PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 WR/PTP Thread

I'm at work but I'm a big fan. I wouldn't call us "friends" but I've been talking with his bro for a while now. I used to interview and write and met him that way. Great guys. I'll post more substance later when I'm free but this kid is a player for real. 6'5 with legit 4.4 speed. He has the respect of a ton of college players and coaches at every level I know that. I think he'll be playing on Sundays regularly.
Thx BGC. I cant wait for your prospect spreadsheet. It is the best. Thank u for sharing your insight.

Alabama Slot WR/ST standout Slade Bolden just declared for the draft.
5’11” 190 pounds although we’ll see what the combine says. Same size as Danny Amendola, a bit lighter than Edelman. Slot WR / ST guy from Alabama, who stepped up in 2020 when Waddle was out and with Mac as QB? And with this?
Don't Sleep on Slade Bolden's Ability to Deliver in Clutch Situations
And this?
BamaInsider - Five things to know about Alabama receiver Slade Bolden

Might as well put the Patriots uniform on him now.

Last edited:
5’11” 190 pounds although we’ll see what the combine says. Same size as Danny Amendola, a bit lighter than Edelman. Slot WR / ST guy from Alabama, who stepped up in 2020 when Waddle was out and with Mac as QB? And with this?
Don't Sleep on Slade Bolden's Ability to Deliver in Clutch Situations
And this?
BamaInsider - Five things to know about Alabama receiver Slade Bolden

Might as well put the Patriots uniform on him now.

jones threw to him a good bit. If he could develop into close to amendola, that would be a win.

This is a great thread to look back on and commiserate how BB once again picked the WORST WR prospect possible even though most of us are just going by draft guides, pre-draft scout reports, and youtube game footage instead of a 'professional' scouting department.

*facepalm* Prepare yourself for N'Keal Harry 2.0. Is your body ready?!

1643163199218.png

If either of the Ohio state wide receivers fall to us at 21, would the patriots use a first round pick on him?

Wilson (depending on how he runs) is a good slot guy with speed.

olave is a decent route runner who can rule the intermediate routes on the field. And he would allow us to use agular on just vertical routes.

Metchie is exactly what we need. Plays a lot of the X but is obviously plenty versatile. Wins on those intermediate routes with great timing, efficient footwork and spacial awareness. Has some twitch, toughness and juice to give you YAC. Very few noticeable mistakes if any. Again efficient in almost everything he does. Really like what he could bring here.

Yea we need a little of this ...

CB playing with heavy outside leverage. Metchie attacks that outside shoulder with a sharp jab step and just takes off.

Tweets now unavailable..

So, I'm getting tweets about the Shrine game. I'd like to hear comments about WR Josh Johnson of Tulsa and WR Kyle Phillips - UCLA.

Any thoughts, @BaconGrundleCandy or @WaterfallJumper or anyone else?

Last edited:
Thx BGC. I cant wait for your prospect spreadsheet. It is the best. Thank u for sharing your insight.
Forgot to come back to this.

He ran 4.4 in HS. At 6'5/210 that's going to turn some heads. Not a twitchy guy with true acceleration, takes him a second but he's got NFL speed. Has to improve on certain contested catch situations that's where he'll make a living next level. Rounds off some routes but shows effort and focus running routes on all 3 levels. Sneaky elusive for his size in the open field. ST abilities very comfortable in the open field. Pretty good special awareness. They used him everywhere wide, slot, motion, MOF, deep. And like I said when I ask about him people say good things about his character. I'll be rooting for him.

So, I'm getting tweets about the Shrine game. I'd like to hear comments about WR Josh Johnson of Tulsa and WR Kyle Phillips - UCLA.

johnson is a smaller receiver. Probably a slot guy. Got to see how he runs to look deeper at him.

Phillips is also a smaller slot guy.

Anyone have any intel on this guy? I will certainly be watching him senior bowl week.

Jameson and Metchie (knees and all) are still whom I'd go for, but this is guy is really intriguing to me as soon as I found out he hit 23mph at one point (in line with Jameson at 23mph and Burks 22.6mph). Supposedly ran 4.4 coming out of HS, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt, given his pretty slow 100m/200m times (although those were from his sophomore year of HS before a massive growth spurt). 5'10" 150 as a JR, then 6'2" 175 going into college and now 6'5" 208. Son of an NFL pro (Tim Watson S) who says he's got a high football IQ. The part about loyalty jumped out. Issue with Hands for scouts. Late bloomer for sure. Worried abt prior knee and hamstring injuries. Curious to see what his official 40 time will be, as tall guys usually have slow starts.

-----

Inforum

Mike McFeely
By Mike McFeely
January 07, 2022 10:46 AM

FRISCO, Texas — Atif Austin remembers standing in a Florida downpour watching a gangly receiver running good routes, catching everything in sight, sprinting like he was propelled by rockets and thinking, "I hope FBS schools don't find out about this guy."

That guy was Christian Watson, then a junior at Plant High School in Tampa. Austin was the receivers coach at North Dakota State, the program's Florida recruiter, and he'd asked Plant head coach Robert Weiner if there were any under-the-radar players worth looking at, players who could develop with a couple of years of seasoning with the Bison.

It was May and Florida high schools were going through spring practice.

"He said, 'I got a guy,'" remembers Austin, now an assistant coach at Northern Iowa. "He says, 'The kid's grown about four or five inches since school started, put on 20 pounds. He's one to keep an eye on.'"

Watson began his junior year at maybe 5-foot-10, maybe 150 pounds. When Austin saw him in practice, Watson was 6-2 and 175 pounds.

"I'm out there watching practice with some other guys. I'm watching Christian thinking, 'This is a guy I can develop. This is a guy I can work with,'" Austin said. "Then it starts raining. Just pouring. Everybody else leaves and I keep standing there watching Christian going through drills. I was so intrigued I stood in the rain thinking about the possibilities with this kid."

Watson chuckles recalling that day.

"It was raining outside, it was pouring down. It was a tough practice, but typical in Florida," he said. "We were having our practice going through drills with our offense. That day, everything was clicking for me. I was running good routes, I didn't drop a ball all day."

Austin began recruiting Watson, a scholarship offer was made, Watson and his family visited Fargo, the offer was accepted. And so began a voyage that will end with Watson, now a chiseled 6-5 and 210 pounds, getting an opportunity to play in the NFL.

First comes the Football Championship Subdivision title game Saturday, when the Bison take on Montana State. It'll be Watson's last game in an NDSU uniform and there's been no official word he'll play. Watson pulled a hamstring six weeks ago after the regular season and didn't play in the Bison's three previous playoff games.

North Dakota State wide receiver Christian Watson (1) walks into practice with teammates at the Toyota Stadium complex on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2022, in Frisco, Texas.David Samson/The Forum
Signals are that Watson will play. He warmed up in uniform before NDSU's semifinal victory against James Madison before spending the game in street clothes on the sideline. Watson practiced Thursday in Frisco.

Even if Watson doesn't play, his career at NDSU was a steady climb from prospect who needed time to develop and mature to dominant receiver and dangerous kickoff returner who's been projected by one NFL Draft analyst to be selected as high as the third or fourth round.

Jim Nagy, executive director of the Senior Bowl all-star game to which Watson has been invited, posted a high compliment on Twitter.

"Had a rival (Missouri Valley Football Conference) head coach tell us that Christian Watson is the best FCS receiver his team has played against since Randy Moss was at Marshall (then DI-AA). Pretty high praise," Nagy wrote.

Not bad for a receiver playing with a program that ran the ball 72% of the time his senior season. In four years at NDSU, Watson's averaged just 25 receptions and 520 yards receiving. This year he has 39 catches for 740 yards and seven touchdowns.

Watson had two kick returns for touchdowns in the FCS spring season, earning first-team All-America.

The potential was always there. Watson's dad Tazim Wajed (formerly known as Tim Watson), played 13 games at safety in the NFL from 1993-97. Watson's brother Tre was a linebacker at Illinois and Maryland and played in the Canadian Football League last season.

But up until NDSU began recruiting him, Watson was an under-sized and little-known high school receiver.

"It was kind of a great story. Up until that point I didn't really have any film from high school. I had a few catches, a few touchdowns. It was a very minuscule amount of snaps I had taken up until that point," Watson said. "I had gotten a lot of hype from my coaches at that point. I was playing for three years so my head coach had been able to see me grow up, see me develop and turn into the athlete I was becoming toward the end of my high school career. He was already kind of seeing the upside of my potential at that point. He had kind of been chatting me up to different schools but I hadn't really talked to too many schools before coach Austin came down."

Watson's dad bristles at suggestions Christian was "raw" when he got to NDSU. Wajed says Watson was underdeveloped when it came to size and strength, but not when it came to technique or football knowledge.

"Christian has been playing football since he was 3 years old. I literally built him from the ground up knowing the game of football," Wajed said. "He's a football player. His football IQ is off the charts. He needed to develop physically at NDSU. Jim Kramer, the strength coach, that's what he needed. Christian was still growing physically when he got to NDSU."

Watson and Bison head coach Matt Entz credit current receivers coach Noah Pauley for much of Watson's growth. Pauley was the third receivers coach Watson had at NDSU in his first three years. Austin left after the 2017 season that Watson redshirted and Jason Ray spent only 2018 at NDSU before leaving with former coach Chris Klieman for Kansas State. Pauley joined the staff in 2019 when Entz became head coach.

Watson said early in his time at NDSU he relied on teammates like Darrius Shepherd and R.J. Urzendowski more than his position coach because of that turnover.

"I definitely leaned on Shep. The guy that Shep is, he's not going to let anyone just get swept underneath the rug. He was dragging us along. Me, Phoenix (Sproles) when he got here the next year," Watson said. "Coach Pauley, now that I've been with him for a few years, the amount of effort and dedication he puts into the program and the receiver group, I think it's really shown in terms of my success and other receivers' success. ... I can't thank coach Pauley enough for what he's done to help me develop as a man, a player, a leader on this football team."

While it's true NDSU was Watson's only offer, other schools became interested during his senior season at Plant High. After he committed to the Bison the summer before his senior year, Watson told his high school coach he didn't want to talk with other colleges.

"I kind of shut things down and my coach really shut things down, too. He would tell me when a school would have some kind of interest in me and then kind of let me make the decision whether I wanted to talk with them," Watson said. "Once I was committed, I was committed."

The same could be said for his time at NDSU. In the age of FBS schools poaching top-level players from FCS, Watson could've entered the transfer portal the last couple of years and likely ended up at a bigger school. Watson's speed and size combination have value at the highest echelons of college football.

"He had no desire whatsoever to do that," Wajed said. "He stayed there. He stayed at North Dakota State. One of Christian's traits is loyalty. He was loyal to NDSU after he committed there. He remained loyal after he was there."

It's worked out. Watson graduated in December and after the title game will return to Fargo for a few days before departing for south Florida, where he will train for the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine and pro days. If there is one question about Watson, it's his hands. He will have to show NFL scouts he's overcome issues from earlier in his career.

There's a chance he could be the next big thing when it comes to FCS-to-NFL receivers. Austin made the comparison to a former Eastern Washington standout well-known to NDSU fans.

"I knew Christian needed to develop and he has. He is exactly the player I envisioned him being," Austin said. "He just needed to get in the NDSU program and develop. He could be like Cooper Kupp when he gets to the NFL, in my opinion."

Kupp is in the discussion for NFL MVP with the Los Angeles Rams this season. That's a long way from a kid who started his junior year of high school at 5-10, 150 pounds.

-------

Also from Inforum:

“He’s got that long, athletic frame,” Brugler said. “He’s got that gliding speed and those long strides, they just eat up grass. It doesn’t necessarily look like he’s like a track star out there [note: still got up to about 270 steps per minute in his 100yd TD kickoff return - on par or a pinch higher than Usain Bolt at his peak speed - 264 steps per minute - shorter guys are ~290-305spm], but because those strides are so long and he’s gliding, he’s just running by guys and the corners are not closing the gap. He can accelerate with that build-up speed and then have that pull-away gear.

“Defenders aren’t able to catch him. I think he’s very quarterback friendly. He’ll work back to the ball, he’ll climb the ladder, pull throws down, he’s got a very flexible upper half so he can adjust to those balls outside of his frame.”

Brugler said Watson doesn’t have any glaring holes in his game, but there is room for improvement in multiple areas.

“I think that we’ve seen steady improvement from him as a route runner,” said Brugler, who added Watson's slender frame could also be an area of concern in matchups against physical NFL cornerbacks. “Still a work in progress in terms of being a detailed route runner and doing all the things he needs to do to be a productive pro, but he’s on track. He’s improving and getting better with each year.

“Maybe he dropped more balls than you would like to see, but his hands aren’t a substantial problem at all, just more cleaning up some of the focus issues. There’s nothing about his game that you necessarily think is a detriment, that is going to hold him back, be something that is going to keep him from being a productive pro, but he just needs to work on a few things.

Jameson and Metchie (knees and all) are still whom I'd go for, but this is guy is really intriguing to me as soon as I found out he hit 23mph at one point (in line with Jameson at 23mph and Burks 22.6mph). Supposedly ran 4.4 coming out of HS, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt, given his pretty slow 100m/200m times (although those were from his sophomore year of HS before a massive growth spurt). 5'10" 150 as a JR, then 6'2" 175 going into college and now 6'5" 208. Son of an NFL pro (Tim Watson S) who says he's got a high football IQ. The part about loyalty jumped out. Issue with Hands for scouts. Late bloomer for sure. Worried abt prior knee and hamstring injuries. Curious to see what his official 40 time will be, as tall guys usually have slow starts.

-----

Inforum

Mike McFeely
By Mike McFeely
January 07, 2022 10:46 AM

FRISCO, Texas — Atif Austin remembers standing in a Florida downpour watching a gangly receiver running good routes, catching everything in sight, sprinting like he was propelled by rockets and thinking, "I hope FBS schools don't find out about this guy."

That guy was Christian Watson, then a junior at Plant High School in Tampa. Austin was the receivers coach at North Dakota State, the program's Florida recruiter, and he'd asked Plant head coach Robert Weiner if there were any under-the-radar players worth looking at, players who could develop with a couple of years of seasoning with the Bison.

It was May and Florida high schools were going through spring practice.

"He said, 'I got a guy,'" remembers Austin, now an assistant coach at Northern Iowa. "He says, 'The kid's grown about four or five inches since school started, put on 20 pounds. He's one to keep an eye on.'"

Watson began his junior year at maybe 5-foot-10, maybe 150 pounds. When Austin saw him in practice, Watson was 6-2 and 175 pounds.

"I'm out there watching practice with some other guys. I'm watching Christian thinking, 'This is a guy I can develop. This is a guy I can work with,'" Austin said. "Then it starts raining. Just pouring. Everybody else leaves and I keep standing there watching Christian going through drills. I was so intrigued I stood in the rain thinking about the possibilities with this kid."

Watson chuckles recalling that day.

"It was raining outside, it was pouring down. It was a tough practice, but typical in Florida," he said. "We were having our practice going through drills with our offense. That day, everything was clicking for me. I was running good routes, I didn't drop a ball all day."

Austin began recruiting Watson, a scholarship offer was made, Watson and his family visited Fargo, the offer was accepted. And so began a voyage that will end with Watson, now a chiseled 6-5 and 210 pounds, getting an opportunity to play in the NFL.

First comes the Football Championship Subdivision title game Saturday, when the Bison take on Montana State. It'll be Watson's last game in an NDSU uniform and there's been no official word he'll play. Watson pulled a hamstring six weeks ago after the regular season and didn't play in the Bison's three previous playoff games.

North Dakota State wide receiver Christian Watson (1) walks into practice with teammates at the Toyota Stadium complex on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2022, in Frisco, Texas.David Samson/The Forum
Signals are that Watson will play. He warmed up in uniform before NDSU's semifinal victory against James Madison before spending the game in street clothes on the sideline. Watson practiced Thursday in Frisco.

Even if Watson doesn't play, his career at NDSU was a steady climb from prospect who needed time to develop and mature to dominant receiver and dangerous kickoff returner who's been projected by one NFL Draft analyst to be selected as high as the third or fourth round.

Jim Nagy, executive director of the Senior Bowl all-star game to which Watson has been invited, posted a high compliment on Twitter.

"Had a rival (Missouri Valley Football Conference) head coach tell us that Christian Watson is the best FCS receiver his team has played against since Randy Moss was at Marshall (then DI-AA). Pretty high praise," Nagy wrote.

Not bad for a receiver playing with a program that ran the ball 72% of the time his senior season. In four years at NDSU, Watson's averaged just 25 receptions and 520 yards receiving. This year he has 39 catches for 740 yards and seven touchdowns.

Watson had two kick returns for touchdowns in the FCS spring season, earning first-team All-America.

The potential was always there. Watson's dad Tazim Wajed (formerly known as Tim Watson), played 13 games at safety in the NFL from 1993-97. Watson's brother Tre was a linebacker at Illinois and Maryland and played in the Canadian Football League last season.

But up until NDSU began recruiting him, Watson was an under-sized and little-known high school receiver.

"It was kind of a great story. Up until that point I didn't really have any film from high school. I had a few catches, a few touchdowns. It was a very minuscule amount of snaps I had taken up until that point," Watson said. "I had gotten a lot of hype from my coaches at that point. I was playing for three years so my head coach had been able to see me grow up, see me develop and turn into the athlete I was becoming toward the end of my high school career. He was already kind of seeing the upside of my potential at that point. He had kind of been chatting me up to different schools but I hadn't really talked to too many schools before coach Austin came down."

Watson's dad bristles at suggestions Christian was "raw" when he got to NDSU. Wajed says Watson was underdeveloped when it came to size and strength, but not when it came to technique or football knowledge.

"Christian has been playing football since he was 3 years old. I literally built him from the ground up knowing the game of football," Wajed said. "He's a football player. His football IQ is off the charts. He needed to develop physically at NDSU. Jim Kramer, the strength coach, that's what he needed. Christian was still growing physically when he got to NDSU."

Watson and Bison head coach Matt Entz credit current receivers coach Noah Pauley for much of Watson's growth. Pauley was the third receivers coach Watson had at NDSU in his first three years. Austin left after the 2017 season that Watson redshirted and Jason Ray spent only 2018 at NDSU before leaving with former coach Chris Klieman for Kansas State. Pauley joined the staff in 2019 when Entz became head coach.

Watson said early in his time at NDSU he relied on teammates like Darrius Shepherd and R.J. Urzendowski more than his position coach because of that turnover.

"I definitely leaned on Shep. The guy that Shep is, he's not going to let anyone just get swept underneath the rug. He was dragging us along. Me, Phoenix (Sproles) when he got here the next year," Watson said. "Coach Pauley, now that I've been with him for a few years, the amount of effort and dedication he puts into the program and the receiver group, I think it's really shown in terms of my success and other receivers' success. ... I can't thank coach Pauley enough for what he's done to help me develop as a man, a player, a leader on this football team."

While it's true NDSU was Watson's only offer, other schools became interested during his senior season at Plant High. After he committed to the Bison the summer before his senior year, Watson told his high school coach he didn't want to talk with other colleges.

"I kind of shut things down and my coach really shut things down, too. He would tell me when a school would have some kind of interest in me and then kind of let me make the decision whether I wanted to talk with them," Watson said. "Once I was committed, I was committed."

The same could be said for his time at NDSU. In the age of FBS schools poaching top-level players from FCS, Watson could've entered the transfer portal the last couple of years and likely ended up at a bigger school. Watson's speed and size combination have value at the highest echelons of college football.

"He had no desire whatsoever to do that," Wajed said. "He stayed there. He stayed at North Dakota State. One of Christian's traits is loyalty. He was loyal to NDSU after he committed there. He remained loyal after he was there."

It's worked out. Watson graduated in December and after the title game will return to Fargo for a few days before departing for south Florida, where he will train for the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine and pro days. If there is one question about Watson, it's his hands. He will have to show NFL scouts he's overcome issues from earlier in his career.

There's a chance he could be the next big thing when it comes to FCS-to-NFL receivers. Austin made the comparison to a former Eastern Washington standout well-known to NDSU fans.

"I knew Christian needed to develop and he has. He is exactly the player I envisioned him being," Austin said. "He just needed to get in the NDSU program and develop. He could be like Cooper Kupp when he gets to the NFL, in my opinion."

Kupp is in the discussion for NFL MVP with the Los Angeles Rams this season. That's a long way from a kid who started his junior year of high school at 5-10, 150 pounds.

-------

Also from Inforum:

“He’s got that long, athletic frame,” Brugler said. “He’s got that gliding speed and those long strides, they just eat up grass. It doesn’t necessarily look like he’s like a track star out there [note: still got up to about 270 steps per minute in his 100yd TD kickoff return - on par or a pinch higher than Usain Bolt at his peak speed - 264 steps per minute - shorter guys are ~290-305spm], but because those strides are so long and he’s gliding, he’s just running by guys and the corners are not closing the gap. He can accelerate with that build-up speed and then have that pull-away gear.

“Defenders aren’t able to catch him. I think he’s very quarterback friendly. He’ll work back to the ball, he’ll climb the ladder, pull throws down, he’s got a very flexible upper half so he can adjust to those balls outside of his frame.”

Brugler said Watson doesn’t have any glaring holes in his game, but there is room for improvement in multiple areas.

“I think that we’ve seen steady improvement from him as a route runner,” said Brugler, who added Watson's slender frame could also be an area of concern in matchups against physical NFL cornerbacks. “Still a work in progress in terms of being a detailed route runner and doing all the things he needs to do to be a productive pro, but he’s on track. He’s improving and getting better with each year.

“Maybe he dropped more balls than you would like to see, but his hands aren’t a substantial problem at all, just more cleaning up some of the focus issues. There’s nothing about his game that you necessarily think is a detriment, that is going to hold him back, be something that is going to keep him from being a productive pro, but he just needs to work on a few things.

thanks for sharing.

Watched film on a guy from hawai’i, turner I think.

very interesting gadget guy. He ran the ball and caught the ball and is a former qb.

this is the type of matchup nightmare that makes plays and could really help us on offense, after a red shirt year as a day 3 or UDFA guy.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Could really use your take on Kyle Phillips out of UCLA? I know what I posted in the binkie thread, but I want your honest take.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Could really use your take on Kyle Phillips out of UCLA? I know what I posted in the binkie thread, but I want your honest take.
I've been falling asleep so early lately and waking up in the middle of the night. I must be getting old lol. Working outside sucks lol. I love him and Covey (former badass HS QB), they would be perfect for us. I'll come back to this later bc I have to fall back asleep but I'll like both for us.

Phillips reminds me of Hunter Renfrow who reminds everyone of Jules. Both aren't quite as twitchy as 11 but they have enough and extremely shifty. Like they're in front of you, two yards away and you'll never touch them. Very annoying to guard.

Both have great spatial awareness. Both return men and have a great feel for the space around them. Great patience and confidence in the open field. That's very underrated every one wants to run 10000 mph and move as soon as they touch the ball. Both are really elusive and really good at making their surroundings work.

Phillips is really smart. All his coaches and teammates rave about his IQ and mind.

He's always moving. Always looking to get open. He'll work back to the QB if he has or things change.

Obviously very elusive. Love his jab step. He can juke and would be great running the juke route in the MOF. Already has the "whip" route down. Just very shifty. Won't run away from anyone. He'll gash you for yards but he can definitely get a little faster. Really good r/r for his size though he can really work that intermediate area even hit a deep ball once and a while.

Very good blocker for his size! Watch any of his tape and it sticks out. From LSU to Hawaii, he plays his butt off and is always aggressive.

I'd take a take a shot in the 4th.

Covey is a dude. Grew up in a BYU family and decided to go to Utah lol. Religious kid but obviously does his own thing to an extent. Nasty duel threat QB in HS. All-American returner as a freshman I believe and goes on a mission in Chile. Comes back, big knee injury. Covid. He still has a year left to play I believe. Involved with helping young women, has a foundation that helps them self-esteem and other things.

He's a late-udfa type. Tiny like 5'7/. Older prospect. Obviously had the injuries. That said I'd take a shot late (6th-7th) if things line up.

Just spent an insane amount of time watching many different WR videos to see who really has the highest top end speed as a ball carrier (slowing down video to 0.25x or 0.5x speed and making all sorts of crazy calculations using stride rate and length - included returns), and I think it's this guy (CW) in the 23's for mph - and maybe Calvin Austin III. I never thought about how carrying the ball would affect speed, but it totally makes a lot of sense. It's the reason why I just assumed Mr. wind legal 10.09 100m Anthony Schwartz from last year was going to easily get top marks as the gold standard for speed, but I looked through all his stuff as a ball carrier, and it just didn't compare. Also looked at THill and Mostert (official >23mph) stuff for calibration.

Personally, as someone who wants some darn speed on this team (our fastest ball carrier in the last 6 years was Mccourty at 22.05mph), I really hope we get this guy in the mid rounds (assuming he doesn't blow up after Senior Bowl or combine) after we start off with defense - with how almost non-existent the passing game was at NDSU, he never really got to shine. I honestly think this guy could be Randy Moss lite or even more with some coaching. Yes, I understand speed is just one of many many factors, and given the success of Kupp and Welker, sometimes it can be of fairly low importance (depending on one's definition of speed).

Random aside (different type of comparison), noticed that THill would catch something ~45yds from the line of scrimmage ~5.5s after the snap, and CWatson would consistently be around that time for that distance, despite both having to make some move at the start.

P.S. - I don't think Ruggs hit 24.3mph against South Carolina as measured by the Alabama catapult GPS system. No way not close to possible with observable cadence and stride length.

There is talk during the practices that teams currently rank the WR like this
1. Wilson or Williams depending on injury
2. Burks, some fear he turn into Harry
They also fear olave might not have the huge upsidr and London could struggle to get separation

Source PFN

Question is who are the sources from teams but I can imagine this is true as it reflects what recent drafts and rankings by experts show
Wilson and Williams look like the most upside guy and the only WR I would draft in the first round

Patriots met with RDoubs and CWatson at the Senior Bowl (BGlobe). Not sure how I feel about that. Makes me think it's not gonna happen. M'rF'r is already blowing up, and we just got started. Wasn't expecting to talk about him again until the combine, so sorry for spamming y'all. Sigh.

In the Globe article: Steelers fan. Says the main guy he followed was Mac Jones while at Alabama. Shooting for a 4.3 40.

Edit: This dude can block - makes sense given NDSU has pretty much a 50-15 run to pass ratio. F'ing get rid of our current #1 (Harry), and get this guy.

Edit2: Unless he has a crappy Combine, this guy is not making it past the 2nd round.

Edit3: Read that he worked the JUGS machine religiously especially before his senior year as that was a weakness in his game. [Can't help turning back into a 13 year old just reading that back.]

Edit4: This guy might have a chance of being better than N'Keal with the blocking and maybe other stuff:

Edit5: CWatson drew a lot of attention from the D during the Senior Bowl freeing up others for 2TDs. On the 3rd, blocked 2 guys at the same time to get Ferguson all the way in:

Last edited:
Just spent an insane amount of time watching many different WR videos to see who really has the highest top end speed as a ball carrier (slowing down video to 0.25x or 0.5x speed and making all sorts of crazy calculations using stride rate and length - included returns), and I think it's this guy (CW) in the 23's for mph - and maybe Calvin Austin III. I never thought about how carrying the ball would affect speed, but it totally makes a lot of sense. It's the reason why I just assumed Mr. wind legal 10.09 100m Anthony Schwartz from last year was going to easily get top marks as the gold standard for speed, but I looked through all his stuff as a ball carrier, and it just didn't compare. Also looked at THill and Mostert (official >23mph) stuff for calibration.
Austin ran a 4.3 in HS fwiw but he's so tiny. The league just isn't for those types and I have to keep reminding myself that.

Personally, as someone who wants some darn speed on this team (our fastest ball carrier in the last 6 years was Mccourty at 22.05mph), I really hope we get this guy in the mid rounds (assuming he doesn't blow up after Senior Bowl or combine) after we start off with defense - with how almost non-existent the passing game was at NDSU, he never really got to shine. I honestly think this guy could be Randy Moss lite or even more with some coaching. Yes, I understand speed is just one of many many factors, and given the success of Kupp and Welker, sometimes it can be of fairly low importance (depending on one's definition of speed).
Jimmy let's not go crazy my friend. I like both and personally rooting for Watson bc of his brother but any comps to Moss (even though I've done it :) will not be tolerated here :)
Random aside (different type of comparison), noticed that THill would catch something ~45yds from the line of scrimmage ~5.5s after the snap, and CWatson would consistently be around that time for that distance, despite both having to make some move at the start.

P.S. - I don't think Ruggs hit 24.3mph against South Carolina as measured by the Alabama catapult GPS system. No way not close to possible with observable cadence and stride length.
GPS tracking will soon take over for 40 times. Which are pretty outdated by today's standards. Kupp has some silly play speed I believe. I think I remember him up there a few years. Much for freedom, space in-game and much more realistic. I know most teams value that > 40 X 10.

Austin ran a 4.3 in HS fwiw but he's so tiny. The league just isn't for those types and I have to keep reminding myself that.

Yeah - I'm basically his size, and no way I'd want someone my size on the Pats. I'll root for him as a little guy (like Brandon Banks when he was on the Skins), but not on the Pats.

Jimmy let's not go crazy my friend. I like both and personally rooting for Watson bc of his brother but any comps to Moss (even though I've done it :) will not be tolerated here :)

:rofl: Based on your profile pic, I was afraid I might've gone to far - that's why I added the "Lite." Sorry, dude. Just got too crazy.

GPS tracking will soon take over for 40 times. Which are pretty outdated by today's standards. Kupp has some silly play speed I believe. I think I remember him up there a few years. Much for freedom, space in-game and much more realistic. I know most teams value that > 40 X 10.
Random thing I ran into about Kupp from Oct 2019. Makes me feel better about Jameson or Metchie. I remember Welker didn't really miss a beat (although he had Moss and Gronk - Gronk's rookie year which was Welker's 1st year post surgery was the "off" year).

"Cooper Kupp tore his ACL last season and is faster since his recovery.
Kupp studied video of his form to eliminate the imperfections in his stride. Kupp is now between 1.5 miles per hour and two miles per hour faster than he was before his injury.
“It’s a little crazy,” said Dr. Neal ElAttrache, who performed the ACL reconstruction. “We’ve never had this GPS data until the last few years, but I can tell you that’s typically not the way it goes the first year back. He’s surprising everybody.”"

Yeah I'm seeing a lot more speed readings even just from these Senior Bowl practices. Your post inspired me look up how NextGenStats actually measures these things (Zebra Tech). I guess Zebra's also what's used during the Senior Bowl and the practices. I'm gonna take any other tech used (like Alabama Catapult or even what NDSU used) with a grain of salt.

"The tracking system captures player data such as location, speed, distance traveled and acceleration at a rate of 10 times per second, and charts individual movements within inches. "

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back