PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills do NOT match Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a happy endings kind of guy and prefer to focus on how today Gillislee's life is changing dramatically.

He's an original Miami 5th round draft choice in 2013 and gets 6 rushing chances in 2 years.

He got cut in Miami, gets cut from AZ practice squad and ends on Buffalo's practice squad always wondering if he will ever get a chance a chance to prove what he could do and get a chance to earn life changing money.

This morning he's emptying out his locker, shaking hands and getting props from teammates for escaping Buffalo and securing a healthy paycheck.

You mean he's not the Messiah?

One of my biggest complaints about LG Blount was his lack of speed at the line of scrimmage.

Gillislee, on the other hand, knows how to attack the hole at the line of scrimmage. He's super fast

You have to admit, he goes down a lot easier than Blount. Since we already have two fast RBs I'd love to see more clips of broken tackles. Not superfast or superquick at the combine. Let's see how he looks with more than cameo appearances.

You have to admit, he goes down a lot easier than Blount. Since we already have two fast RBs I'd love to see more clips of broken tackles. Not superfast or superquick at the combine. Let's see how he looks with more than cameo appearances.

He's been in the league long enough to make the combine #s almost irrelevent.

Its worth noting that Gillislee finished #3 in the league last year in YAC. I think Blount was up there too 20lbs heavier.

Aside from the PFF stat, the guy ALWAYS falls forward and does not dance behind the LoC. One cut n go.

I don't think Gillislee is elite but no question he will do well here.

He's been in the league long enough to make the combine #s almost irrelevent.

Its worth noting that Gillislee finished #3 in the league last year in YAC. I think Blount was up there too 20lbs heavier.

Aside from the PFF stat, the guy ALWAYS falls forward and does not dance behind the LoC. One cut n go.

I don't think Gillislee is elite but no question he will do well here.

I don't think combines are that relevant anyway. Since he will be the power back, I'd like to see more contact clips. I'm looking forward to seeing him, but if running fast through big holes was all, every college back with a highlight film would be HOF.

Not sure where he's "been in the league", so much. His career total is a half season worth of carries and he got cut twice before Buffalo, I believe.

I don't think combines are that relevant anyway. Since he will be the power back, I'd like to see more contact clips. I'm looking forward to seeing him, but if running fast through big holes was all, every college back with a highlight film would be HOF.

Not sure where he's "been in the league", so much. His career total is a half season worth of carries and he got cut twice before Buffalo, I believe.

My novice opinion.

I watched most of his carries from last season. He's not necessarily a power back but he's not afraid of contact. He is extremely explosive at the line and he seems to be able to find gaps quickly and explode through them. But I think where he is most dangerous is on the outside type runs or off tackle runs. He is fast enough to outrun most linebackers and quick enough to make them miss in space.

@robertweathers posted "one cut and go" which is a perfect description of him.

He's not going to power through the line or carry 7 guys into the endzone the way Blount did. If he breaks free into the secondary he is probably slightly faster than Blount in open space. The difference and possibly what most will consider the upgrade is his explosiveness at the line of scrimmage or after his cut. He runs lower than Blount as well.

Here is an example of what he'll do at the line of scrimmage. He had a gap and used it as leverage against Collins and blasted past him into the endzone. (Btw: Although I'm showing you a Pats game it pretty much reflects what I saw in most of his other games.)

Watch New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills [10/30/2016] - NFL.com

This is an example of what he can do on the outside. I think the outside is where he is most dangerous.

Here are the highlights from that game. Unfortunately it doesn't show the massive hit Hightower put on Gillislee. If Gillislee is squared up against a linebacker he usually loses that battle. But if, as in the highlight clip of his TD, he can get an angle on the linebacker or if there is a little space on either side of the linebacker that he can get to to create leverage he usually wins that battle.

re: Power Back...I don't think of him as a power back per se. Hes a runner who will be used in a variety of ways.

Hes been in the league 3 years, has stuck around and while we can argue over if there is enough of a sample size, has shown enough production on the stat sheet and on film at this level to determine he is a pretty decent runner at this level.

re: Power Back...I don't think of him as a power back per se. Hes a runner who will be used in a variety of ways.

Hes been in the league 3 years, has stuck around and while we can argue over if there is enough of a sample size, has shown enough production on the stat sheet and on film at this level to determine he is a pretty decent runner at this level.

He was extremely effective with the Gators in college and was effective with limited touches with the Bills. I think he's going to have a breakout season of sorts here. No Gator fan, nor anyone that watched Gator football in 2012, will be surprised.

He's definitely not a power back. He's slightly bigger than James White. What I like is his vision, patience and cutting ability. He also seems to find the cracks in the line and make himself smaller to sneak through. Also, he's quicker than he is fast. He's had a few long runs for TD's, but he's not going to blow away fast DBs. 4.55 certainly isn't slow, but he seems faster than that on the field.

Just to compare him to a RB in the NFL, or past RBs in the NFL. He reminds me of Terrell Davis, former Broncos back.

He was extremely effective with the Gators in college and was effective with limited touches with the Bills. I think he's going to have a breakout season of sorts here. No Gator fan, nor anyone that watched Gator football in 2012, will be surprised.

I think he will too. I've seen enough of him to convince me of that.

What I can't totally figure out is the actual reason why BUF has finished #1 in rushing the last 2 years. Is it because of the quality of the RBs? The o-line? Tyrod Taylor and his ability to be a threat running the ball? All three?

One of my biggest complaints about LG Blount was his lack of speed at the line of scrimmage.

Gillislee, on the other hand, knows how to attack the hole at the line of scrimmage. He's super fast

That was a good reminder of why Collins is gone.

This guy is going to be an absolute monster in this system.

He reminds me of Ridley, but without the case of 'fumble-itis'. Ridley could've been a stud but he couldn't hold onto the ball or stay on the field.

Gillislee will be able to get the tough yards this team will need. Blount, for as great as he was, when he received contact at the LOS, he ended up falling backwards for a loss, every single time. It became frustrating on 3rd and short situations seeing that over and over again.

Gillislee shouldn't have that problem.

This guy is going to be an absolute monster in this system.

He reminds me of Ridley, but without the case of 'fumble-itis'. Ridley could've been a stud but he couldn't hold onto the ball or stay on the field.

Gillislee will be able to get the tough yards this team will need. Blount, for as great as he was, when he received contact at the LOS, he ended up falling backwards for a loss, every single time. It became frustrating on 3rd and short situations seeing that over and over again.

Gillislee shouldn't have that problem.

Agree.

When Ridley 1st joined the team he had a very good burst. Then he put on more muscle and tried to become more cautious with the football he slowed down a little hitting the hole. He still had decent vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back