PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 QB/PTP Thread

When it comes to qb’s entering the nfl, I think the best example of how this class will do is if we look at burrows.

Basically burrows was a two year starter, who benefited greatly from the offensive star power around him at lsu,

in the nfl, he had a little success, but he really struggled with read progression both in terms of pre snap reads and moving through his reads post snap,

now we have fields, Jones and trask, all three of whom are basically 2 year starters surrounded by quality offensive skill players. I’m think got they will all have the same rookie as burrows.

lance is a one year starter from a lower division of football. He will require quite a lot of time to develop.

Jones is really just a one year starter. Stood in for an injured Tua in the last couple of games of 2019. Many thoughi Bryce Young would start in 2020 but Saban had other ideas. Young will start in 2021.

After BB took Dugger as early as he did I would not be surprised if he took Trey Lance at 15. They already ran an offense this year that would fit Lance's skill set. I do think it would take him a year on the bench to develop. We would need to get a filler for the year (Fitzpatrick?) unless BB gets someone like Stafford.

Anyone else think Lance could be a beast in this league?
I like Lance a lot (pardon the pun). He has some amazing skills. Unfortunately, I feel there’s no way he would be available at #15. Fitzpatrick with Lance sitting for a year would be a great idea. They’d have to trade up to get Lance though. So many teams are looking for QBs. I can’t see him getting past Carolina at #8.

I like Lance a lot (pardon the pun). He has some amazing skills. Unfortunately, I feel there’s no way he would be available at #15. Fitzpatrick with Lance sitting for a year would be a great idea. They’d have to trade up to get Lance though. So many teams are looking for QBs. I can’t see him getting past Carolina at #8.
I enjoyed this!

I agree with the full post tbf, Fitz/Lance would probs be my preference too but it seems unlikely without even a small trade up.

I think Lance will drop further than people think.

Between the small sample size and the quality of said sample size, added to Mac Jones moving up most boards, I wouldn't be surprised if Lance was the 5th or even 6th QB taken. Unless someone like the Panthers take him to sit him for two years.

starting to hear a lot about Jamie Newmann. Not sure if its because of his senior bowl week of work or that the media has already covered the other QBs.

Alabama destroyed Ohio st and Mac Jones threw 5 Td passes. Should the Pats be seriously looking at drafting Mac Jones in Round 1?
Mac Jones stats his last two games, the playoff game vs Notre Dame and the championship game vs Ohio State:

61-75 81% 761 TDs 9 TD 0 INT

Those are just ridiculous stats. 81 friggen percent against the 2 best teams he played all year. 9 TDs and ZERO Ints. The guy just shows up, he’s a gamer. Plays his best against the best teams. It’s not like he’s playing Nevada State and Southern Florida. Those stats are against two teams who had combined record of 17-1 before Alabama beat them.

I’m past the Smith/Harris are the only reason he was successful nonsense. Just like people used to downplay Brady early in his career, I’ll say the same thing I would say back then, you still have to make the throws. It’s Jones completing those passes at a ridiculous completion percentage. If you add in the SEC Championship game, his stats are:

94-118 79.6 % 1179 yards 14 TDs 1 Int

Just ridiculous stats in highly pressurized situations. He’s clutch, he’s a winner. IF he’s there at 15, you take him and run away like you just got away with something.

Drafting behind us are Arizona, the raiders, Miami and then Washington,

theoretically, we could trade back to 18, pick up an extra third and still grab Jones.

starting to hear a lot about Jamie Newmann. Not sure if its because of his senior bowl week of work or that the media has already covered the other QBs.
Lots of tools to work with, but some question marks over the transfer, the opt out, the decison-making. Has to be a day 3 pick, IMO

Pats are going to be attending Trevor Lawrence’s Pro Day. No clue why except for maybe some notes on him for when we play the Jags in the future. There’s literally no way in Hell we are trading for #1 overall. Not with the needs we have.

Pats are going to be attending Trevor Lawrence’s Pro Day. No clue why except for maybe some notes on him for when we play the Jags in the future. There’s literally no way in Hell we are trading for #1 overall. Not with the needs we have.
Wasn’t Belichick at Bradley Chubb’s pro day ? It was one of the top defenders of the last few years, Belichick was running drills during their pro day, despite knowing damn well we had no chance of drafting him. Jags fans would revolt if the Jags don’t select Lawrence. I can’t see a situation where they wouldn’t draft him. He’s a franchise QB, maybe even a generational QB.

I remember during the workout, I think they called him a more talented Justin Herbert. All Herbert did was break the NFL record for rookie TD passes. So imagine a more talented version of that. Wow.

Wasn’t Belichick at Bradley Chubb’s pro day ? It was one of the top defenders of the last few years, Belichick was running drills during their pro day, despite knowing damn well we had no chance of drafting him. Jags fans would revolt if the Jags don’t select Lawrence. I can’t see a situation where they wouldn’t draft him. He’s a franchise QB, maybe even a generational QB.

I remember during the workout, I think they called him a more talented Justin Herbert. All Herbert did was break the NFL record for rookie TD passes. So imagine a more talented version of that. Wow.
yeah but Herbert came in to a team with already nice offensive power, whom do the Jags have? they are overall a bad team, offense and defense, to whom shall TL throw a pass? context matters

Lawrence is a pro now so I'm sure 10000 eyes want to be on him. If I were a grizzled vet I'd like to see him up close, maybe talk a little **** for fun.

I'm sure most scouts are dying to get back on the road and chat it up with others. Due diligence etc..

These places are great connectors and good for networking. Confirming some opinions. Maybe hearing some new ones.

yeah but Herbert came in to a team with already nice offensive power, whom do the Jags have? they are overall a bad team, offense and defense, to whom shall TL throw a pass? context matters
DJ Chark, Laviska Shenault, James Robinson, maybe Keelan Cole back, a ton of cap room, two firsts, and high picks in each round. Just because the first three guys aren’t household names doesn’t mean they’re depleted of talent. Chark, in particular, should have a monster year with Lawrence throwing him the football.

Pats are going to be attending Trevor Lawrence’s Pro Day. No clue why except for maybe some notes on him for when we play the Jags in the future. There’s literally no way in Hell Jacksonville would trade their #1 overall pick.

FIFY

Lawrence is a pro now so I'm sure 10000 eyes want to be on him. If I were a grizzled vet I'd like to see him up close, maybe talk a little **** for fun.

I'm sure most scouts are dying to get back on the road and chat it up with others. Due diligence etc..

These places are great connectors and good for networking. Confirming some opinions. Maybe hearing some new ones.

if you ever go to one of these pro days, you see the scouts hanging around like a pack of wolves.

they all know each other and chat on and on about everything. No secrets between them.

it’s like a fraternity in a way.

Watched all the film they have on qb mills of Stanford. All 10 games worth.

Big time accuracy. Gets the ball out in about two and a half seconds. This could be a guy that after a year or so develops into something special in our offense.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back