PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday and the NFL Coaching Carousel

Cowher is a much better coach than Coughlin.

Coughlin is a much better coach than Cowher, and he's shown his ability with 2 NFL teams as well as at the college level.

49ers have asked to interview Gase, per Mike Klis.. (on a re-tweet from Ben Volin)

49ers have asked to interview Gase, per Mike Klis.. (on a re-tweet from Ben Volin)

Because the Seahawks are in their division and we all saw how his offense played against the Seahawks.

IMHO, the Bears are making a very big mistake. They mistook the presence of a crew of Offensive skill players for a complete team.

They lost because they have no linemen for either line and little skill position depth behind their stars.

Trestman is a proven winner and would have righted that ship given a couple of years of solid meat-and-potatoes drafting. Cutler may not be an intense "leader" but he is accomplished and a realist. He could see the genuine deficiencies on the Bears and merely tried to survive.

My prediction is that a team with everything but a QB, like the Bills or Texans,could sign Cutler and advance to the Playoffs, immediately, and to the SB within three years.
I really doubt that Cutler could take any team to the super bowl, But a team like the bills or Houston would love to have him

Giving Idzik only two years seems very Jests like, would they rather have had him spend all their cap room to win 8 games? Also is there a more overrated coach right now than Rex? Yeah his players all like him but he has a losing record as a coach, has no idea how offense works and somehow fans think that he can get them to a super bowl. I think it's just that he has that firey personality and fans like that

Oakland Raiders - Bruce Arians Dark horse here but he has the Pitt O flying and there are alot of good pieces in Oakland right now.

I think Bruce Arians would be a better fit in Arizona. Not sure why, call me crazy.

Giving Idzik only two years seems very Jests like, would they rather have had him spend all their cap room to win 8 games?

I've been saying this all along. Honestly, Idzik's approach reminds me a lot of Belichick's in 2000. I'm glad they got rid of him because he got them out of cap hell and had proved that he wasn't going to blow the cap on stupid signings. His drafts sucked but it's impossible to know if the personnel he was drafting would have performed better with a coach of his choosing had he been allowed.

Forcing a coach on a GM is idiotic and it's why the Jets will continue to be mediocre - because they have a dumb owner. It all starts with the owner as those of us old enough to remember the Kiam years know.

I've been saying this all along. Honestly, Idzik's approach reminds me a lot of Belichick's in 2000. I'm glad they got rid of him because he got them out of cap hell and had proved that he wasn't going to blow the cap on stupid signings. His drafts sucked but it's impossible to know if the personnel he was drafting would have performed better with a coach of his choosing had he been allowed.

Forcing a coach on a GM is idiotic and it's why the Jets will continue to be mediocre - because they have a dumb owner. It all starts with the owner as those of us old enough to remember the Kiam years know.

They weren't in cap hell to begin with.

And another one to the ignore list...

But a team like the bills or Houston would love to have him
There isn't a snowball's chance in hell Jay Cutler and BOB could coexist. No. Way.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell Jay Cutler and BOB could coexist. No. Way.

I actually read someone suggesting McDaniels to Chicago. McDaniels/Cutler round 2? Not bloody likely.

Unless given full power or having a good relationship with the existing general manager I don't see Mcdaniels going anywhere besides Atlanta due to the fact they have a somewhat competent owner and a GM he knows.

I actually read someone suggesting McDaniels to Chicago. McDaniels/Cutler round 2? Not bloody likely.

Yea. Another Shaq/Kobe love fest...

JMD goes only if he has sign off that he can cut Cutler after 2015 season. From the looks of his contract, it looks like the Bears can get out from under it quite nicely in 2016 and beyond.

http://overthecap.com/player/jay-cutler/130/

I will be surprised if McDaniels even goes on any interviews this week. IIRC, I've read where he's already stated that he likes it here and isn't going anywhere.

On some other matters in this thread

a. Idik's problem was all in personnel. He had 19 picks in his 2 years, and about all he got out of it was Sheldon Richardson (a nice get BTW) Lots of injuries though, so the final chapter on those 19 picks isn't written yet, but to date its been almost historically unproductive.

b. Hard to believe that a career cap guy had complete control of the draft. Equally hard to believe the Ryan didn't have a bigger hand in who was drafted for his team that is publicly perceived. I'm constantly amazed how he gets a free pass for any responsibility for the Jets roster.

c. It will be interesting to see who the Jets will manage to get to take the GM and HC'ing jobs. Of course someone will do it since there are only 32 of each position in the world. However given the QB and ownership situation, it won't be anyone who has other choices.

Remember, Woody Johnson is the guy who BB took one look at and ran screaming from the Jets facility into the waiting arms of Bob Kraft. BB has proven to have great instincts. Now after 15 years of Woody's mismanagement on the record, its easy to see that the problems with the Jets start at the top. It wasn't that easy to see in the early months of 2000. ANOTHER great call by BB. ;)

d. Rex has some great qualities as a leader, but all in all, he wasn't a good HC. His lack of attention to details. His consistently poor game management. His lack of holding people accountable. His inability to improve the players he got. His inability to put together a long term staff. And worst of all, his inability to recognize and improve on his weaknesses are all examples on why whoever hires him next time, will ultimately be disappointed in the results

On the plus side, he will give great pressers, his players will love him and play hard for him, and his defenses will be better than average. Those positives simply don't outweigh all the negatives. If Rex were really smart he'd take the TV job and allow the media perception of his "success" as a HC to grow, rather than have a 2nd failure reveal the truth for all to see. In other words, get out while you have the chance, Rex. ;)

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back