PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills fans still whining about Spygate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still whining about that hangover the day after sb36. Man that was euphoric to not have your kicker go wide right.

you'll always be Biggie Smalls to me. Bring him back!

Here is how the team has done with each avatar...

Biggie Smalls:
1. 2008 - Brady knocked out for season, team goes 11-5, misses playoffs.
2. 2009 - Team goes 10-6, creamed in first round of playoffs
TOTAL: 21-11, 0-1 playoffs

Commodus:
1. 2010 - Team goes 14-2, loses in divisional round.
2. 2011 - Team goes 13-3, beats Denver and Baltimore in divisional playoffs, AFCCG, gets Super Bowl berth, loses to Giants.
TOTAL: 27-5, 2-2 playoffs, 1 Super Bowl appearance

I think I'm going to have to stick with Commodus here. He's brought improvements in record and a Super Bowl berth. Maybe this year, he'll help the team take the next step.

Isn't it obvious?

No longer having Willie McGinest, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, Richard Seymour and Ty Law in their prime has NOTHING to do with the team not winning championships! Not taping signals has nothing to do with winning more games since then, but at the same time has everything to do with not winning championship games!

It's obvious!

/sarcasm

Here is how the team has done with each avatar...

Biggie Smalls:
1. 2008 - Brady knocked out for season, team goes 11-5, misses playoffs.
2. 2009 - Team goes 10-6, creamed in first round of playoffs
TOTAL: 21-11, 0-1 playoffs

Commodus:
1. 2010 - Team goes 14-2, loses in divisional round.
2. 2011 - Team goes 13-3, beats Denver and Baltimore in divisional playoffs, AFCCG, gets Super Bowl berth, loses to Giants.
TOTAL: 27-5, 2-2 playoffs, 1 Super Bowl appearance

I think I'm going to have to stick with Commodus here. He's brought improvements in record and a Super Bowl berth. Maybe this year, he'll help the team take the next step.

I loved Joaquin as Commodus, but the fact is he hasn't brought home the big prize. Maybe you should try Maximus?

I loved Joaquin as Commodus, but the fact is he hasn't brought home the big prize. Maybe you should try Maximus?

Give Commodus one more year. I've never held an avatar on a forum for three years or more before. Maybe this is the year that Commodus brings us the Lombardi.

Isn't it obvious?

No longer having Willie McGinest, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, Richard Seymour and Ty Law in their prime has NOTHING to do with the team not winning championships! Not taping signals has nothing to do with winning more games since then, but at the same time has everything to do with not winning championship games!

It's obvious!

/sarcasm

You are a Moderator so Im going to take an emotional step back and be politic about how I phrase this... ;)

.... I'm quietly experiencing an aneurysm brought on by Bruschi not being on that list. :eek:

Last edited:
Whats funny is that there head coach at the time said he has done the same thing.

Give Commodus one more year. I've never held an avatar on a forum for three years or more before. Maybe this is the year that Commodus brings us the Lombardi.

All this talk of Commodus got me to change my av. Motivation takes strange forms.

You are a Moderator so Im going to take an emotional step back and be politic about how I phrase this... ;)

.... I'm quietly experiencing an aneurysm brought on by Bruschi not being on that list. :eek:

Sorry about that, I was literally off my seat and typing standing up, on my way to a meeting, and hit submit rather than waiting to complete the list. Just got back; knew I was missing at least one key player.

Mea culpa.

:(

Last edited:
I think the funniest thing about that thread is that they are constantly talking about how the NFL is covering it up. Its like the linchpin to their entire argument. The only problem is that the NFL were the ones that discovered and reported what they found on the tapes. If the NFL didn't want anyone to know then nobody would have ever heard about it.

This is really a case of believing what you want to believe. Don't be too hard on them. That's a difficult team to be a fan of. I kinda feel sorry for them.

I wonder if the Bills play Norwegian Wood at their home games.

Probably not.

And oh yeah.

Can't resist.

WIDE AND RIGHT.

I think the funniest thing about that thread is that they are constantly talking about how the NFL is covering it up. Its like the linchpin to their entire argument. The only problem is that the NFL were the ones that discovered and reported what they found on the tapes. If the NFL didn't want anyone to know then nobody would have ever heard about it.

This is really a case of believing what you want to believe. Don't be too hard on them. That's a difficult team to be a fan of. I kinda feel sorry for them.

Standard fare for fans of other teams on the subject. Typical rationale is that the NFL wanted to cover it up, but they couldn't because it had become public, or something like that. There's also the 'Kraft and Goodell are best buddies' theory that ignores the fact that Kraft tried to get his pal from Fidelity in as the commish, and only begrudgingly changed his vote after it became apparent that wasn't going to happen. Put those in the same category that filming has an incredibly huge effect ... while at the same time only has the effect of three points.

Perhaps the best one I ever read was the theory that Brady was not NFL caliber and only succeeded pre-2007 because he supposedly knew what the defensive play call was ... but after the filming stopped he remained successful due to having had that much playing experience. So I guess based on that logic Ryan Fitzpatrick and mark Sanchez should be headed towards MVP seasons next year, because at that point they too will have a similar amount of starting experience.

Nobody seems to want to acknowledge the fact that The Patriots have been far and away the best offensive team in the over the 5 years since spygate, The Patriots have a higher win percentage (the highest in the league over the 5 year span), have posted historic offensive numbers and been to two Superbowls.

Do people understand that the Patriots actually improved offensively since Spygate?

Like any Patriots fan will tell you, Spygate was blown out of proportion by virtually everyone, the league, the commissioner, and of course the fans. Other superbowl coaches such as Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher have come out and said that basically everyone did it and there wasn't a huge benefit.

So why did Belichick do it? Because he is trying to win. Belichick is the same coach who does anything and everything to prepare for a game, having his players practice outside during bad weather, practicing exhaustive 'situations' drills in practice, adopt the 'Patriot Way' (of shutting up). Belichick is looking for every advantage he can get and for many years (i'm suspecting) while he was coaching, he used Signals as a way to gain even a minimal advantage.

Am i going to sit here and say that Defensive Signals gave no advantage? No. But when you have a quarterback like Tom Brady who goes out there and can see 95% of what the Defense is trying to do with his own eyes before he snaps the ball, how much of an offensive advantage is there to be gained?

It is also important to note that stealing signals is perfectly legal, anyone can write down the motion, or even photograph the signals without any problem from the league, it is the videotaping of the signals which the league banned, and what Belichick and the Team were punished (in excess) for.

The fans can make up any damn excuse they want for why the Patriots have dominated their team for more than a decade now, but the simple fact is that Belichick and Brady are what make this team so great, Belichick's coaching mentality and Vision paired with Brady's Ability and Football Intelligence is a winning combination which no other team possesses.

PM me with his sister's contact info

There isn't a Pats fan over the age of 12 who doesn't know all the ins and outs of the "spygate" issue. There is NOTHING new to be heard. On the other hand, NOTHING will aggravate a Pats fan more that listening to a hater use illogic and misinformation to demean our team unjustly.

So I ask the question, WHY THE **** would anyone in their right mind go out of their way to aggravate the couple of thousand Pats fans who regularly visit this board, by posting the bitter musings of a loser Bill fan.

A proper mod would remove this piece of trash, simply because there is nothing new to discuss. There is nothing new to discus and no basis for dialogue. I would no more want to listen to some tin hat tell me that the UN is trying to take over the world, the Holocaust didn't happen, Jews and Blacks are mud people, as hear another whiner tell me the Pats superbowls were tainted by doing something in 2007 that was legal in 2001, 2003, and 2004

Agreed. The "It was a coverup" claim flies in the face of logic and common sense. Something that was front and center for so long wasn't covered up.

If you're looking for some examples of a coverup, you can look at the security footage from Roethlisberger's rape case conveniently disappearing. On a more football related note, from what I recall of the Saints bounty story, the league learned about, told them to stop and it only became public after the NFL found that NO hadn't stopped. If the Saints had followed instructions initially, the whole thing would have been covered up.

Another annoying display of stupidity is the people, like the author of the book in the OP, who claim that the Patriots could have figured out an opponent's defensive calls by the end of the first quarter. If it's so easy and can be done in one 15 minute period, why tape signals the entire game? And what team shows every defensive look they have in the first quarter?

As far as the camera-gate book and interview, there was a thread about this back in August. Some interesting things I've learned since then are:

- According to an article in the NY Post before the first Patriots-Jets game this year, the author spent $30K to publish this book. He is some sort of commodities trader. Would you want him handling your investment if you knew how he throws away his money?
- Amazon sales of this book show that 24 have been sold so far in November. 29 were sold in October. At less than 1 per day and a $20 price tag ($9 for Kindle), it's going to take a long time to make back that $30K.
- The author is Steelers fan, but you wouldn't know it from his interviews or press releases. He merely describes himself as a "die-hard NFL fan." He's either ashamed to be a Steelers fan or he knows it will hurt his credibility if he's honest about it.

What makes me laugh about all this is when other fans and players said, "They must be cheating. They were playing like they knew our plays ahead of time." Guess what? They know because teams get predictable in their play calling. How many times have you and your friends called out a play before it happens and you are right? Teams follow trends. Belichick and the Patriots were better at recognizing those trends than anyone else.

"What else was on those tapes? What are they hiding by destroying them?" It's a football game. What other than coaches signals could they be taping that is that bad? What do they think there is shots of the other teams cheerleaders? Maybe the lone gunman in a grassy knoll. This, to me, has always been one of the more ridiculous statements by detractors. What is most likely on those tapes is proof of other teams taping. Steve Walsh, dic# that he is, said that he would be standing side by side with guys taping for other teams.

Spygate is a media driven event that escalated past the point of reason. Goodell, being the new sheriff in town, decided to use it as an excuse to flex his muscles. But in caving to media pressure and not handling it openly and honestly, Goodell has basically tarnished the Patriots and the NFL. I think he mishandled every part of it.

They sound really sad and pathetic, a lot of them are talking about the book like it's their bible. Talking about how it opened their eyes and refusing to acknowledge the complete lack of evidence behind their arguments.

I signed up to refute some of the points, but the moderators won't let me post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST