PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 QB/PTP Thread

Watched all the film they have on qb mills of Stanford. All 10 games worth.

Big time accuracy. Gets the ball out in about two and a half seconds. This could be a guy that after a year or so develops into something special in our offense.
He's definitely an intriguing prospect. A natural, accurate thrower. The small sample size is a bit of a concern and he also seems to lock on to his primary read, but if we were to pick him up in 3rd or 4th round I think it would be a steal...

Ochmed Jones said:
Watched all the film they have on qb mills of Stanford. All 10 games worth.

Big time accuracy. Gets the ball out in about two and a half seconds. This could be a guy that after a year or so develops into something special in our offense.

He's definitely an intriguing prospect. A natural, accurate thrower. The small sample size is a bit of a concern and he also seems to lock on to his primary read, but if we were to pick him up in 3rd or 4th round I think it would be a steal...
It's taking a while but guys are finally starting to come around.

Now please explain to the rest of the board why spending a top 10-15 pick on Mac Jones is crazy.

It's taking a while but guys are finally starting to come around.

Now please explain to the rest of the board why spending a top 10-15 pick on Mac Jones is crazy.

I really like Mac Jones. I don't think he's a top 15 pick. If we were to get him in the second round I'd be pretty happy and I think that's where he should be drafted.

However, I think someone is going to draft him in the first, and it's not a huge reach. So if Bill likes him and wants him he may feel like he has to take him at 15. I wouldn't be horrified, because I think Jones is good but it would be a reach and hard to stomach if a serious blue chip player is still on the board, say Jamarr Chase, Kyle Pitts or Micah Parsons for instance.

I really like Mac Jones. I don't think he's a top 15 pick. If we were to get him in the second round I'd be pretty happy and I think that's where he should be drafted.

However, I think someone is going to draft him in the first, and it's not a huge reach. So if Bill likes him and wants him he may feel like he has to take him at 15. I wouldn't be horrified, because I think Jones is good but it would be a reach and hard to stomach if a serious blue chip player is still on the board, say Jamarr Chase, Kyle Pitts or Micah Parsons for instance.
I hear you. I've just been trying to let people know about Mills for a while now.

jones has had the luxury of his first reads being incredibly wide open. He has not had to really go through a read progression all that much.

when he can throw to his first read, he is completing over 70 percent.

however, when he goes to his second or third read, he is only a little more than 50 percent.

this is very scary in our offense, as most of our receivers are wretched!

jones has had the luxury of his first reads being incredibly wide open. He has not had to really go through a read progression all that much.

however, when he goes to his second or third read, he is only a little more than 50 percent.

Again I don't believe these completion % claims. Can you share the source link or article that claims this ? There are compilation videos of every throw attempt Jones made this year and he made a lot of completions to RBs who were likely not the first read. If he threw for 77% completion rate all season long, the claims make no sense about only hitting half of his 2nd or 3rd read throws. He basically hit on most throws he attempted, period

First, where are you getting those numbers from? Second, does that site rank other QBs in this draft so we can establish some kind of baseline?

Does anyone see a little bit of Kurt Warner in Mac Jones? I'm not saying Jones will eventually make the HOF but I see a lot of similarities

Both around 6'2"
Not mobile or athletic. Both will stay in the pocket
Great accuracy
Average arm strength
Lots of offensive talent around them

Last edited:
Does anyone see a little bit of Kurt Warner in Mac Jones? I'm not saying Jones will eventually make the HOF but I see a lot of similarities

Both around 6'2"
Great accuracy
Average arm strength
Cousins for me.
First, where are you getting those numbers from? Second, does that site rank other QBs in this draft so we can establish some kind of baseline?
I would be interested in this as well. I've heard it mentioned in my thread a few times by multiple people but it seems the people that brought it can't explain it for the life of them??

The only thing i can think of isolating his reads and coming up with a % of only 2nd & 3rd looks.

I have almost 0 interest in it but people have mentioned it several times and got no explanation.

Both around 6'2"
Great accuracy
Average arm strength
Hmm, that’s a really good comparison. Have to go back and watch more film on Warner, but the similarities between them seem very similar. Though Jones will have to go through a lot less to make it. Will probably get drafted in the 1st round, and probably start in his rookie season at some point.

Chris Simms sounds excited about Texas A&M QB Kellen Monds. Is this a guy the Patriots should be looking at in round 2? He seems to be athletic with a big arm. He didn't put up a lot of yards at A&M but he had a sterling TD to INT ratio with 19-3. Was he just not asked to do as much in the Aggies offense? How would he look in New England?

Chris Simms sounds excited about Texas A&M QB Kellen Monds. Is this a guy the Patriots should be looking at in round 2? He seems to be athletic with a big arm. He didn't put up a lot of yards at A&M but he had a sterling TD to INT ratio with 19-3. Was he just not asked to do as much in the Aggies offense? How would he look in New England?

he is the definition of inconsistency. He needs a strong supporting staff.

I think at this point I'm all for Lance/Jones, but unsure how realistic that is

Lance/Jones, Newton, Stidham a very solid QB room

Address TE (Henry? Smith? Everett?) and WR (Samuel? Davis?) in FA

Last edited:
I think at this point I'm all for Lance/Jones, but unsure how realistic that is

Lance/Jones, Newton, Stidham a very solid QB room

Address TE (Henry? Smith? Everett?) and WR (Samuel? Davis?) in FA

if newton gets hurt halfway through the season, who starts in his place?

I’m all for a trade up for Lance as long as it’s reasonable. I’m definitely not going into the top 5, I think 7 would be highest I would go (15+46 for 7).

The key is going to be Atlanta at 4. If they draft a QB then I think the cost will be too high. They will either draft Lance themselves or we would have to outbid Carolina for a move up. If Atlanta moves down or takes a non-QB then I think we may only need to move up to 10 for a QB (either Lance or Fields).

Ideally Atlanta takes one more shot at a Super Bowl with Ryan and Julio, drafting Kyle Pitts at 4. Carolina doesn’t feel the need to jump anyone, so they sit at 8 and take the more pro-ready QB in Fields. Pats trade up with Dallas to 10 to jump SF for Lance.

I know Cam gets s*** on a lot on here but I think he would be the ideal mentor to Trey Lance. Cam is a great leader that is loved by his teammates and nobody will ever question his work ethic. He might not have the physical ability he had in his younger years but he can be such a valuable tool in helping to develop a young, raw QB like Lance.

Keep in mind that although everyone has the Jets drafting Zach Wilson... they are STILL the Jets! There does exist a possibility they do the DUMB thing and pass on Wilson or knowing the Jets, they pass on Wilson and take Fields instead. ^_^

I mean this is the very same franchise who passed on Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, etc. etc. I'm waiting for STUPIDITY to happen again!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back