PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Vince says he's done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classy move by BOB last night, pulling Vince just before the final play. Vince should have left his cleats on the fifty yard line. I hope the Pats at least sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Patriot.

Gonna miss the whalefork.

vince-wilfork-hit.gif

Last edited:
I thought his family still resided here and his son went to a local school, but seems I am wrong as his he graduated from a Houston Area HS and now plays for University of Houston Football.

#75 is a favorite of Mr. Kraft, BB and Matt Patricia they will do "right" by him..

6"2", 325 lbs. that is some sort of media fantasy.. try closer to 400 lbs.

I love Vince, love all that he did for us. First-ballot Pats HOFer.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut...this will probably be unpopular, but whatever...I wasn't a fan of hearing him mulling retirement even before the Raiders game. In a program where players are supposed to focus solely on building up each and every day, focus on the opponent at hand, don't look ahead to the future, it seemed a bit odd for a team leader to openly contemplate retirement right before the postseason starts.

I know lots of guys have done it. Ray Lewis made a ****ing tour out of it. But for a Patriot, I can't recall anyone else ever doing similar. Just seemed very uncharacteristic.

Still love him, but if he was in New England still, I don't think that would have happened. Even if he was looking ahead, there wouldn't be stories about it, especially right before the playoffs start.

What a stud.

I hope he and his family move back into the area and the Krafts find some sort of role for him in the organization.

Nothin but love for Big Vince. Agree with all the comments above... find him a place as a position coach (and training table consultant :) )

I think he found himself in Foxborough watching the surreal situation by the end and realizing... whatever he's got left, if you're putting it out on the field here it's going to a cause that matters... But Houston? That's for the paycheck.

Maybe I'm over-interpreting, but he might have misunderestimated [sic] the extent to which he'll always bleed silver, white, blue, and a little bit of red somewhere. Think about what he's looking at staying in Houston for a check... vs. what he lost when he didn't fit NE's plans.

Get him a job in the organization... retire him as a Patriot... and bring him back at halftime on opening day for a ceremony.

On the unsentimental side... our guys seem to be really accurate on the "sell at the top" theory of cap management.

In the early 2000s we had to all get used to not getting used to people. It was a revelation - I think the Pats were way ahead on the theory that in Cap-land, your contingencies include every damn position on the field. Part of it was baked in... had to give up Drew to keep Tom. Well if you can do it with the "face of the franchise" you can do it anywhere.

"This team hates its coach" didn't last very long :)

But it led us more than any other fanbase to have to say "In Bill We Trust" even when we're torn. YES I was torn about Vince's departure.... but I also thought "OMG how are we going to replace Big Ted Washington" back in the day (and we knew we were going to have to do that, because of his age.)

Back then, perfecting the 3-4 2-gap system gave the rest of the league conniptions... then everybody copied it and got used to it. More and more the Pats defense morphed away from that style of play... how long since we had a true "elephant" a la McGinnest, playing OLB at a size approaching a defensive end? Or is my memory faulty on this? I'm not googling this, I'm tired, and it's way off topic...

Point is, guys come and go, schemes even come and go, styles of play come and go and mix and match in the BB era. They're never going to be able to say "BB was a great coach because he realized this one characteristic of the game." He's a great coach because he realizes all characteristics of the game... and assumes he can use the personnel he has to adjust to any combination of styles of play. They seldom let him down, because he gives them the preparation to do that.

It's the opposite of Seattle's "Here's who we are, come on and try to beat us" approach. I think Sun Tzu would approve of BB's version :)

Sorry I am apparently in the mood to write historical novels this morning

Main thing, I <3 Big Vince, and it would be a travesty if he didn't retire a Patriot.

Yep, and very glad his last game was in Foxboro, even on the opposing sideline.

But it's amazing how "the whalefork" looks positively svelte in your clip compared to last night.

Agree. He might be able to play part-time for another year or two if he lost 50 lbs.

Time to start a petition:" Lets Big Vince retire as a patriot!"

Buuuuuuuuuuuut...this will probably be unpopular, but whatever...I wasn't a fan of hearing him mulling retirement even before the Raiders game. In a program where players are supposed to focus solely on building up each and every day, focus on the opponent at hand, don't look ahead to the future, it seemed a bit odd for a team leader to openly contemplate retirement right before the postseason starts.

I know lots of guys have done it. Ray Lewis made a ****ing tour out of it. But for a Patriot, I can't recall anyone else ever doing similar. Just seemed very uncharacteristic.

Still love him, but if he was in New England still, I don't think that would have happened. Even if he was looking ahead, there wouldn't be stories about it, especially right before the playoffs start.
I don't think its a big deal. It wasn't like a Jeter Ortiz thing

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I seriously doubt he sought out reporters to tell that story. And at his age-performance it is an all TOO OBVIOUS question for a bunch of media sharks seeking new themes to gnaw on. Partic in the postseason explosion of articles that occurs.

One of absolute favorite players of all time. He won't get into the HOF but he should, he was the best nose tackle in football for over a decade and being the best at your position and a dominant player for a long time is the criteria for getting in.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I seriously doubt he sought out reporters to tell that story. And at his age-performance it is an all TOO OBVIOUS question for a bunch of media sharks seeking new themes to gnaw on. Partic in the postseason explosion of articles that occurs.

"I'm totally focused on the Raiders. They are very talented and I need to focus all my attention to this game. I haven't had time to think of anything else."

Is that so hard? Really?

I want him to retire and lose a sh*tton of weight given his family history with diabetes, etc. Especially given how much heavier he looks with HOU than with NE.
For sure. Should give Alan Faneca a call, guy lost like 100lbs after he retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes