PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 RB/PTP Thread

I agree with you in not needing a running back. I believe that with develin back and hopefully a healthy David Andrews we get the running game back on track to where it was at the end of season into the playoffs last year. I think with Michel, white, and Harris there isn’t many snaps to go around.
Don't forget Rex, whose probably been the most explosive of the bunch this year

I agree with you in not needing a running back. I believe that with develin back and hopefully a healthy David Andrews we get the running game back on track to where it was at the end of season into the playoffs last year. I think with Michel, white, and Harris there isn’t many snaps to go around.
Early in the year I believed another center was needed because I didn't think Karras was good enough but I think he improved during the season and is totally adequate as an interior backup. Don't know his contract status but hope he comes back. I definitely want to resign Thuney. That would keep the OL intact for next year with Froholdt and Cajuste as potential contributors with whatever they pick up this year. Receivers remain a mystery to me. Other teams have back ups contribute when primaries go down but we can't get receivers open. Has the offense become to complex. Brady has been running it for 20 years so his knowledge is expansive. Is it to much to expect newbies to contribute. Surely Troy Brown knows how to run a route. He can't show others how to do it. Why don't we throw to TE's at all.? So many questions. Yet, except for QB we still look good going into next year. I know that is a heretical statement but I just don't know where TB is at. It sure looked like facing a cliff Sunday.

Early in the year I believed another center was needed because I didn't think Karras was good enough but I think he improved during the season and is totally adequate as an interior backup. Don't know his contract status but hope he comes back. I definitely want to resign Thuney. That would keep the OL intact for next year with Froholdt and Cajuste as potential contributors with whatever they pick up this year. Receivers remain a mystery to me. Other teams have back ups contribute when primaries go down but we can't get receivers open. Has the offense become to complex. Brady has been running it for 20 years so his knowledge is expansive. Is it to much to expect newbies to contribute. Surely Troy Brown knows how to run a route. He can't show others how to do it. Why don't we throw to TE's at all.? So many questions. Yet, except for QB we still look good going into next year. I know that is a heretical statement but I just don't know where TB is at. It sure looked like facing a cliff Sunday.

I agree with you. I really don’t know where Brady is at. There is a part of me that is hoping that the down year is due to the amount of change that occurred throughout the team. No gronk, no develin, no Andrews, a severe lack of talent on offense. But then when you watch on game days there are throws you have to wonder what the plan was. Like the pick six against Miami. That ball had no chance to getting to either Edelman or Michel. It was thrown perfectly for the defender.

But I’m thinking that if Brady decides to play for one more year and not retire the plan should be to actually get him some dependable pieces to work with. I’m talking about receivers who can actually get open and are a not still developing. Giving Brady rookie players isn’t going to get the job done. The tight end position needs a complete overhaul.

I agree with you. I really don’t know where Brady is at. There is a part of me that is hoping that the down year is due to the amount of change that occurred throughout the team. No gronk, no develin, no Andrews, a severe lack of talent on offense. But then when you watch on game days there are throws you have to wonder what the plan was. Like the pick six against Miami. That ball had no chance to getting to either Edelman or Michel. It was thrown perfectly for the defender.

But I’m thinking that if Brady decides to play for one more year and not retire the plan should be to actually get him some dependable pieces to work with. I’m talking about receivers who can actually get open and are a not still developing. Giving Brady rookie players isn’t going to get the job done. The tight end position needs a complete overhaul.

This RB class looked great coming into the year & even better now. If I needed a RB I'd be very happy knowing I have plenty of options & don't need to even bother early on. Someone made a comment on Perine possibly converting to a slot & I definitely think we need to get creative with our RBs in the rec game. We've proven we have no problem throwing to them a ton but If like to see us use them more from slot/outside more. We see glimpses but probably could have use them more this year all things considering.
ETN, Akers, Perine & Dobbins are all dynamic/have what it takes to be 3 down backs & most likely won't go Rd1/2. Akers for example has been playing in one of the worst situations in all of football who hasn't seen a clean los in years. Incredibly patient back but never gets to show it behind that OL. All look like their natural pass catchers with + elusiveness & short area quicks. Each a lil different but all have that matchup nightmare ability. Usually a good class is 4-5 deep, this class looks to have 8-10 prospects that could help you relatively quick out of the gates. Insane class.

Give me AJ Dillon in the Third
We can make him into Henry light but pound him in the 4th quarter
Have always valued and love power backs, LGB was excellent here

Give me AJ Dillon in the Third
We can make him into Henry light but pound him in the 4th quarter
Exactly. Goal line beast. He can be our Henry. We wasted a pick drafting Harris in the 3rd when receivers and TEs were available (WR Miles Boykin & TE Dawson Knox for instance).

Exactly. Goal line beast. He can be our Henry. We wasted a pick drafting Harris in the 3rd when receivers and TEs were available (WR Miles Boykin & TE Dawson Knox for instance).

I don’t think Harris was wasted pick. I think he may take Burkheads spot next season. I really liked Harris back in college. But if Burkhead is released I still think Dillon would be perfect power back to compliment white, Michel, and Harris.

Dillon's fine but he's a late round flyer. He has zero talent in the passing game and I'm not sure his vision is NFL-caliber.

Dillon's fine but he's a late round flyer. He has zero talent in the passing game and I'm not sure his vision is NFL-caliber.
I respectfully disagree. in 2018 for instance, he forced 51 missed tackles (don't know what that number was in 2019). He has a really good spin move (spinning and causing missed tackles). Has good vision at the line of scrimmage, and some shiftiness. He can bounce it to the outside, I believe he had a 75 yard run. Had 13 catches for a 15.0 ypc, so not horrible in the pass game. 6'0" 250, we need one of those types.

The running back from Utah has some pretty good tape. It should be interesting to see how he runs.

I was looking at Dillon also in case Develin does not come back. I may not understand the FB position fully but why would we need him to take passes when all we need is a battering ram ?

I was looking at Dillon also in case Develin does not come back. I may not understand the FB position fully but why would we need him to take passes when all we need is a battering ram ?
Ideally you want some versatility from that position bc of things it forces your opponents to account for. Whether it's splitting them out on slow defense or running a wheel route off PA or a fake block.

Oh Dawson Knox.. thought he would be a steal for whoever drafted him..

It's interesting that the 5'10-210 lbs (school numbers) Etienne broke so many tackles on so few rushes. I can't tell the exact number but it looks close to being 90 broken tackles on 182 attempts (as of 12/24/19) . No idea how many he had in the last 2 games he played on 12/28 and 1/13

It's interesting that the 5'10-210 lbs (school numbers) Etienne broke so many tackles on so few rushes. I can't tell the exact number but it looks close to being 90 broken tackles on 182 attempts (as of 12/24/19) . No idea how many he had in the last 2 games he played on 12/28 and 1/13

it is easier to break the tackles of guys with jersey numbers in the 20’s than the 90’s.

it is easier to break the tackles of guys with jersey numbers in the 20’s than the 90’s.

So, are you claiming that Etienne was only a product of his O-line?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back