PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 IDL/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
IDL/PTP thread

Like last year, it's not the strongest class but a few nice prizes up top. And like last year I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move to get a top prospect rather wait on a weaker classes depth.

Davis is definitely one of those prizes in this years class. Being big doesn't equate to stopping the run or being an impact player in today's game. You need motor, aggressiveness and lateral movement skills. Davis might not ever be an impact pass rusher but he's all of the above and can disrupt a line for sure.

Just an unbelievably big boy at 6'6 340 but he's an athlete at that size. Carries it well. He really took his game to another level this year in terms of flash plays. The motor and aggression you want to see consistently from a guy that size. Look he'll probably always be on a snap count if you're smart but that's cool with me if I can get 40-50 Terminator reps a game. Agile big boy, light, nimple feet. Can be used on stunts inside. He'll never stop on a dime but he can change direction and move east / west. Love the motor. He'll show up down field angry making plays.

Inconsistent first step but it's to be expected at his size. He can jump a snap. Inconsistent but decent get off for his size.

Makes use of what length he has. I'll be interested to see this. I usually look for still photos and try to see how far past the hip someone's hand is. He utilizes what he has well. He's a bench pressing machine and reps out fast. He'll continue to punch, push a OL'm out of the way. Power paws. Bill loves guys that can shock you with their hands (Spikes, Barmore, HT) and Davis has strong hands. Good punch placement and extension. He'll work for better position as the rep moves goes on.

Tries to knock down passes and is aware of the play, eyes are up looking at the QB.

The intriguing thing about him and Barmore is that you could never double Barmore. Even on 3rd dkwn. He might not be your typical 3rd down player but his power, motor and hands are problem every down and it's really impossible not to devout max attention towards him. Just to mix it up I'm definitely not restricting him. 2 gap eater very rarely moved backwards. Knows to attack doubles. Resets the line even if he can't get to the QB.

Loved in the locker room by coaches and players. Has the respect in both his and visiting locker rooms. Other coaches understand his impact on that defense and what he's done for guys like Dean, Cine, Tindall. Smart talks him up and he should. He really allows you to get away with certain things if you have the athletes they do.

He thrive and survive in a multiple front of odd/even. He is who he is but has played 3T in Smart's system and Bill doesn't exactly ask his to rush the passer at times either. You can move him around a bit. Especially with guys like Barmore and Judon next to him. That could be a scary group.

Like his push / pull and would like to see him use it and develop it more. He needs one more go-to and a good counter imo. Again this will never be a strong point but has a little potential. Again strong active hands can disengage and get off blocks.

Seems like a smart player that is not only ready for but expecting half of what he sees. Power misdirection, he's ready.

There's a few other big boys we could grab and some disruptive 3T & others I'll talk about here. Let me know your favorites and who you like. There's plenty of athleticism in this group that most would probably include Leal in as well.

Should have a PTP list/board up in a few weeks fwiw.

Tier 1
Jordan Davis - 6'6/340 - Georgia

Perrion Winfrey - 6'3/300 - Oklahoma

Travis Jones - 6'4/335 - UCONN

Phidarian Mathis - 6'4/315 - Alabama

Devonte Wyatt - 6'3/315 - Georgia

Chris Hinton - 6'4/305 - Michigan

D.J. Davidson - 6'4/325 - ASU

Matthew Butler - 6'4/300 Tennessee

Neil Farrell - 6'4/320 - LSU

Thomas Booker - 6'4/310 - Stanford

Jayden Peevey - 6'6/300 - TAMU

Haskell Garrett - 6'2/300 - OSU

Tier 2
John Ridgeway - 6'6/320 - Arkansas

Nathan Pickering - 6'4/310 - Mississippi St

Dashaun Mallory - 6'2/345 - Michigan St

Eyioma Uwazurike - 6'6/310 - Iowa St

DJ Dale - 6'3/310 - Alabama

Marquan McCall - 6'3/380 - Kentucky

Tier 3
Scott Matlock - 6'4/300 - Boise St

Jaxon Player - 6'/300 - Tulsa

Dion Novil - 6'4/330 - North Texas

Taron Vincent - 6'2/300 - OSU

Trevon Mason - 6'5/310 - Arizona

Keir Thomas - 6'2/275 - FSU

T'Vondre Sweat - 6'4/350 - Texas

Tier 4
Jowon Briggs - 6'1/310 - Cincinnati

Jayson Ademilola - 6'3/280 - Notre Dame

Lamonte McDougle - 6'/290 - UTSA

Dom Peterson - 6'/300 - Nevada

Ben Stille - 6'5/300 - Nebraska

Ralph Holley - 6'2/285 - Western Michigan

Kevin Atkins - 6'3/320 - Fresno St

Tyarise Stevenson - 6'3/350 - Tulsa

P.J. Mustipher - 6’4/325 - PSU

Aaron Faumui - 6'1/285 - Virginia

Devonnsha Maxwell - 6'2/300 - Chattanooga

Mustafa Johnson - 6'2/290 - Colorado

Jordan Williams - 6'4/310 - Va Tech

Jaylon Haynes - 6'2/290 - UTSA

Damarcus Elliott - 6'3/330 - Indiana

Nico Ezidore - 6'2/290 - Texas St

CJ Brewer - 6'2/290 - Coastal Carolina

Will Choloh - 6'/290 - Troy

Ifeanyi Maijeh - 6'2/285 - Rutgers

Kenny Turnier - 6'4/285 - TCU

Last edited:
Keondre Cobern of Texas could be the run stuffer we need.
He needs help with technique, but we could pick him up on day 3 and after a red shirt year, have a run stuffing monster!

Was shopping at the dollar tree yesterday and found an interesting nose tackle in the bargain bin.

frank Clark of the Green Bay packers has a little brother playing for Alabama state as a nose tackle. The younger Clark looks to be about 6 foot 1 and about 370 pounds. He plays the run really well and can handle double teams.

could be an interesting undrafted free agent signing.

Would the Pats add 2 D-linemen from Georgia?

It's way early, but it looks like we will be picking in the late 20's. It's possible that a guy like Davis MIGHT still be there. I'm smitten and have my first binky of the coming draft. I know everyone will be screaming for a WR, but EVERY year the pass happy college game produces 15-20 NFL caliber WR's Yet there might be just 1 or 2 guys that can do what Davis seems to do. Hopefully teams will go for the easy WR's, QB's and college sack masters and forget about the fat guy in the middle. If he's there when we draft, he HAS to be the guy.

It's way early, but it looks like we will be picking in the late 20's. It's possible that a guy like Davis MIGHT still be there. I'm smitten and have my first binky of the coming draft. I know everyone will be screaming for a WR, but EVERY year the pass happy college game produces 15-20 NFL caliber WR's Yet there might be just 1 or 2 guys that can do what Davis seems to do. Hopefully teams will go for the easy WR's, QB's and college sack masters and forget about the fat guy in the middle. If he's there when we draft, he HAS to be the guy.
Hate mocking THIS early, but boy do I like picking in the 20's way more

I like Davis as well and would be happy to land him here. He is the type of guy we could really need for early downs. But with so much first round buzz i don't know about the value there. I haven't watched Georgia closely this season, so i can't really say how his Pass rush developed but if not then i think we should look at some other prospects in first rd. depending on the avalaible players. There are quite a few O-Linemen, CB and WR we could really need. Getting a playmaker here for MJ10 or our DB group would be great imo.
@BaconGrundleCandy how do you view Davis as a three down linemen and his first rd. value? I know it's a bit too early, just asking

I like Davis as well and would be happy to land him here. He is the type of guy we could really need for early downs. But with so much first round buzz i don't know about the value there. I haven't watched Georgia closely this season, so i can't really say how his Pass rush developed but if not then i think we should look at some other prospects in first rd. depending on the avalaible players. There are quite a few O-Linemen, CB and WR we could really need. Getting a playmaker here for MJ10 or our DB group would be great imo.
@BaconGrundleCandy how do you view Davis as a three down linemen and his first rd. value? I know it's a bit too early, just asking
I was really high on Davis and keyed on him Saturday. I was really disappointed. He looks like strictly a 2 down player and even then seemed to get winded and forced to come out during long drives. He is certainly no Vince Wilfork
Weight is a constant issue with him as well. Showed up on campus (according to the announcers) at 370 lbs. was told he had to get below 350 but it looks like they gave up on that and play him anyway
That being said, If Pats are picking very late in round 1 I would be fine with him as a first round pick and from what I saw I think he will be there. Not many teams are in the market for the type of 2 down run stopper player he is
Am I wrong with this assessment? Is he something more?

I was really high on Davis and keyed on him Saturday. I was really disappointed. He looks like strictly a 2 down player and even then seemed to get winded and forced to come out during long drives. He is certainly no Vince Wilfork
Weight is a constant issue with him as well. Showed up on campus (according to the announcers) at 370 lbs. was told he had to get below 350 but it looks like they gave up on that and play him anyway
That being said, If Pats are picking very late in round 1 I would be fine with him as a first round pick and from what I saw I think he will be there. Not many teams are in the market for the type of 2 down run stopper player he is
I did not look out for hin specifically. If we look at some recent first rd picks for DT such as Lawrence/Wilkins, i think Teams would like to use their picks else where. Of course there are different circumstances like that could lead to an underexpected performance but i would not draft a two down tun stuffer in the First round. This should be more for skill Players or playmakers with three down value. BB could pick up another run stopper later on or via FA,they are not that expensive in comparison to starters at other positions.

I did not look out for hin specifically. If we look at some recent first rd picks for DT such as Lawrence/Wilkins, i think Teams would like to use their picks else where. Of course there are different circumstances like that could lead to an underexpected performance but i would not draft a two down tun stuffer in the First round. This should be more for skill Players or playmakers with three down value. BB could pick up another run stopper later on or via FA,they are not that expensive in comparison to starters at other positions.
Even tho I said I would be ok with drafting him very late in round 1, I agree with this and don’t think it makes sense to draft a two down player in round one. If that is what he is.
I have a hard time seeing any team drafting him that type player in round one, and the play may very well be trading back to the second round, or trading up into early second round ala Barmore. That has worked out kinda ok!

Davis is large human being, i wouldn't want to pay his grocery bill, but i'd be happy if the pats did. The guys a monster

I like Davis as a run stuffer but I see what you mean that he is probably only a 2 down player especially at his weight. If we pick late I’m fine with the pick if a cb, or a worthwhile lb( devin Lloyd played himself well out of our range this past weekend), or a tackle isn’t available. I don’t know when vita veas contract expires with Tampa but I think he’s worth the contract because he’s a complete stud.

His athleticism isn't elite, which certainly limits his upside, and his motor is extremely inconsistent. I really like what I saw from his linemate Devonte Wyatt. That kid has elite athleticism and motor, but he really lacks ideal length.

With that said, it's just one game against an elite offensive line and an offensive scheme that really neutralizes players like Davis. He has traits you just can't teach and I do think cutting 20-25 lbs could really help.

I recorded the Georgia v Alabama game and hope to watch this tomorrow am. There should be a few players worth watching from a draft perspective.

Tayland Humphrey, from Louisiana, absolutely belongs on the list of IDL. Tier 2 IMO. He's a boss inside. Can't run on him.
I'm starting my final edit before 2022. Finishing about S now.

Did I read correctly that Jordan Davis is 26 years old already, and will be 27 by the time of the draft? Is this true? I don’t see his DOB listed anywhere, but a bunch of questionable websites say Fox Sports says he was born March 1995. An mid-career NFL aged guy going up against 21 year olds is a huge red flag from a 1st rounder perspective, which is why I’m questioning it.

Did I read correctly that Jordan Davis is 26 years old already, and will be 27 by the time of the draft? Is this true? I don’t see his DOB listed anywhere, but a bunch of questionable websites say Fox Sports says he was born March 1995. An mid-career NFL aged guy going up against 21 year olds is a huge red flag from a 1st rounder perspective, which is why I’m questioning it.
It's not true he's 21 I believe. I know you do but you can always trust Bacon.

It's not true he's 21 I believe. I know you do but you can always trust Bacon.
Thanks - definitely didn’t pass the smell test, and those sites looked sketchy! But you saw the post in the main thread that sent me on that google search. Phew!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back