PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Press Conference 7:30am (1/8/24)

I’m in the camp of:

1. Either blow it all up and clean house entirely both coaching AND personnel

OR

2. If you are bringing Bill back, hire Pioli back as he would be the only one with balls enough to disagree with Bill while still understanding what Bill wants in players (minus the “like to coach them ****”.)

I’m in the camp of:

OR

2. If you are bringing Bill back, hire Pioli back as he would be the only one with balls enough to disagree with Bill while still understanding what Bill wants in players (minus the “like to coach them ****”.)
No. More. Retreads.

Funny, because I just read that the top QBs facing the Patriots this year were considerably worse in those games than the rest of the year.
And this is a Pats team that lost its #1 CB, had its #2 CB out for several games, and lost its best DE.
They were good. They just were not excellent.

Teams knew they never had to push things against us because we could not score 20 points.

No question.

Hes going down fighting
Clearly he is not retiring.
Kraft needs to do what is best for the team Not what is necessarily what is best for BB.
If Bill stays, I believe he will dominate personnel decisions no matter who the GM is.
For that reason, I think Kraft needs to have balls and cut the cord quickly.

A lengthy drawn out process will hurt this team. Make a decision in next 48 hours. Let him go

When Belichick was strong-armed into abandoning the Patricia/Judge offensive omnishambles in 2023 and hiring BOB, he promptly undercut BOB's ability to do the job by not letting him manage his own staff and having to keep some of the old stiffs. After a string of sketchy drafts, in 2023 Belichick doubled down on all his worst draft tendencies as if he had 2013 Brady under center to paper over the lack of offensive talent instead of Jones and Zappe.

I like the idea of Belichick giving up power in theory, but I'm skeptical he can actually be a team player with a hypothetical GM and OC who were hired precisely because Belichick's instincts in those areas can't be trusted anymore.

When Belichick was strong-armed into abandoning the Patricia/Judge offensive omnishambles in 2023 and hiring BOB, he promptly undercut BOB's ability to do the job by not letting him manage his own staff and having to keep some of the old stiffs. After a string of sketchy drafts, in 2023 Belichick doubled down on all his worst draft tendencies as if he had 2013 Brady under center to paper over the lack of offensive talent instead of Jones and Zappe.

I like the idea of Belichick giving up power in theory, but I'm skeptical he can actually be a team player with a hypothetical GM and OC who were hired precisely because Belichick's instincts in those areas can't be trusted anymore.
This is sad.
But it’s pretty accurate.

Clearly he is not retiring.
Kraft needs to do what is best for the team Not what is necessarily what is best for BB.
If Bill stays, I believe he will dominate personnel decisions no matter who the GM is.
For that reason, I think Kraft needs to have balls and cut the cord quickly.

A lengthy drawn out process will hurt this team. Make a decision in next 48 hours. Let him go

How bad does it have to actually be for Kraft to go back on 20 years of words saying there's no coach he'd rather have and that Bill is the best of all time

According to Steve Ballesteri who reports for this site, a 3 year deal was agreed upon and Kraft said no.

That is one report that is contradicted by all the other reports. And I don't even know if Ballesteri is all that plugged into the team.

Belichick wanted Garoppolo to replace Brady. And reports are that Kraft sided with Brady. And some reports have Kraft pressuring Belichick to trade away Jimmy G. And then you are saying that Belichick a year later would be giving Brady a three year contract worth $35 million and Kraft was the one who kiboshed it? It doesn't make sense.

I have not seen any other reporter back up this story. In fact, most say the opposite and say Kraft is pissed at Belichick because Kraft sided with Belichick on Brady.

Kraft gave Belichick an extension at $25 million a year after last year instead of letting him go in as a lame duck coach. I seriously doubt he would balk at paying $35 million a year to Brady since he was the face of the franchise. Everything pointed to Belichick wanting to let Brady walk one year early than one year too late. His typical way he treats players.

How bad does it have to actually be for Kraft to go back on 20 years of words saying there's no coach he'd rather have and that Bill is the best of all time
4-13 and 5-6 years of disastrous personnel decisions. He WAS the GOAT but sadly not at age 71

It almost makes too much sense for them to bring back McDaniels and strip Bill of his GM duties.

I'm not sure I'm down with the McDaniel's part but it's definitely probably better than O'Brien

It almost makes too much sense for them to bring back McDaniels and strip Bill of his GM duties.

I'm not sure I'm down with the McDaniel's part but it's definitely probably better than O'Brien
Mcdaniels has huge support from Kraft, question is how much do the Pats want Jerrod and or Vrabel and are they willing to lose the Belichicks to manifest?

I’m in the camp of:

OR

RE: 2

Why? There's a reason he's got a Sirius talk show and is not running the front office of an NFL team. Let's get someone who can identify successful players in the modern NFL. Pioli is a retread and not a real fix.

More non-statements from BB.

He's "heavily invested". Okay....what does that mean? He's more than likely doing a season wrapup/moratorium on the season so, yeah, he's invested. Why wouldn't he be? Nobody ever accused him of not giving a ****. It was the petty coaching moves and culture. The lack of adaptability to the modern NFL offense. People afraid to bring problems to him because of his legend status and lack of interpersonal skills.

That is one report that is contradicted by all the other reports. And I don't even know if Ballesteri is all that plugged into the team.

Belichick wanted Garoppolo to replace Brady. And reports are that Kraft sided with Brady. And some reports have Kraft pressuring Belichick to trade away Jimmy G. And then you are saying that Belichick a year later would be giving Brady a three year contract worth $35 million and Kraft was the one who kiboshed it? It doesn't make sense.

I have not seen any other reporter back up this story. In fact, most say the opposite and say Kraft is pissed at Belichick because Kraft sided with Belichick on Brady.

Kraft gave Belichick an extension at $25 million a year after last year instead of letting him go in as a lame duck coach. I seriously doubt he would balk at paying $35 million a year to Brady since he was the face of the franchise. Everything pointed to Belichick wanting to let Brady walk one year early than one year too late. His typical way he treats players.
One key point that everyone leaves out in all this is these were a series of things that occurred over years.

Kraft was backing Bill but most of this occurred prior the 2019 season culminating in them agreeing to a no franchise tag clause just before the start of Brady's last season here. They made their poor decisions about not locking him up until 45 prior to the start of the season.

Then when the season ended I think Brady considered a lot and I'm sure Kraft and/or BB got a chance to make some sort of a pitch but Brady decided it was time to go and never really came to the negotiation table. Instead he went to Kraft's house and told him he was moving on.

Wickersham's report is the wrong one.

You think the San Francisco GM lied when he called Belichick to trade for Brady and Belichick laughed in his face?

Lynch said that Belichick wouldn't even listen to any offers for Brady. It was Garoppolo he was willing to trade. Not the reverse. Wickersham's story flies in the face of everything Lynch said on the record. Wickersham was also wrong on much of Deflategate as well.

Let's not forget a few other factors here. The Patriots offered $25m. If Brady was adamant about $35m, then why did he accept $25m (the same as the Patriots money) at Tampa? He got more years, but the yearly was the same.

And lastly, prior to the 2019 season Brady showed up on Stephen Ross's boat hoping to join the Dolphins while he was still under contract with the Patriots. He should thank Flores for having morals and ethics because if Brady joined the Phins, he would've been written off in New England the way Clemens was.

Do you honestly believe that Belichick didn't get wind of that?

If I were Flores trying to make my way as a HC in the NFL, I would absolutely make sure that Belichick (HC of my archrival) heard about it somehow.

There is no way that Belichick didn't know that Brady wanted to join the Dolphins.

They were good. They just were not excellent.

Teams knew they never had to push things against us because we could not score 20 points.
That's an even bigger advantage for the offense. When the offense has that luxury, they can mix up the run and pass more and keep the defense off balance.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back