PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 WR'S/PTP Thread

Yeah Bateman and Chase are two of the top 3-5. I've seen a lot of Bateman from watching Tyler and he looks legit.
Who is Tyler? Did you mean Tanner Morgan? He's a QB to watch for sure. They (Minny) cost me money on a couple of occasions betting against them.

Edit: DUH!! TYLER Johnson. Gotcha! Still a little early for me.

Yeah Bateman and Chase are two of the top 3-5. I've seen a lot of Bateman from watching Tyler and he looks legit.

If he puts up another solid season he'll have a great profile. Broke out early, production, size.

Next year's class is loaded.

ross from Clemson is a future stud, plus he has Lawrence throwing to him.

who knows which qb LSU has under center and that could negatively impact chase’s draft status.

who knows which qb LSU has under center and that could negatively impact chase’s draft status.
Ross is WR1 rn going into next year. Could change once I give the class a real look but rn he looks vg.

So, if the Patriots' priority is to make things as easy as possible for Stidham, does that mean going WR at #23? Consider...
  • Sanu is 31 and a free agent after the season.
  • Edelman will be 34 in May.
  • I'm not sure the Patriots can be certain about what they'll get out of Harry, Meyers, or Byrd next year.
  • Doesn't make sense to take a RB in the 1st round again.
  • I wouldn't take Kmet or Trautman that early.
  • Maybe you could go OL at #23, but the OL seems pretty set and there's no guarantee that whatever OL they picked would even start.
Assuming Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs are off the board, you could make a case that if the Patriots can't find a deal they like to move down from #23, the smart thing to do would be to pick the guy you like the most from the 2nd tier of receivers - Jefferson, Mims, Pittman, Aiyuk, Higgins, Reagor, and Shenault.

So he could go from a top 5 pick to a top 10 pick. He's really not falling all that much and he will be the 1st receiver off the board.

So, if the Patriots' priority is to make things as easy as possible for Stidham, does that mean going WR at #23? Consider...
  • Sanu is 31 and a free agent after the season.
  • Edelman will be 34 in May.
  • I'm not sure the Patriots can be certain about what they'll get out of Harry, Meyers, or Byrd next year.
  • Doesn't make sense to take a RB in the 1st round again.
  • I wouldn't take Kmet or Trautman that early.
  • Maybe you could go OL at #23, but the OL seems pretty set and there's no guarantee that whatever OL they picked would even start.
Assuming Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs are off the board, you could make a case that if the Patriots can't find a deal they like to move down from #23, the smart thing to do would be to pick the guy you like the most from the 2nd tier of receivers - Jefferson, Mims, Pittman, Aiyuk, Higgins, Reagor, and Shenault.

It makes sense for sure but I’m thinking if they have to pick at 23 then they try to replenish the defense side of the ball.

It makes sense for sure but I’m thinking if they have to pick at 23 then they try to replenish the defense side of the ball.
If it's defense, then it has to be at LB, where we almost literally have Nobody besides Hightower & Simon...and those two aren't exactly sideline-to-sideline/coverage demons...

If it's defense, then it has to be at LB, where we almost literally have Nobody besides Hightower & Simon...and those two aren't exactly sideline-to-sideline/coverage demons...

Don't forget Bentley. And if Simon is an LB, then you also can count Winovich.

I'm not arguing LB isn't a need. It absolutely is. But I think the front needs just as much help. Guy, Butler, and Allen is all we can count on, and Butler and Allen aren't exactly full time players. Guy and Butler are free agents after the year(as is Hightower).

I think DL is just as likely as LB in the first. I hope both are addressed in the first 3 rounds.

Don't forget Bentley. And if Simon is an LB, then you also can count Winovich.

I'm not arguing LB isn't a need. It absolutely is. But I think the front needs just as much help. Guy, Butler, and Allen is all we can count on, and Butler and Allen aren't exactly full time players. Guy and Butler are free agents after the year(as is Hightower).

I think DL is just as likely as LB in the first. I hope both are addressed in the first 3 rounds.
I didn't forget Bentley.

I agree about DT being one of our top needs after TE, WR & LB, but there is nobody in the 1st/2nd round fitting the bill for a Run-Stuffer after Derrick Brown & Javon Kinlaw...the rest of them are 3-Techs, and that's not what I'm looking for this year...

I didn't forget Bentley.

I agree about DT being one of our top needs after TE, WR & LB, but there is nobody in the 1st/2nd round fitting the bill for a Run-Stuffer after Derrick Brown & Javon Kinlaw...the rest of them are 3-Techs, and that's not what I'm looking for this year...

I just don't think we know exactly whats going through Bills head. Epenesa would fit the Trey Flowers role very well. But we also have a lot of guys approaching FA next year, as well as needs now. What if Bill likes someone enough to shift gears? Gross Matos has some Chandler Jones to him. What if he still wants what Easley was suppose to be and likes Gallimore or Blacklock? If we're moving into the second, Davidson and Davis bring some versatility.

Just saying, we have a need up front now, and we'll have even more a year from now. If Bill has something in mind, he could go a different way with guys here.

I know some of those guys aren't in the 23rd pick discussion. Its some trade down thoughts, since I think most have the idea that trading down is very possible.

I didn't forget Bentley.

Cap’n it would be interesting to see your ranking of legit 1-Tech DTs (beyond Brown and Kinlaw). I’m with you on this being a priority,

I think the draft capital should be used to ensure the Pats get the best of the next tier of 1-Techs without overreacting and costing themselves the ability to also address equally important needs at TE, LB, and C. IMHO the best way to accomplish this is to trade down from #23 and up from their three in Round 3 and hope for two in Round 2 and one more in Round 3. Looking at the value chart, there are several ways this can be done. I’ve mocked this a few times and have gone with R. Davis, L. Fotu, and D. Hamilton with picks in the #50 - #125 range, meaning I was able to mock draft a top TE (Kmet, Bryant, or Trautman) or C (Ruiz, Hennessy, or Biadasz). Getting the right LB to go with the 1-Tech has been a bigger challenge.

Cap’n it would be interesting to see your ranking of legit 1-Tech DTs (beyond Brown and Kinlaw). I’m with you on this being a priority,

I think the draft capital should be used to ensure the Pats get the best of the next tier of 1-Techs without overreacting and costing themselves the ability to also address equally important needs at TE, LB, and C. IMHO the best way to accomplish this is to trade down from #23 and up from their three in Round 3 and hope for two in Round 2 and one more in Round 3. Looking at the value chart, there are several ways this can be done. I’ve mocked this a few times and have gone with R. Davis, L. Fotu, and D. Hamilton with picks in the #50 - #125 range, meaning I was able to mock draft a top TE (Kmet, Bryant, or Trautman) or C (Ruiz, Hennessy, or Biadasz). Getting the right LB to go with the 1-Tech has been a bigger challenge.
I have the same 0/1-Techs in mind that you have: Raekwon Davis, Davon Hamilton & Leki Fotu, in that order...I think all 3 are 3rd-round values, and I'm hoping that one of them is still available beginning at #87...

Favorites of mine on Day 3 are Khalil Davis & Benito Jones, both of whose value for me begins at #172...

I think that focus of any picks before say pick 90 should be the defensive front seven.
We can pick a couple of WR's later (and an IOL and C).

I like James Proche, Joe Reed, Malcolm Perry and the two Rhode Island cousins as late round sleepers

I could totally see BB using one of those 6th or 7th round picks on Perry.

Keenan Reynolds didn't make it and he was a better athlete than Perry. Not sure how easy it is to make that transition, but you can try.

I think that focus of any picks before say pick 90 should be the defensive front seven and TE.
We can pick a couple of WR's later (and an OT and C).
FIFY.

Reed's a guy who would probably be a borderline Day 2 pick in any other draft class. He's big and powerful and has good measurables and hands and can contribute on special teams. He's coming from a very basic offense and is probably a slot-only guy but not sure why he's so far down compared to other guys like Lynn Bowden or with similar skillsets who are even less developed as receivers. I guess Bowden played quarterback or whatever (poorly) so you can pretend he's a new Taysom Hill (whatever, who cares).

I'm not a Reed guy. Hope you're right about his upside. I don't see it. I'd rather pick a higher ceiling guy or someone earlier in the draft. This kid DOES have mad kick return skills. VERY consistent in that area. Career 28.7/return with 5 house-calls.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back