PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 IDL/PTP Thread

As a fan of the Magilla Gorilla cartoons (and its sponsor Ideal Toys - Mouse Trap, Crazy Clock, Fish Bait etc), I LOVE this nickname! If he keeps up his progress, #85 might be too late for him (I had originally hoped for his availability at #123)...

Yes, I first saw Ridgeway in one of your posts, but he was always on @BaconGrundleCandy 's list too. BGC pointed out that Ridgeway is not consistent in his first step which is confirmed by his Magilla Gorilla moniker. I now see that Ridgeway is a third or fourth round pick like you note, because he needs a bit of polish. @patsfanfromoversea was early at beating the drum for Travis Jones and I was not convinced at first, but after the Senior Bowl, I guess PFFO was proven right. Jones has the strength to take on the double teams, but also rushes with a purpose. I still love the Gorilla approach (I love watching Robert Williams III Celtics highlights too - all blocks and dunks :)), but if we are going to play a 3 - 4, Jones is probably better as he will understand and play the position, not just crush people.

I think we need 2 DL, an outside WR, a slot guy who does not have to play immediately, and a CB or two. With only 4 picks in the first 4 rounds, we might want to trade down and pick up a 5th pick in R1 - 4. I was hoping to get an extra pick if Mayo was hired, but that does not look like it will happen this year. We are close, we need a few FAs, and a good draft, and we might be back in serious contention. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I first saw Ridgeway in one of your posts, but he was always on @BaconGrundleCandy 's list too. BGC pointed out that Ridgeway is not consistent in his first step which is confirmed by his Magilla Gorilla moniker. I now see that Ridgeway is a third or fourth round pick like you note, because he needs a bit of polish. @patsfanfromoversea was early at beating the drum for Travis Jones and I was not convinced at first, but after the Senior Bowl, I guess PFFO was proven right. Jones has the strength to take on the double teams, but also rushes with a purpose. I still love the Gorilla approach (I love watching Robert Williams III Celtics highlights too - all blocks and dunks :)), but if we are going to play a 3 - 4, Jones is probably better as he will understand and play the position, not just crush people.

I think we need 2 DL, an outside WR, a slot guy who does not have to play immediately, and a CB or two. With only 4 picks in the first 4 rounds, we might want to trade down and pick up a 5th pick in R1 - 4. I was hoping to get an extra pick if Mayo was hired, but that does not look like it will happen this year. We are close, we need a few FAs, and a good draft, and we might be back in serious contention. Fingers crossed.
Perrion winfrey was a beast as well brother:)

I think it’s a good year to draft a solid contributor at DT in the second rd which is (Jones Winfrey) and an edge rusher mid to late first which looks like a great scenario to me

Just for example Travon walker in the first for the 5T and Jones or Winfrey and our D Line got some help. I am ok with a Winfrey pick similar to barmore maybe with a trade up if we keep playing 3 Linemen bc we need better depth and overall better players for this. If we trade down in the first I would even consider trading up and double dip o DT with Winftey and Jones bc we need help at both Techniques

Perrion winfrey was a beast as well brother:)

I think it’s a good year to draft a solid contributor at DT in the second rd which is (Jones Winfrey) and an edge rusher mid to late first which looks like a great scenario to me

Just for example Travon walker in the first for the 5T and Jones or Winfrey and our D Line got some help. I am ok with a Winfrey pick similar to barmore maybe with a trade up if we keep playing 3 Linemen bc we need better depth and overall better players for this. If we trade down in the first I would even consider trading up and double dip o DT with Winftey and Jones bc we need help at both Techniques

I agree on Winfrey and raise you Wyatt at GA. But Winfrey and Wyatt might be gone by 21. If we go WR with Metchie in the 2nd, that means one DL in the 1st and then again in the 3rd or 4th, but I would guess CB in 3rd, and the 2nd DL in 4th. So if given the choice of Wyatt or Winfrey or T Jones, who do you pick? I guess maybe we can trade down and still get Jones? I would like DL in the 1st and 2nd, but we do need a WR and CB, so maybe 1st and 4th is more realistic.

I agree on Winfrey and raise you Wyatt at GA. But Winfrey and Wyatt might be gone by 21. If we go WR with Metchie in the 2nd, that means one DL in the 1st and then again in the 3rd or 4th, but I would guess CB in 3rd, and the 2nd DL in 4th. So if given the choice of Wyatt or Winfrey or T Jones, who do you pick? I guess maybe we can trade down and still get Jones? I would like DL in the 1st and 2nd, but we do need a WR and CB, so maybe 1st and 4th is more realistic.

I would trade #21 to either Detroit or Jax for #65, 66 or 70...With 4 picks in the top 100 I would first target a CB like Kyler Gordon; then with the first 2nd-rounder it's WR & Mac binky John Metchie; with the second it's a DT like Travis Jones; and with our final pick of day 2 I'm taking the best DE available.

(With my first pick of day 3 I'm taking the best LT available.)

I would trade #21 to either Detroit or Jax for #65, 66 or 70...With 4 picks in the top 100 I would first target a CB like Kyler Gordon; then with the first 2nd-rounder it's WR & Mac binky John Metchie; with the second it's a DT like Travis Jones; and with our final pick of day 2 I'm taking the best DE available.

If that fell in place it would be great but I doubt Jones is around at 65 or 66 - with that plan I think we miss out on the top DTs. Ridgeway might be there at 65 or 66 but I think he is a bit of a project. We have been without a decent DT for years. I think we need a bookend across from Barmore but maybe we can get that next year and pick up a Hicks and Flowers in FA this year. Guy, Davis, and Wise should all go and we need to replace them somehow so that is 2 FA guys and 1 or 2 rookies. We do need the CB or WR too no doubt, so that makes this draft fun. I need to look at the CBs.

Probably will stay put at 21 and draft a TE.

It was reported that metchie tear was clean and that his recovery is going well.

If that fell in place it would be great but I doubt Jones is around at 65 or 66 - with that plan I think we miss out on the top DTs. Ridgeway might be there at 65 or 66 but I think he is a bit of a project. We have been without a decent DT for years. I think we need a bookend across from Barmore but maybe we can get that next year and pick up a Hicks and Flowers in FA this year. Guy, Davis, and Wise should all go and we need to replace them somehow so that is 2 FA guys and 1 or 2 rookies. We do need the CB or WR too no doubt, so that makes this draft fun. I need to look at the CBs.

Probably will stay put at 21 and draft a TE.

I'm still trading back... But if one of the UGA DTs is still available at 32-34 then I'll take one there, then wait for a CB at 65-70 where Coby Bryant, Mario Goodrich & Derion Kendrick among others might still be available... That'll work for me too.

I'm still trading back... But if one of the UGA DTs is still available at 32-34 then I'll take one there, then wait for a CB at 65-70 where Coby Bryant, Mario Goodrich & Derion Kendrick among others might still be available... That'll work for me too.

We will see what happens. The tough part is that one of the top guys (DL or CB) might fall to 21, and then do you still trade down?

We were very lucky to get Barmore in the 2nd round last year. Glad we traded up. We need to fill holes, but if a difference maker at a position of need is available at 21, I think we need to take him.

I wouldn’t draft Winfrey Jones or wyatt at 21. I guess they are available end of the first / early second so a trade down would be my choice if BB wants to go that direction first
My pick would be either Wyatt or Jones if we can’t get a NT in FA and Winfrey if we sign someone like Fatukasi or Williams then I would go with Wyatt or winftey as 3/4i T

I wouldn’t draft Winfrey Jones or wyatt at 21. I guess they are available end of the first / early second so a trade down would be my choice if BB wants to go that direction first
My pick would be either Wyatt or Jones if we can’t get a NT in FA and Winfrey if we sign someone like Fatukasi or Williams then I would go with Wyatt or winftey as 3/4i T

OK. I looked at a couple of mock drafts and they agree with you on Winfrey, Jones, or Wyatt not in the mid 1st round.

I'm super interested in Travis Jones if we can land him somewhere in the 2nd to 3rd round area. He was straight up manhandling people at the Senior Bowl.

That's the kind of nasty physicality that our interior D sorely needs!

I'm super interested in Travis Jones if we can land him somewhere in the 2nd to 3rd round area. He was straight up manhandling people at the Senior Bowl.

That's the kind of nasty physicality that our interior D sorely needs!

If we can’t land Davis in the first round, he’d be the next DT I’d look for. This defense needs someone who can line up at the 0 and be an anchor. We don’t need an undersized one-gapping 3-tech.

If we can’t land Davis in the first round, he’d be the next DT I’d look for. This defense needs someone who can line up at the 0 and be an anchor. We don’t need an undersized one-gapping 3-tech.

Who are you referring to regarding the "undersized, one-gapping 3-tech"?

Looking at our defensive line right now, we have barmore a natural 5 technique. Guy and godchaux are trying to act like the zero technique. Guy is old and cooked. Godchaux plays too high and on skates. Then we have wise playing some version of a cross between a 5 technique and a 3 technique and sucking at both.

We need a real zero technique, but more than likely davis will be off the board by 21. However we could grab a guy like McCall of Kentucky on day 3
of the draft and get a two down run stuffer to rotate with guy and godchaux.

That means we need to turn our attention to a 5 technique that can rush the passer. And fortunately for us, there are two that could really help us. Leal of Texas a&m and hall of Houston. I think one of these two falls to us in the second round.

Looking at our defensive line right now, we have barmore a natural 5 technique. Guy and godchaux are trying to act like the zero technique. Guy is old and cooked. Godchaux plays too high and on skates. Then we have wise playing some version of a cross between a 5 technique and a 3 technique and sucking at both.

We need a real zero technique, but more than likely davis will be off the board by 21. However we could grab a guy like McCall of Kentucky on day 3
of the draft and get a two down run stuffer to rotate with guy and godchaux.

That means we need to turn our attention to a 5 technique that can rush the passer. And fortunately for us, there are two that could really help us. Leal of Texas a&m and hall of Houston. I think one of these two falls to us in the second round.

Trade down for multiple extra picks, including another Day 2 pick... Take Travis Jones with our 2nd-rounder, then somebody like Iowa State's Eyioma Uwazurike on Day 3...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back