PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Mac finally comes clean

The reality is the fans don't look at it the same way because the public media witch hunt in regards to steroids has been pushed far more than amphetamines. People actually aren't aware that a lot of substances are performance enhancing and they invariably come back to "just" anabolic agents in one form or another.

It's much the same with EPO in cycling or growth hormone etc. People hear it, but they don't know what it means. Steroids.. well that's been flogged to death.

Or the reality is that Amphetamines and Steroids are two very different drugs that have very different affects on a players' performance - and that the drug that dramatically enhances physical performance is the one that fans find most offensive.

One enhances mental alertness and responsiveness, the other enhances physical power in a game where, in particular regarding the Home Run record, enhanced physical power has made a visible and dramatic difference.

Or the reality is that Amphetamines and Steroids are two very different drugs that have very different affects on a players' performance - and that the drug that dramatically enhances physical performance is the one that fans find most offensive.

One enhances mental alertness and responsiveness, the other enhances physical power in a game where, in particular regarding the Home Run record, enhanced physical power has made a visible and dramatic difference.
Are you purposely trying to be a pain in the arse?

The reality is the fans don't look at it the same way because the public media witch hunt in regards to steroids has been pushed far more than amphetamines. People actually aren't aware that a lot of substances are performance enhancing and they invariably come back to "just" anabolic agents in one form or another.

It's much the same with EPO in cycling or growth hormone etc. People hear it, but they don't know what it means. Steroids.. well that's been flogged to death.

I don't know why the fans and media were not in the hunt between the 50's and 70's. The numbers were so much more skewed as they were during the steroid era, you'd think someone would bring it up.

Are you purposely trying to be a pain in the arse?

No.

But are you purposefully trying to have a difficult time understanding the differences between Steroids and Amphetamines and the related difference in public outrage regarding each?

This thread needs an arbitrator ... ;)

JoeSixPat said:
No.

But are you purposefully trying to have a difficult time understanding the differences between Steroids and Amphetamines and the related difference in public outrage regarding each?
I think you'll find that not only did you go around in circles regarding the steroids issue ultimately arriving at the initial point I raised, but now.. just now you can't even acknowledge the lack of education in public circles regarding amphetamines compared with anabolic agents.

You're one very opinionated, very pig headed individual.

I think you'll find that not only did you go around in circles regarding the steroids issue ultimately arriving at the initial point I raised, but now.. just now you can't even acknowledge the lack of education in public circles regarding amphetamines compared with anabolic agents.

You're one very opinionated, very pig headed individual.

Your original point is that Steroids don't help players hit home runs.

I'm quite sure I haven't gone around in circles arriving back to agree with that initial point - the semantics that athletes who normally work out also need to work out to see the benefits of steroids is irrelevant.

That steroids are performance enhancing drugs that ultimately allow certain players to artificially enhance performance and in turn, hit more home runs isn't an "opinion" - it's a fact.

Whether the nature of Amphetamines affects home run totals in the same manner is a different matter, and one that WOULD be open to debate.

I'd submit that it is a fact that Amphetamines and Steroids are VERY different drugs, and affect performance in a VERY different manner, and that most fans are smart enough to recognize this - hence the different level of outrage among fans.

Those are all very reasonable, rational statements. If you want to view them as opinionated and pig headed, so be it.

Your original point is that Steroids don't help players hit home runs.

I'm quite sure I haven't gone around in circles arriving back to agree with that initial point - the semantics that athletes who normally work out also need to work out to see the benefits of steroids is irrelevant.

That steroids are performance enhancing drugs that ultimately allow certain players to artificially enhance performance and in turn, hit more home runs isn't an "opinion" - it's a fact.

Whether the nature of Amphetamines affects home run totals in the same manner is a different matter, and one that WOULD be open to debate.

I'd submit that it is a fact that Amphetamines and Steroids are VERY different drugs, and affect performance in a VERY different manner, and that most fans are smart enough to recognize this - hence the different level of outrage among fans.

Those are all very reasonable, rational statements. If you want to view them as opinionated and pig headed, so be it.
Go read the thread again from the very start because you are coming across further and further like a colossal moron.

Interesting that you yourself have exactly demonstrated the lack of knowledge the general public has when it comes to different performance enhancing substances.

Last edited:
Go read the thread again from the very start because you are coming across further and further like a colossal moron.

Well, going back to the start of the thread we have this little gem, which might better illustrate the definition of "collosal moron" and someone's knowledge about performance enhancing drugs.

Steroids don't help you hit home runs at all.

Yes, I know... you stand behind that statement... as well as your assertion that the moon landing was all a big NASA hoax. No need to rehash everything again. :D

Last edited:
Well, going back to the start of the thread we have this little gem, which might better illustrate the definition of "collosal moron" and someone's knowledge about performance enhancing drugs.

Yes, I know... you stand behind that statement... as well as your assertion that the moon landing was all a big NASA hoax. No need to rehash everything again. :D
Is that this quote JoeSixPat.. the entire quote for posterity.

Steroids don't help you hit home runs at all. They contribute to your recovery to help you train more.

People have this misconception that steroids improve your performance on use. It's far from it. They help you recover faster to train more. The devil is still in putting in the hard yards... you simply put in more on steroids
Bolded was the selective edit.

I won't even bother posting your "evolving" thought process through this thread.

Last edited:
Is that this quote JoeSixPat.. the entire quote for posterity.

Bolded was the selective edit.

I won't even bother posting your "evolving" thought process through this thread.

Yesssss :rolleyes: we've been through this...

We all understand your point that ALL of those PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES who REFUSE to exercise and work out won't see the benefit of steroids...

Hence your insistence that Steroids don't help athletes hit home runs... :rolleyes:

The fact that 99.9% of Professional Athletes who go out of their way to take steroids DO work out, and are able to work out harder and longer thanks to Steroids, and therefore can get bigger, stronger and more powerful, turning fly ball outs into home runs, doesn't seem to enter your thought process... we all recognize this by now.

You can keep telling yourself that pro athletes who take steroids really aren't bigger or stronger and that it doesn't help them hit home runs. You're just going to have a very difficult time convincing anyone but yourself about that.

Heck - I think even Mark McGwire would abandon you on that argument.

Yesssss :rolleyes: we've been through this...

We all understand your point that ALL of those PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES who REFUSE to exercise and work out won't see the benefit of steroids...

Hence your insistence that Steroids don't help athletes hit home runs... :rolleyes:

The fact that 99.9% of Professional Athletes who go out of their way to take steroids DO work out, and are able to work out harder and longer thanks to Steroids, and therefore can get bigger, stronger and more powerful, turning fly ball outs into home runs, doesn't seem to enter your thought process... we all recognize this by now.

You can keep telling yourself that pro athletes who take steroids really aren't bigger or stronger and that it doesn't help them hit home runs. You're just going to have a very difficult time convincing anyone but yourself about that.

Heck - I think even Mark McGwire would abandon you on that argument.
Groundhog day. Keep embarrassing yourself with your opinion and misrepresenting mine. It's doing wonders in dismissing any valid opinion you may have moving forward.

Maybe I'll start posting like you do and type things into google, see what comes up to try and vindicate myself with that very minimal information.

Last edited:
Groundhog day. Keep embarrassing yourself with your opinion and misrepresenting mine. It's doing wonders in dismissing any valid opinion you may have moving forward.

Maybe I'll start posting like you do and type things into google, see what comes up to try and vindicate myself with that very minimal information.

I think your argument isn't with me... it's with Mark McGwire.

There's no question that he'd be shocked to learn from you that "Steroids don't help you hit home runs at all." He might not say so publicly but everyone, including himself, know why he took Steroids.

Aside from that, the 2% of the population that wasn't aware that Steroids don't magically make someone bigger and stronger while sitting on the couch I'm sure would thank you.

We might want to also make sure they know that those who lack arms and legs who take Steroids likely won't see an increase in home run production either.

Last edited:
I think your argument isn't with me... it's with Mark McGwire.

There's no question that he'd be shocked to learn from you that "Steroids don't help you hit home runs at all." He might not say so publicly but everyone, including himself, know why he took Steroids.

Aside from that, the 2% of the population that wasn't aware that Steroids don't magically make someone bigger and stronger while sitting on the couch I'm sure would thank you.

We might want to also make sure they know that those who lack arms and legs who take Steroids likely won't see an increase in home run production either.
Regarding the bolded point, you would be brutally surprised at the amount of people that have no appreciation in the manner in which anabolic agents react in a training program, in a rehabilitation program for hospitalized muscle degeneration patients and no to minimal training.

As for Mark McGwire, to be honest I really don't care. Performance enhancing substances in elite sports has been and will continue to be an elephant in the room. The spectre is always going to be cast over those that haven't abused them by association.

Regarding the bolded point, you would be brutally surprised at the amount of people that have no appreciation in the manner in which anabolic agents react in a training program, in a rehabilitation program for hospitalized muscle degeneration patients and no to minimal training.

As for Mark McGwire, to be honest I really don't care. Performance enhancing substances in elite sports has been and will continue to be an elephant in the room. The spectre is always going to be cast over those that haven't abused them by association.

Honestly, I don't think anything could brutally surprise me now that I know there actually ARE some people out there who are naive enough to believe, or actually outsmart themselves into believing that Steroids don't help you hit home runs at all.

As for your last point, am I to take it that you NOW are finally conceding that Performance Enhancing Drugs affect performance? (Though not performance having anything to do with hitting more home runs?)

Honestly, I don't think anything could brutally surprise me now that I know there actually ARE some people out there who are naive enough to believe, or actually outsmart themselves into believing that Steroids don't help you hit home runs at all.

As for your last point, am I to take it that you NOW are finally conceding that Performance Enhancing Drugs affect performance? (Though not performance having anything to do with hitting more home runs?)
I've never said they haven't JoeSixPat.

I've never said they haven't JoeSixPat.

You mean aside from the fact that you've stated "Steroids Don't Do Anything to Help Players Hit Home Runs".... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You mean aside from the fact that you've stated "Steroids Don't Do Anything to Help Players Hit Home Runs".... :rolleyes:
Here we go with that selective quoting and non textual application once more.

Grow up you child.

Is this a last one to post wins thread. :confused2:

Here we go with that selective quoting and non textual application once more.

Grow up you child.

So do you think, perhaps, you're ready to admit that Steroids DO do SOMETHING to help players hit home runs?

Or are you going to continue to insist that they don't do anything to help players hit home runs?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back