PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill's offensive roster building

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
all offseason we heard from some fans that teams are dumb for paying receivers and how bill is smarter than the rest of the league when some fans pointed out how other teams went and got hill, aj brown, diggs etc...

well last 2 games it's pretty evident we have no horses. no guys who can separate or make plays. bill is still building the team like its the 90's. play tough defense, run the ball and play mistake free offense. you cant win in the nfl that way anymore. we brought a knife to a gun fight and couldn't keep up.

look how easy hill/waddle make it look for tua. always open, 20 yards pop. instead its screen to juju, hope bourne gets open 5-8 yards out.

sure bill built up the defense. but we are left with average receivers and a poor OL. cant run the ball and have to go in 13 play methodical drives. and so far Juju looks like a mistake. when we couldve had meyers for the same price. who had 80 yards and 2 td's in his debut.

Bill wants to win games 20-19.
this is an offensive league and teams need playmakers to win games.
Pats had 2 plays the past 2 weeks that are the team in a nutshell.
both plays, the team needs 4 yards. (1) JuJu could not beat his man. (2) Gesicki did not run a 4 yard route, he ran a 3 yard route.
both plays fail.
Mac 26 for 27 on passes under 10 yards. none of his "playmakers" could make plays after the catch (his best playmaker was benched)
old school thinking in a new school league
so far, old school is losing

all offseason we heard from some fans that teams are dumb for paying receivers and how bill is smarter than the rest of the league when some fans pointed out how other teams went and got hill, aj brown, diggs etc...

well last 2 games it's pretty evident we have no horses. no guys who can separate or make plays. bill is still building the team like its the 90's. play tough defense, run the ball and play mistake free offense. you cant win in the nfl that way anymore. we brought a knife to a gun fight and couldn't keep up.

look how easy hill/waddle make it look for tua. always open, 20 yards pop. instead its screen to juju, hope bourne gets open 5-8 yards out.

sure bill built up the defense. but we are left with average receivers and a poor OL. cant run the ball and have to go in 13 play methodical drives. and so far Juju looks like a mistake. when we couldve had meyers for the same price. who had 80 yards and 2 td's in his debut.

I think you build the foundation first, and the skill players after that, but I definitely agree that WR and OL need to be the focus of the next offseason. If Tee Higgins comes free then go hard after him, then draft a top WR early. Same goes for OL, add a really good tackle in free agency, and take one high in the draft. All this obviously depends upon who is available both in the draft, and in free agency, but those are obvious priorities.

Who said that teams are dumb for paying WRs?

Clearly Belichick is not averse to paying guys, when you see Algholor or Jonnu making $12m or $15m.

Here's what I keep wondering about this narrative: name a receiver we could've taken? There was no one available in free agency.

The Tyreek Hill and Stephon Diggs trades were not available to the Patriots because of the multiple premium top 10 picks. You can't trade what you don't have.

On the other hand, you're right about AJ Brown. They could've given up multiple #1s, but then you wouldn't have Gonzalez.

They can't make these guys materialize out of nothing. They could've taken Zay Flowers too, but again, you lose on Gonzalez.

Who said that teams are dumb for paying WRs?

Clearly Belichick is not averse to paying guys, when you see Algholor or Jonnu making $12m or $15m.

Here's what I keep wondering about this narrative: name a receiver we could've taken? There was no one available in free agency.

The Tyreek Hill and Stephon Diggs trades were not available to the Patriots because of the multiple premium top 10 picks. You can't trade what you don't have.

On the other hand, you're right about AJ Brown. They could've given up multiple #1s, but then you wouldn't have Gonzalez.

They can't make these guys materialize out of nothing. They could've taken Zay Flowers too, but again, you lose on Gonzalez.
They're losing because of lack of playmakers on offense. I'm fine with not picking Gonzo, as good as he is.

I think one of the points that cannot be overlooked is the mess that was last year......looking at FA's coming up and available monies, the process is off by a year......I suspect they'll load up a bit more for next year

I think one of the points that cannot be overlooked is the mess that was last year......looking at FA's coming up and available monies, the process is off by a year......I suspect they'll load up a bit more for next year
This was a big problem for us, it was one of the weakest FA classes I'd ever seen, especially at our key positions of tackle and WR.

This was a big problem for us, it was one of the weakest FA classes I'd ever seen, especially at our key positions of tackle and WR.
Offensive tackle it was one of the deepest class in years the FA imo

Guys like Taylor mcglinchey mcgary and brown are starting material which rarely is available in FA with this quality imo..

A big part of the problem is the fact that you’re a bully ball type of club with a **** offensive line. Yes, a lot of the issues are due to injuries but others are due to questionable decisions. Cole Strange in rd. 1? The dude has had his moments but even on his best day, I dont believe anyone here would champion that decision. RT position was going to be a problem. Everyone knew it, *****ed about it, discussed a ton of different options. What we witnessed last night was embarrassing . Receivers? I know they can be fast, explosive playmakers. I’ve seen them do it. JJSS has made some big plays, same with KB and Parker. Why aren’t they? Why do they have so much difficulty getting separation or racking up that yac? I really loved Pop fumbling the ball and then not getting another chance out there. Coach did what was best for the team I’m assuming… I’m sorry everyone but this **** and this narrative of being so close and needing just one more play or one more stop or one more call swing our way has got to change. Bill HAS to find a way to fix these things and he needs to be aggressive. This team has some really good pieces that are just being wasted.

The offensive line was too injured to practice together all preseason and only now are getting healthy… and we’re surprised they look bad?

Weapons…. it’s always “weapons” and “no talent”… they told us this early in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

Fix the blocking, get healthy… everything else will fix itself.

BB still thinks 12 is back there he ain't passing Shula with his stubbornness. D-Hop should have never left here without a contract and it looks like Juju is toast plus he gave Parker an extension. And Boney T oh boy I'll just stop now.

The offensive line was too injured to practice together all preseason and only now are getting healthy… and we’re surprised they look bad?

Weapons…. it’s always “weapons” and “no talent”… they told us this early in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

Stop with the excuses there is a formula to beat the Patriots go up two scores. They will be lucky to win Four Games we are going to waste a Good not Great Defense.

Offensive tackle it was one of the deepest class in years the FA imo

Guys like Taylor mcglinchey mcgary and brown are starting material which rarely is available in FA with this quality imo..
Taylor has seemed serviceable so far, and a good player.

McGlinchey, McGary and Orlando Brown have come under extreme criticism from their fan bases. We'll see if they flop, but they are on the road to flopdom. The McGlinchey signing in particular has been called the worst contract in football

Calvin Anderson makes Wyñn look like a HOFer he's dog crap. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stop with the excuses there is a formula to beat the Patriots go up two scores. They will be lucky to win Four Games we are going to waste a Good not Great Defense.
Saying the offensive line is playing poorly is not an “excuse” genius.

Taylor has seemed serviceable so far, and a good player.

McGlinchey, McGary and Orlando Brown have come under extreme criticism from their fan bases. We'll see if they flop, but they are on the road to flopdom. The McGlinchey signing in particular has been called the worst contract in football
That may be true but do you think the OT market will look better next FA? I highly doubt it in terms of quantity and quality

And who knows maybe one of them would have looked better here than they are doing with their current teams

Calvin Anderson makes Wyñn look like a HOFer he's dog crap. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Because of one sack allowed… good to see the typical first month of overreactions isn’t taking hold.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back