PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 QB/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'll use this thread to discuss & breakdown the upcoming 2021 QB class. And what a class we could potentially have. Honestly there's no way around it, this could be one of the better classes we've had over the last 10-20 years.
The athleticism the position has taken on is incredible. I really excited to see the game transform over the next 10 year's. It's been here, we've been inching towards there with the current group and the next few classes will really be fun to watch. Lawrence to Lance. Fields to Ridder. These guys have crazy arm talent that can launch it 50+ and can rip off 40 yard chunks with their legs. Then you have guys like Morgan & Purdy. Who are more cerebral assassins with + placement & accuracy.
Have you checked out Buechele yet? What about Ridder or Trask? How about Kenny Pickett or Zach Wilson?

Again it looks like it could be a great class. And we know someone will burst out we didn't expect. Like the rest of the threads these aren't set in stone rankings. Just trying to get prospects as close to where they'll be going next year. These are just the guys I have a good handle on so far. I'll add to the names as here and there.

So the tiers are a lil different bc QB's are different and that important.
Basically you have guys that ...
1)win the game for you/make others better (Prime-Semi Prime Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Prime Rodgers, etc)

2)Can win with/occasionally step up

3))Doesn't hurt you, doesn't help you

4)Hurts you

I think there's 6-8 prospects with either big franchise QB or small franchise QB traits. Guys that fall between 1-3. Again really pumped about this class. I'm pulling for Stid as much as anyone. Honestly it would be great if he's legit but if not we'll have no problem in terms of options over the next 2 year's.

How I've graded QB's over the years ...
DRAFT GRADES - HISTORY 2011-PRESENT.xlsx

QB
Tier 1

Trevor Lawrence
- Clemson - 6'6/220

Tier 2A
Justin Fields
- OSU - 6'2/220

Trey Lance - NDSU - 6'4/225

Micale Cunningham - Louisville - 6'1/195

Matt Corral - One Miss - 6'1/210

Zach Wilson - BYU - 6'2/210

Mac Jones - Alabama - 6'2/205

Kyle Trask - Florida - 6'4/235

Kenny Pickett - Pittsburgh - 6'2/225

Sam Ehlinger - Texas - 6'2/235

Kellen Mond - Texas A&M - 6'2/215

Brock Purdy - Iowa St - 6/205

Desmond Ridder - Cincinnati - 6'3/215

K.J. Costello - Miss St - 6'4/215

Michael Penix - Indiana - 6'3/215

D'Eriq King - Miami - 5'9/190

Shane Buechele - SMU - 6'1/210

Jack Coan - Wisconsin - 6'2/220

Sean Clifford - PSU - 6'1/210

Jamie Newman - Georgia - 6'3/220

Tier 2B
Anthony Russo
- Temple - 6'3/235

Chase Garners - California - 6'2/205

Tanner Morgan - Minnesota - 6'2/215

Charlie Brewer - Baylor - 6'1/210

Hendon Hooker - Virginia Tech - 6'4/230

Brady White - Memphis - 6'2/215

Brandon Peters - Illinois -

Tier 3
Jarrett Guarantano
- Tennessee - 6'3/215

Chase Brice - Duke - 6'1/215

Dustin Crum - Kent St -

Dorian Thompson-Robinson - UCLA - 6'1/205

Myles Brennan - LSU -

Jarret Doege - West Virginia - 6'2/200

Drew Plitt - Ball St - 6'2/215

Collin Hill - South Carolina - 6'5/215

Jack Abraham - Southern Miss - 6'/205

Tier 4
Ian Book - ND - 6/215

Chris Robison - FAU - 6'1/200

Armani Rogers - UNLV - 6'5/225

Zac Thomas - App St - 6/200

Hunter Johnson - Northwestern - 6'1/210

Peyton Ramsey - Northwestern - 6'2/215

Sam Hartman - Wake Forest - 6'1/200

Jake Bentley - Utah - 6'4/220

Feleipe Franks - Arkansas - 6'5/225

Holton Ahlers - ECU - 6'3/235

JT Daniels - USC - 6'3/210 (Transfer Portal)

Austin Kendall - West Virginia - 6'2/220

Davis Mills - Stanford

Anthony Brown - Oregon - 6'1/220

Adrian Martinez - Nebraska - 6'2/225

Tommy Devito - Syracuse -

Last edited:
Trey Lance's stock shooting up right after this year's draft. Some have Lance as the second best QB in this class after Lawrence instead of Justin Fields due to a superior arm.

Trey Lance's film is unbelievable. Quicker than he looks, quick release, has an absolute cannon of an arm.

Trevor Lawrence is just on a different level. Cannot wait to see what he does this season.

I honestly think Trevor Lawrence is in tier S/tier 0 by himself. A hall of famer barring injury.

Then Fields, Lance, and Purdy in tier A

Could be 6 (Newman, Purdy & Trask) 1st round QB's taken and about 7 teams could be in the hunt for one early in the draft. Morgan could sneak into the 1st as well.

Patriots should be able to get a good, not great, prospect with upside.

@BaconGrundleCandy > Zach Wilson is listed as a WR on the USC roster.

Trey Lance's stock shooting up right after this year's draft. Some have Lance as the second best QB in this class after Lawrence instead of Justin Fields due to a superior arm.
Its (his stock) been up since last year to be fair. Everyone else is just catching up.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2020-05-10-14-59-00.png Screenshot_2020-05-10-14-59-46.png
Could be 6 (Newman, Purdy & Trask) 1st round QB's taken and about 7 teams could be in the hunt for one early in the draft. Morgan could sneak into the 1st as well.

Patriots should be able to get a good, not great, prospect with upside.

@BaconGrundleCandy > Zach Wilson is listed as a WR on the USC roster.
Different players.

C'mon @borisman trust Bacon. Not the same guy. I didn't become a draft expert by confusing prospects :evil::D:)

Last edited:
I honestly think Trevor Lawrence is in tier S/tier 0 by himself. A hall of famer barring injury.

Then Fields, Lance, and Purdy in tier A
I was very close to doing that. Everyone knows who T-Law is by now though. So I didn't want to get too wonky with the tiers for prospects that so well known.

Seems like a class with high upside

I have been doing my homework on this years crop of qbs and I have to say that I really like trey lance as possibly qb 2. But it’s definitely neck and neck between he and Justin fields. I’m starting to do my homework on fields and want to see if my rankings change afterwards. I’ve been holding off on watching Trevor Lawrence because I think everyone already has him at number one. But this class is definitely shaping to be a great one and if for some reason stidham doesn’t show any promising signs of growth we should be in great position to get a very talented player.

I was very close to doing that. Everyone knows who T-Law is by now though. So I didn't want to get too wonky with the tiers for prospects that so well known.
Expanding on this a bit ...
I try to get specific with prospects even this far out and just saw something with the 2nd tiers. Close but some separation so I wanted to highlight that.

Lawrence is definitely in a class by himself. Kid has passed every test thrown at him at such a young age.

Anyway like grading I'm just trying to get as specific as I can with these prospects.

I'm definitely not giving up on Purdy. He's a prospect that has some real good stuff on tape. He's a script guy but really good once/if that script gets to play out. Like he can maximize in a great scheme (Shanahan-Mcvay?) but what's his peak/ceiling individually when needed? I guess that's the big question along with mental processing, mechanics & just playing faster.

He's very good when things are there for him. He didn't get much help, none really. From his guys or the coaching staff. They've been slow coming out the gate lately. They looked flat & flatter. Unathletic and slow on defense.

Back to Purdy, he needs to speed things up and not wait for the safest throws in the building. He doesn't have the whip or even mental game to fit those tight windows. He has very good touch and placement at times but not the biggest fastball.

Can't bail so easy. Have to go bang-bang throughout his reads or he'll always be a little late.

Again he didn't have much help but definitely didn't shine or even look the part today. Again today. I'm not getting excited until 4-5 games in.

Cunningham was excellent. He and staff definitely maximized his skill set within that offense. Ball just came off his hand fast and tight but I'd love to see him tighten that delivery up a bit overall but I like the torque he creates off that full body style he has.

3 & 16 from the end zone was legit. And he had another bomb from about the 1-2. He showed a lot confidence and poise on both plays.

Trevor lawrence may end up on the Jete or Giants...

Fields vs pressure & 3rd/4th down...

Lawrence destroyed Georgia tech! That was amazing!

best college qb since Peyton,

So purposely loose the rest of the games, including to the Jets, to get that #1 pick?

Very possible and I love Lawrence, but I feel like this was said about Luck and even Burrow

Unrelated, Lawrence is the best QB prospect in college by a mile...Maybe just my opinion, but the QB play in college doesn't bode well for future classes, don't like many

Very possible and I love Lawrence, but I feel like this was said about Luck and even Burrow

Unrelated, Lawrence is the best QB prospect in college by a mile...Maybe just my opinion, but the QB play in college doesn't bode well for future classes, don't like many
Luck was an outstanding prospect & NFL player. Other QB's would have folded & been out the league if they were put in his situation in Indy. No running game, OL, coaching, weapons weren't anything to speak of past TY. No Defense. He carried them to the playoffs and put up great #'s.

I think we get a few good ones this year. Then you have Slovis, Rattler, Howell, Daniels, kid from BC looks intriguing. I think these next two classes should produce a few goods ones. Then probably a little lull for a year or two.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back