PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick's coaching tree

He played for Bill. He did not coach for him. They are two different things. His coaching tree began back at Ohio State and then through the Texans.
Hard to believe that you actually believe what you're writing.

Belichick, Crennel, O'Brien

That's the Vrabel coaching tree.

It's just demented to believe it's Ohio State when he spent many years with these 3

That's a great way of looking at it.

Also that philosophy doesn't work on a lot of players, which is why Bill has always put a priority on drafting high character team captains in the draft over the more physically talented players.

Perhaps that's where a lot of his coaches fail. They take over a team with a lot of vets that don't have the mentality to work under Bill's coaching philosophy.

Bill failed in Cleveland and was failing in NE until he got enough of his guys to buy into his philosophy and succeed.

That's not a knock against Bill to need the right players because literally every coach ever needs the right players to fit their system.

Bill needs players to be unselfish and work towards a common goal. Other coaches allow and have thrived allowing elite vets to freelance.
Failing in New England?

People have so little patience these days. It's incredible.

Hard to believe that you actually believe what you're writing.

Belichick, Crennel, O'Brien

That's the Vrabel coaching tree.

It's just demented to believe it's Ohio State when he spent many years with these 3
Bill is not part of his coaching tree. He never coached for Bill.

Failing in New England?

People have so little patience these days. It's incredible.
Yes he failed his first season unless you think a 5-11 record is successful.

But way to miss the point

That's not a failure.

As I said, no patience.

Bill is not part of his coaching tree. He never coached for Bill.
You have a very limited understanding of all of this.

And your arguments are totally twisted. Dismiss Saban's career because he made his name in college, but apparently Vrabel learned his stuff in college, and that's what we should focus on. LOL. Not his career under Belichick and his time under Crennel and O'Brien. Loony tunes.

When one tears down a failing 8-8 roster & revamp it in year 1, then rebuild it into a super bowl winner a season later, its hard to classify anything BB has done in New England as a failure.

You have a very limited understanding of all of this.

And your arguments are totally twisted. Dismiss Saban's career because he made his name in college, but apparently Vrabel learned his stuff in college, and that's what we should focus on. LOL. Not his career under Belichick and his time under Crennel and O'Brien. Loony tunes.
I didn't dismiss Saban's career. I just made the distinction between college and the NFL which is pretty relevant to this thread given we are talking about coaching trees of NFL coaches.

I have no idea why you are hung up on trying to put Vrabel into Bill's coaching tree. No one has him as part of his coaching tree because he didn't coach for Bill. If you want to try to monkey wrench him in because he coached under Bill O'Brien go ahead but that's not how coaching trees work.

Not hard to be a great coach when you get the top recruits every year. I remember Saban in the NFL, it wasn't pretty when he had to coach with a level playing field.

I remember Saban in the NFL, it wasn't pretty when he had to coach with no quarterback. I expect it may have been different had Drew Brees passed the physical.

I remember Saban in the NFL, it wasn't pretty when he had to coach with no quarterback. I expect it may have been different had Drew Brees passed the physical.
He had a lot of issues coaching in Miami if I recall correctly. He obviously didn't have the same control over NFL players that he had in college. I mean he is kind of a hardo so I can see where he would much prefer coaching young kids who may have an awe of him versus NFL players who could care less. I mean the NFL is not for everyone that's for sure.

He quit after 2 seasons to go to Bama. He realized the NFL was not for him.
He didn’t hate the NFL, he wanted Drew Brees but Miami medical staff didn’t clear him so he got Culpepper and most importantly Ms. Terry hated living in Miami and wanted to return to a small town.

When one tears down a failing 8-8 roster & revamp it in year 1, then rebuild it into a super bowl winner a season later, its hard to classify anything BB has done in New England as a failure.
Obtuse people with low reading discernment.

Bill was failing with the vet roster he took over, he rebuilt it with players that fit his philosophy, hence why Terry Glenn ended up bench despite being the most physically talented wr on the roster at the time.

Point is Bill needed to change up the roster to match his philosophy. That was the only point made.

Bill has spoken highly of his past coordinators only to have established vets on those teams complain about how much they hated the likes of BOB, Patricia, McDaniels, etc.

One of the problems with success is that other teams feed off your personnel.

None of the assistant coaches hired to become head coaches elsewhere were anywhere near ready. When BB was hired in Cleveland he was the youngest coach in the NFL, he was probably not ready nor understood exactly what he had to do. If he had known what to do he would have scuttled Bernie Kosar the moment he arrived and moved on, instead he was swayed by the ghost of Kosar, by the owner/front office and fan nostalgia to hang on and win with Bernie who was already washed up. Coaches can get better, they either improve or stand still.

BB is having a hard enough time with the young coaches on his 2022 staff. This team is erratic when it comes to tackling, blocking, knowing where to line up, false starts, offsides, dropped passes, dropped interceptions, fumbles, interceptions thrown, interceptions the result of fumbles, allowing blocked punts... everything mentioned the result of readiness, preparedness and execution... not "talent."

This is an undisciplined team, or have been to this point. They've shown the ability to do everything well, but can't do it consistently. There's nothing Judon can't do extraordinarily well at his position, but he and Van Noy showed horrible fundamentals last game versus the run on third down.

I don't want to blame the coaches, but until it's fixed you blame the coaches. They're only as good as they want to be.

Somebody has to put that desire in them right now. Win or go home.
QuoteEdit
3hWjAema9GE6sSo1VDL7.png
dislike

ya-da ya-da ya-da

way to completely miss the entire point you bloviating buffoon

First you say BB has to bring in players for "philosophy this" and "philosophy that"... then you go on to say 2000 was a failure...

The Point is his success is measured over time not in just one encapulated season- 2000 wasn't a failure in as much as it was a table setter because 2000 set the table for future success. New front office, small round of free agent acquisitions, etc... It was the First step in his "philosophy" ...

you just spent multiple posts arguing against your very premise of "philosophy philosophy" you dumb c⨃ck

I didn't dismiss Saban's career. I just made the distinction between college and the NFL which is pretty relevant to this thread given we are talking about coaching trees of NFL coaches.

I have no idea why you are hung up on trying to put Vrabel into Bill's coaching tree. No one has him as part of his coaching tree because he didn't coach for Bill. If you want to try to monkey wrench him in because he coached under Bill O'Brien go ahead but that's not how coaching trees work.
So why is Vrabel's Ohio State experience so relevant here if Saban's LSU/Alabama experience isn't?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back