dan told him not yet. The rest is history.
Bill Parcells went 3-12-1 in year 1.
It's pretty well known George Young who after the 83 season wanted to hire Howard Schnellenberger from the U who declined the offer. Mara- who liked Parcells stepped in and told Young to call off the search and give Tuna another year.
Tom Landry finished under 0.500 each of his first 5 seasons.
Clint Murchinson Jr. was the most hands off owner ever. Tex Schramm was highly respected in the NFL and Murchison Jr needed that cred. Murch wasn't so sure of Landry but Schramm stuck with him and gave him a 10 year deal. Like Dan Rooney, Schramm was a very patient man.

There is a rumor that Murch wanted Schramm to fire Landry mid season in 1963 but held off after the Kennedy assassination as they felt it would been too much for the region that needed stability.
We all know the Bill Belichick story.

We sure do. I do think if 2001 was another 5-11 season, 2002 would have been make it or break it for BB.

Last edited:
Anthony Lynn leaving Detroit after GB game and Fangio sacked at Denver.....NFL.com

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Denver has a good team that needs a QB. Fangio was not doing a bad job, he was just saddled with sh.tty QB’s. They should have stuck with him and found a capable QB, instead they will start over once again, disrupting the franchise once again.

Last edited:
Carolina's owner is a <Cough> work in progress.
Running a football team is nothing like running a hedge fund. Plus, he’s not the type to listen to others, though he’s right pretty often.

Imagine being Nick Caserio waiting so long to be a GM, only to hire the guy nobody has ever heard of, not known for anything and looks like the create a Coach in Madden. Just when you thought Joe Judge was the worst HC hire since Jim Tomsula, Culley blows them both out of the water. He needs to ditch Culley ASAP and beg McDaniels to come to Houston which could bring Watson back (if he can actually play). If Culley wasn’t hired as a placeholder, then Caserio deserves whatever happens next (which probably won’t be good).

Raiders will hire a new Coach. The Italian dude was only the substitute teacher.

Carroll needs to go.

Zimmer needs to go.

Rhule isn’t going anywhere with 5 years remaining. Unbelievable he got a 7 year deal.

Campbell should be fired.

Fangio needs to go.

Nagy and Pace need to clean out their offices.

Mixed feelings on this feel he’s great and creating game plans but not calling plays at the right time.
I feel we could improve if we brought in a fresh mind on offense.
It's a bad time for Josh to leave.

Year 2 of Mac next year and this offense will put up close to 30 a game.

Mixed feelings on this feel he’s great and creating game plans but not calling plays at the right time.
I feel we could improve if we brought in a fresh mind on offense.

Losing MacDaniels would be a huge blow to Mac Jones development. And no matter how many times people suggest it they are not going to go to a new offensive system, which seriously limits their options at OC. If MacDaniels leaves I would rather see Belichick take over the offense than to go with someone else.

Losing MacDaniels would be a huge blow to Mac Jones development. And no matter how many times people suggest it they are not going to go to a new offensive system, which seriously limits their options at OC. If MacDaniels leaves I would rather see Belichick take over the offense than to go with someone else.
The only coach in-house who might be considered as new OC if Josh jumps is Bo Hardegree. He's been a QB coach in the E/P system for 7 years and being a fmr QB himself knows the job.

O God it could be like Adam Gase.
I’d rather grab Charlie Weis out or retirement.
I think it would hurt us worse to lose Elliot Wolf who helped put together a great draft Vs Mcdaniels.
I think it would be wrong for Houston to fire Culley they have been competitive.
No matter how much roster overhauling has been going on.
I will agree Josh going to Houston is the job that makes the most sense of Bill is coaching another 5 plus years.
If Mayo leaves as a HC or a DC if not given the title over Stephen, I think that is a bigger loss for our D and could possibly put Patricia back on the defensive staff which I don’t think anybody wants.
I think Mac is going to be great no matter who his OC is.
I feel anyone who has watched the Patriots over the last 10 years could script his plays.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back