PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 TE/PTP Thread

Will BB go BPA or draft for need this year? Asking for a friend :cool:

If he trades back a lot I think it will be for need...IMHO
If he trades back - and I kinda hope he does - then maybe he's targeting a couple of guys: one that he feels will still be available even after a trade-down or two; and another that he knows won't be available when #87 arrives and he needs to somehow fill the gap between those picks...

Haven’t seen Dalton Keene talked about much here. He had a pretty good combine, so I started to dive in to his tape a bit. His play style reminds me of former Dolphins / Bills TE Charles Clay. And if I remember correctly, BB also heaped praise on Clay. Could be a name to note in later rounds.

Haven’t seen Dalton Keene talked about much here. He had a pretty good combine, so I started to dive in to his tape a bit. His play style reminds me of former Dolphins / Bills TE Charles Clay. And if I remember correctly, BB also heaped praise on Clay. Could be a name to note in later rounds.
I would love Dalton Keene with one of our 6ths as an awesome Part 2 of a double-dip at TE with Kmet, Trautman or Harrison Bryant on Day 2...

Charles Clay is still a UFA, by the way...just sayin'...He, Keene & Kmet/Trautman/Bryant wouldn't be a bad way to begin the overhaul at that position...

Big time worker in everything he does. Excelled at almost everything he did just didn't get many opportunities. Blocking, lining up everywhere, effort always stood out like he really cares about every assignment.
Like his potential as a blocker. Kyed is just blowing smoke for clicks. I honestly doubt he watched either guy in college. I read the article, mostly general stuff.
I think Keene has potential as a blocker in space. Effort like a dog. Wants to move his man off the field. Undersized as a inline guy but the tools are there. Just needs a little more size and experience. Has to a little bigger to routinely play inline.

He'll need to show he has what it takes to get open outside of manufactured touches. Might be able to but he'll need to just gain experience doing it. Mostly used on simple leak routes where it's an easy get. Obviously has the speed & agility. Just needs to be able to show he can utilize them while coming off the line, slot, backfield.

He's familiar with lining up everywhere so hopefully that'll help. He's flashed body control and catch radius at times so it might be inside him.

And how many players from Virginia tech has bb drafted since he became the patriots head coach?

And how many players from Virginia tech has bb drafted since he became the patriots head coach?
I ass-ume that the answer is Zero, or close to it...But there's a first time for everything...who would've thought that Bill would choose a WR with a 1st-round pick?

I just want the Pats to pick TWO pass catching TEs. One early (no later than the 3rd round) and one late. I’d be ridiculously happy if they pick two within the first four rounds.

My favorite TE is Albert Okwuebunam, I know he’s not the highest rated, but I’ve been a fan of his for 2 years now. I think he’s exactly what the Pats need at TE. Big, fast, explosive, good hands. If we can get Albert O in the 3rd round (though I think he goes higher) and maybe someone like Colby Parkinson later on (6’7” red zone mismatch), I’d be thrilled. Would totally change our offense around.

I like Devin Asiasi a lot in the 4/5th round. Would prefer him to Bryant or Albert O in the 3rd.

I like Devin Asiasi a lot in the 4/5th round. Would prefer him to Bryant or Albert O in the 3rd.
To Hunter Bryant, yes...to Harrison Bryant, no...I prefer Asiasi as a Part 2 of a TE double-dip, not as a Part 1...

I just want the Pats to pick TWO pass catching TEs. One early (no later than the 3rd round) and one late. I’d be ridiculously happy if they pick two within the first four rounds.

My favorite TE is Albert Okwuebunam, I know he’s not the highest rated, but I’ve been a fan of his for 2 years now. I think he’s exactly what the Pats need at TE. Big, fast, explosive, good hands. If we can get Albert O in the 3rd round (though I think he goes higher) and a guy like Colby Parkinson late (6’7” red zone mismatch), I’d be thrilled.

I don't want to take two TEs in a weak draft. I'd rather punt on the position than reach for one.

Kmet and Trutman are mid 3rd rounders to me. Everyone else is a day 3 pick.

We look for the best values at TE. And it seems that we well placed to get value at TE in our picks in the 3rd and 4th. The TE situation is different than last year, with no one at the top.

However, it may be a repeat of 2020 if none of the TE's are on Belichick's draft board, as was apparently the case last year.

Most of us were surprised early when we passed on Smith to draft Williams and shocked when we passed on Knox to draft Harris. Obviously, we should never be surprised when Belichcik picks a DB in the 2nd round.

To be clear, this is NOT hindsight. Most of us said this before, during and after last year's draft, and then again during the pre-season, the season and after the season.

Last edited:
I don't want to take two TEs in a weak draft. I'd rather punt on the position than reach for one.

Kmet and Trutman are mid 3rd rounders to me. Everyone else is a day 3 pick.

So, we should be looking at Kmet and Truman in the 3rd, where we have three picks?

Does Belichick draft a 6'3" TE who has character questions in the later rounds ? I doubt it. Talented, yes, but he's been suspended and has had personal issues. Funny thing is, despite being 6'3", he's known as a very good blocker.

I'm starting to warm up to Cole Kmet. He may not be the most explosive TE, but he brings a lot to a team, Notre Dame actually had him split out wide sometimes, he has decent enough speed to be a good receiving TE at 6'6" 260.

So, we should be looking at Kmet and Truman in the 3rd, where we have three picks?
Kmet nor Trautman may not be available in round 3, may have to trade up to get either.

Yeah, I think my point was that Kmet and Trautman are very likely to be gone by 87 ( as high as the 2nd round). I don't want to trade up for them.

Kmet looks the part but he slightly underwhelms on tape personally give his reputation. He's solid but spending a top 50 pick to get him stings when you could get a difference making WR, for example, at that point. In terms of value, I just think it's worth picking one of the pass catching TEs later on in the draft (Bryce Hopkins, Devin Asiasi, Hunter Bryant etc) and trying to cobble together the blocking role.

Well, it was Asiasi.

TE/PTP

Tier 2

Pat Freiermuth 6'5/260 - PSU

Jared Pinckney 6'4/255 - Vanderbilt

Albert Okwuegbunam 6'5/255 - Missouri

Mitchell Wilcox 6'5/245 - USF

Colby Parkinson 6'7/240 - Stanford

Jake Ferguson 6'5/240 - Wisconsin

Matt Bushman 6'5/250 - BYU

Brycen Hopkins 6'5/245 - Purdue

Cade Otton 6'5/250 - Washington

Grant Calcaterra 6'4/220 - Oklahoma

Josiah Deguara 6'3/240 - Cincinnati

Tier 3
Cheyenne O’Grady 6'4/250 - Arkansas

Jack Stoll 6'4/260 - Nebraska

Charlie Kolar 6'6/250 - Iowa St

Miller Forristall 6'5/240 - Alabama

Harrison Bryant 6'5/240 - FAU

Hunter Bryant 6'2/225 - Washington

Charlie Taumoepeau 6'3/245 - Portland St

Devin Asiasi 6'3/250 - UCLA

Jacob Breeland 6'5/250 Oregon

Adam Trautman 6'6/250 Dayton

Joey Magnifico 6'4/235 Memphis

Noah Togiai 6'4/240 Oregon St

Dominick Wood-Anderson 6'4/260 -Tennessee

Jared Rice 6'5/230 - Fresno St

Charlie Woerner 6'5/245 - Georgia

Collin Reed 6'4/250 - App St

Octavius Cooley 6'3/265 - Ole Miss

Nick Eubanks 6'5/255 - Michigan

Carl Tucker 6'2/255 North Carolina

Tyler Davis 6'4/245 - Georgia Tech

Farrod Green 6'4/240 - Miss St

Brandon Fritts 6'4/240 - North Carolina - injury
Not great but not bad for TE imo. I'd say B - / C?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back