PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it time for the NFL to dump the Rooney rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of geniuses in here with the brilliant argument to get them to change the rule (a rule that the owners voluntarily adopted and imposed on themselves).

Just tell them they are being racist by helping out minorities by giving them job interviews. What a brilliant strategy, sure to work, no holes in it at all!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The evidence is in this very thread that you're a liar. You took a definition and cut off the second half of it so that the part where it said the policy has to be BASED on a doctrine of one race being inferior to another.

In your mind, a bill targeting research on sickle cell anemia in blacks is racist because it's not for whites, for blacks only. Any mention of race in a policy is wrong.

Racism doesnt necessitate thinking a different group is inferior, sorry but that's simply incorrect.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

There you go, racial discrimination, which distinguishing based on race is.

Also, you do know that sickle cell anemia is far more prevelant in blacks than in whites, is the disease racist:p

Lots of geniuses in here with the brilliant argument to get them to change the rule (a rule that the owners voluntarily adopted and imposed on themselves).

Just tell them they are being racist by helping out minorities by giving them job interviews. What a brilliant strategy, sure to work, no holes in it at all!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hmmm, if all the teams want it why do you need a rule forcing them to do it?

In my opinion, the days of practices reverse-descrimination laws should come to an end...especially in professional sports.

All we need to do is look at who we voted into the oval office...

Last edited:
Racism doesnt necessitate thinking a different group is inferior, sorry but that's simply incorrect.

Racism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

There you go, racial discrimination, which distinguishing based on race is.

Also, you do know that sickle cell anemia is far more prevelant in blacks than in whites, is the disease racist:p

Then why did you go out of your way to alter the definition in the earlier post? I saw where you got the definition and you cut off the second half of the definition that said there must be an implicit doctrine on the inferiority of one or more races. That was in the basic definition, and you went out of your way to cut them out.

In my opinion, the days of practices reverse-descrimination laws should come to an end...especially in professional sports.

All we need to do is look at who we voted into the oval office...

Sigh. He was VOTED into office. The guy who preceded him was a legacy admit all his life riding his Daddy's coattails. That's what's wrong with you guys. Bush got his jobs NOT because he was best for the job--obviously. But because of power, privilege and connections. Speak the truth next time.

Sigh. He was VOTED into office. The guy who preceded him was a legacy admit all his life riding his Daddy's coattails. That's what's wrong with you guys. Bush got his jobs NOT because he was best for the job--obviously. But because of power, privilege and connections. Speak the truth next time.

So Bush wasn't voted into office, is that what you're saying?

Uh, so what? Since we voted for Obama, racism is no longer an issue in other quarters?

Racism will probably exist as long as people can perceive "race" but so will fatism, the question is whether racism will prevent someone who is talented from suceeding.

So Bush wasn't voted into office, is that what you're saying?

Everyone knows it. Thugs showed up at the door and stopped the recount.

Bush was a legacy admit to Yale. Bush and his brother Neal ran companies into the ground, bankrupted them. He took his father's $$ and bought the Texas Rangers, and sold for millions in a sweetheart deal with his political benefactor--a scam deal. Come on, his brother was governor of Florida and ran interference for him during that election. Be real.

Anyone here that knocks Obama--a guy from a one parent family--for climbing up the ladder while holding out Bush as a good example of "deserving" a position is totally intellectually bankrupt.

This has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with people in positions of power making sure their spawn get a leg up. But so many of you are kosher with that.

At the same time, how about distinguishing between overt racism and underlying discrimination.

Tell me, why are there barely any college head coaches or administrative directors who are minorities in college football? This, despite the fact that the majority of college football players are African American.

I can answer that, but you may not like the answer I give you.

Far, FAR more African-American athletes come from disadvantaged areas where school systems perform very poorly. Even though they go to college on scholarships, they don't necessarily have to learn anything (that goes for any athlete).

The result is a less qualified pool of candidates who are African-American than caucasian former athletes. Besides, any front-office personnel don't necessarily have to be former athletes.

Former athletes are not always the best candidates for coaching jobs.

The best way to interview candidates for any job, coaching included, would be for the interviewer to be blindfolded and listen to them state their case as to why they are the best candidate.

If I owned a professional team or was president of some university, the race of my coach shouldn't matter. I just want the guy who will be most successful, period.

Maybe you should ask yourself why more women aren't coaching male teams even as many, many males are coaching women's teams.

Last edited:
Uh, so what? Since we voted for Obama, racism is no longer an issue in other quarters?

In my opinion, the last thing we need is quotas so that every race has it's share of jobs. Think about if every company had to be staffed to reflect the general population of America. That would blantantly and simply be bad for business.

Racism will probably exist as long as people can perceive "race" but so will fatism, the question is whether racism will prevent someone who is talented from suceeding.

I agree with THIS point 100%.

The very idea that under-qualified candidates should get a job as we wait for disparities in education, etc. to even themselves out if ridiculous.

In my opinion, the last thing we need is quotas so that every race has it's share of jobs. Think about if every company had to be staffed to reflect the general population of America. That would blantantly and simply be bad for business.

Where are you coming up with this?

It's the exact reverse.

There are implied reverse quotas caused by bias in the hiring process which have been proven in studies.

Quotas for race are illegal. They don't exist.

No one has figured out what to do about legacy hires or legacy admits however.

Hell, look at the Jets OC.

Last edited:
I agree with THIS point 100%.

The very idea that under-qualified candidates should get a job as we wait for disparities in education, etc. to even themselves out if ridiculous.

Under-qualified candidates get jobs all the time, but none of you seems to have a problem with it.

It's the exact reverse.

There are implied reverse quotas caused by bias in the hiring process which have been proven in studies.

My point is that it shouldn't even be a goal. I never said we have laws that enforce quotas. It's just a poor way to even think.

Under-qualified candidates get jobs all the time, but none of you seems to have a problem with it.

You're making a general statement. If someone is hired who is under-qualified, hopefully they'll get canned. I wouldn't want to work with such a person and have to pick up their slack, would you?

Everyone knows it. Thugs showed up at the door and stopped the recount.

Bush was a legacy admit to Yale. Bush and his brother Neal ran companies into the ground, bankrupted them. He took his father's $$ and bought the Texas Rangers, and sold for millions in a sweetheart deal with his political benefactor--a scam deal. Come on, his brother was governor of Florida and ran interference for him during that election. Be real.

Anyone here that knocks Obama--a guy from a one parent family--for climbing up the ladder while holding out Bush as a good example of "deserving" a position is totally intellectually bankrupt.

This has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with people in positions of power making sure their spawn get a leg up. But so many of you are kosher with that.

You're inconsistent, If you want people who aren’t in the current power structure (good old boy network) to have a shot at an interview I’m fine with that, I’ve already said so multiple times, throw the names into a pool and select them at random, done.

The truth is that you want it to be about race rather than power, my system actually would give more people a shot who dont have connections.

It's the exact reverse.

1 - Look at the discrimination against whites in the NBA, this is beyond obvious.

2 - Just because someone is a "legacy" it doesnt mean they're not qualified.

You're inconsistent, If you want people who aren’t in the current power structure (good old boy network) to have a shot at an interview I’m fine with that, I’ve already said so multiple times, throw the names into a pool and select them at random, done.

The truth is that you want it to be about race rather than power, my system actually would give more people a shot who dont have connections.

The people who aren't in the power structure are conspicuous by race. Obviously. That's why the Rooney Rule is about race. The GOB network is all white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back