PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill's offensive roster building

Good point. If you look at some young coaches play design and schemes like Miami 49ers rams packers Vikings then you see much more innovative plays where guys who are average weapons at best are in a position to make plays
The pats offense is easily one of the most predictable offenses within the last years

you mean the 3rd down screen to juju doesn't work like a charm?

That‘s definitely one of the aspects
Using a quicker Douglas would may gain a yard or two instead or maybe use a rb or te Screen if you have to due to the o line issues

Mike Evans will be a free agent next year but it's a longshot since:
1- He'll likely want to go to a serious playoff contender. The Patriots can't be considered that until they have stars or up and coming clutch performers on the offensive side of the ball. They use to have these guys in spades, then #12 left.

2- He'll like want a top 10 QB. MAC is average or below average, a younger Tannehill.

3. He'll likely get 3 years for $75mil for an average of $25mil. At 31 next year, there is no way BB will pay it. Any WR in their 30's get a 50% discount per BB.

Mike Evans will be a free agent next year but it's a longshot since:
1- He'll likely want to go to a serious playoff contender. The Patriots can't be considered that until they have stars or up and coming clutch performers on the offensive side of the ball. They use to have these guys in spades, then #12 left.

2- He'll like want a top 10 QB. MAC is average or below average, a younger Tannehill.

3. He'll likely get 3 years for $75mil for an average of $25mil. At 31 next year, there is no way BB will pay it. Any WR in their 30's get a 50% discount per BB.
He fought for a big extension from the Bucs, who don’t even have their starting QB under contract next season. He’s going to whoever pays him the most, team and QB quality be damned.

Since Tom Brady left, beginning with the 2020 Draft...here are the offensive players (non-linemen) chosen by Bill the GM and their draft position and their "status" with the club:
Devin Asiasi, 3rd #91 - GONE
Dalton Keene 3rd #101 - GONE
Mac Jones 1st #15 - Starter, average at best
Rhamondre Stevenson 4th #120 - Starter (I guess), quickly entering jag territory
Tre Nixon 7th #242 - GONE
Tyquan Thornton 2nd #50 - USELESS
Pierre Strong 4th #127 - GONE
Bailey Zappe 4th #137 - backup
Kevin Harris 6th #183 - GONE
Kayshon Boutte 6th #187 - ball in tall grass
Demarrio Douglas 6th # #210 - ball in tall grass

Folks, that's Bill the GMs last 4 drafts. These guys should be contributing every game aside from the rookies. These drafts picks show me that Bill the GM simply thinks his scheme will win out and he doesn't need impact players on offense to win in today's nfl. Bill the GM has drafted more kickers (3) than tight ends. Bill the GM doesn't need top end talent at receiver or tight end, and he'll be damned if he picks another receiver in the first round. Tight end? no way, we can get Jags from other teams.

Negligent.

No LT except some last-minute moves with Lowe. Gave up a lot in Pierre Strong.

RT should be Trent Brown.

Gave up on Chasen Hines. Tried him out at LG. Wrong position. He’s strictly RG or backup center.

Moved Wynn to RT last season? What a mistake. Wynn played better at LG for Niami than Strange did for the Patriots.

Since Tom Brady left, beginning with the 2020 Draft...here are the offensive players (non-linemen) chosen by Bill the GM and their draft position and their "status" with the club:
Devin Asiasi, 3rd #91 - GONE
Dalton Keene 3rd #101 - GONE
Mac Jones 1st #15 - Starter, average at best
Rhamondre Stevenson 4th #120 - Starter (I guess), quickly entering jag territory
Tre Nixon 7th #242 - GONE
Tyquan Thornton 2nd #50 - USELESS
Pierre Strong 4th #127 - GONE
Bailey Zappe 4th #137 - backup
Kevin Harris 6th #183 - GONE
Kayshon Boutte 6th #187 - ball in tall grass
Demarrio Douglas 6th # #210 - ball in tall grass

Folks, that's Bill the GMs last 4 drafts. These guys should be contributing every game aside from the rookies. These drafts picks show me that Bill the GM simply thinks his scheme will win out and he doesn't need impact players on offense to win in today's nfl. Bill the GM has drafted more kickers (3) than tight ends. Bill the GM doesn't need top end talent at receiver or tight end, and he'll be damned if he picks another receiver in the first round. Tight end? no way, we can get Jags from other teams.

It's a change in philosophy that needs to happen. Bill never really cared about offense because he had Brady to clean it up.

Since 2018 he really hasn't invested in offense and was partly why Brady left. Poor receivers and a makeshift OL. Sound familiar?

Bill is a defense and special teams guy. So I get it he wants depth all over that side of the field. But then he leaves the offense out to dry and you can't win in today's NFL with defense and special teams. Offenses are too good, too dynamic.

Maybe Mac is just average. I think it's Abit harsh to put these losses on him. But we'll never know because we have Jags at wide receiver.

I saw a stat that at one point 88 out of 111 of tuas yards were YAC. It shows the value of high end talent

I mean how can you go into a battle when one team has hill and Waddle open for 20 yards and the other team needs to be perfect because our wide receivers are jags and our OL is weak and we can't run the ball...

Who said that teams are dumb for paying WRs?

Clearly Belichick is not averse to paying guys, when you see Algholor or Jonnu making $12m or $15m.

Here's what I keep wondering about this narrative: name a receiver we could've taken? There was no one available in free agency.

The Tyreek Hill and Stephon Diggs trades were not available to the Patriots because of the multiple premium top 10 picks. You can't trade what you don't have.

On the other hand, you're right about AJ Brown. They could've given up multiple #1s, but then you wouldn't have Gonzalez.

They can't make these guys materialize out of nothing. They could've taken Zay Flowers too, but again, you lose on Gonzalez.
D.Hop. But Bill didn’t want to open up the check book.

It’s ok Cause we paid Ju Ju a ton of money and he makes Harry look like Tyreek Hill.

What drove me nuts was when Bill decided to put Demario Douglas in the corner for spilling his milk they just popped Juju in his place and didn't change anything. Juju and Douglas are too completely different kinds of slot receivers and for some reason we didn't seem to adjust. Did we really build an offensive game plan assuming we'd have one guy and then when that guy wasn't in there we just winged it with the next guy?

Question is - is RKK sharp enough to notice BB is slipping in talent acquisition & roster management?
I wonder if BOB has full authority in the offensive plan, or if he has to run what BB approves?

I think we need to stop ****yfooting around it. Bill is at this point a sub-par GM, particularly when it comes to WR, arguably other "skill positions," whether he is drafting, signing, or trading for them. His handling of the O-line is just abysmally bad. He mishandled the transitions at tight end. He mishandled the transition away from Brady, lucked in to a promising alternative - Mac - then promptly put every connceivable obstacle to Mac's success in place, including royally f'ing up the offensive coaching last year, opting for familiarity and Buddy Status, likely for suck-up cringing obeisance, over competence. His judgment as to balancing expenditure of financial and draft resources on offense vs. Defense blows chunks. I fervently hope the Krafts will address this, since aside from token changes, Bill has chosen essentially to ignore the Krafts' previous expressions of concern in this area. Bill is by a wide margin the best coach in my 60+ years as a Pats fan, but he is at this point a lousy GM. I'd fire that GM. If Bill refuses to continue coaching if he cannot "buy the groceries, so it goes. Sic transit Gloria Mundi.

Let me stipulate that this has indeed been "previously discussed" and welcome protestations that I am not a "true fan" because I won't kiss the ring. Whatever. But maybe actual counterarguments would be preferable, if you really care to show me where I'm wrong, if I am.

I have a fear that Mac will go to a different loaded team and be super successful . If I am a budding coach from the shanahan tree and am rebuilding a team with 2 dynamic playmakers in offense , I will just take Mac for a first rounder. The falcons should be a solid team with Mac .

Then we all can cry saying we should have never left Mac go. Bill and most pats fans are pushing Mac to that extent . Despite this abomination of an offense, Mac was terrific and he showed some moves i.e. what he can do when he is on the move and the throws were terrific . Bourne and gesicki we're too slow to take advantage of it. The throws weren't under thrown.

We are lucky that Mac fell to us and we should be loading the offense for next 2-3 years to see what we can do with Mac. Bill has already wasted 2 years of Mac's prime .

Last edited:
D.Hop. But Bill didn’t want to open up the check book.
D. Hop was toast last season. He would fit right in with our not quite ready for prime time players.

I miss the Flores defenses they were clutch for us.
I’m on record with this we need a former offensive superstar as a head coach.
Edelman, Welker, Brady.
You actually believe this ?

You actually believe this ?
I think in this league now players need a coach they can relate to, young guys respect ex players who have played the game and both Edelman and Welker have that winning pedigree.
Welker is tuned into that Miami offense perfectly, we could weaken them and bring a fan favorite back.
Because whatever coach replaces Bill will have a very bright light on them.

Fan favs are great but Welker has a long way to go before he is a HC. He’d have to be a OC and a good one before that would ever be realistic

Brady and Edelman are terrible choices. They aren’t the type at all. They are commercial. Booth color guys

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back