PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 OT/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'll use this thread to talk about & breakdown the offensive tackle position. Could be a great class. How about the size! Ive seen Wirfs atop almost everyones board. Really like the player but I think its a deep class w other top tier talent that could easily push him out the top spot.

*Played multiple spots on OL
**Injury

Top Tier
Andrew Thomas - Georgia - 6'5/320

Walker Little**(helped off today, lower body) - Stanford - 6'7/315

Calvin Throckmorton*(RT/RG) - Oregon - 6'5/320

Trey Smith**(blood clots in lungs I believe) - Tennessee - 6'6/320

Lucas Niang - TCU - 6'7/330

Tristan Wirfs - Iowa - 6’5/320

Yasir Durant - Missouri - 6’7/330

Trey Adams - Washington - 6'8/320

Alex Leatherwood - Alabama - 6’6/305

2nd Tier
Julian Good-Jones*(LT/C) Iowa St - 6'5/300

Alaric Jackson - Iowa - 6’7/320

Terence Steele - Texas Tech - 6’6/320

Ezra Cleveland - Boise St - 6’6/310

Cole Van Lanen - Wisconsin - 6'5/310

Prince Tega -Wanogho - Auburn - 6’7/305

Victor Johnson - App St - 6’5/295

Scott Frantz - Kansas St - 6’5/295

Abraham Lucas - Washington St - 6’7/320

Colten McKivitz - West Virginia - 6’7/300

Landon Young - Kentucky - 6’7/305

Kamaal Seymour - Rutgers - 6'6/310

Matt Womack - Alabama - 6’7/325

Darrin Paulo - Utah - 6’5/315

Mekhi Becton - Louisville - 6’7/355

Netane Muti - Fresno St- 6’3/310

Jedrick Wills - Alabama - 6’5/310

Last edited:
First off his (71) movements look better & pretty powerful compared to last year. The quicks & power he gets on that first step to edge showed up & just moving around & to the 2nd level. Patient but feet always firing. First play he basically clears a lane himself taking care of 2 guys. Displayed that quick jump & some power on the edge. After that it looks like him & Kindley paved a highway. He was very clean & jumped off the screen a few times today. That whole UG OL is big, mean & fast. Supposedly Thomas is a quiet guy/player. Lets his play do the talking. Looks like he put in a ton of work of the spring/summer bc again he looks very smooth & quicker compared to last year. Impressed.

Definitely have to watch more of these guys, I was previous only aware of Adams, Thomas, and Little

Adams my bet to be the first OT taken

Wynn is going to be an excellent left tackle for us provided he stays healthy.

Cajuste is our right tackle of the future.

niang started 13 games last season and did not give up a sack, either him or smith in the second round would be a great pick for us.

Wynn is going to be an excellent left tackle for us provided he stays healthy.

Cajuste is our right tackle of the future.

niang started 13 games last season and did not give up a sack, either him or smith in the second round would be a great pick for us.

I've had my eye on Niang for a while as well. Interesting kid. I'd like to see him really put it all together this year. While center may be higher on the OL list, I hope we grab another OT, too.

The center from Wisconsin is a beast. However bb tends to find his later in the draft and beyond.

definitely think we will draft a center somewhere round 3-5

Thuney is likely a goner. Cannon may just be done. BB will be looking to draft an OL high in the draft, especially if someone he likes starts to slide. Thank goodness Wynn looks like a real gem. We have him, Shaq and hopefully Andrews comes back healthy. The need is definitely there.

Saw heck from North Carolina play and was impressed.

Good size, athletic and works well in a zone blocking scheme.

He might work really well in our offense.

Saw tape of becton of Louisville and my first impression is a pure right tackle. He is a huge man and when he goes forward, anything in front of him goes backwards. As a pass blocker, he has a tiny bit of dancing bear his sets.

he is probably a fifth or sixth round draft pick that starts in year two. If we take him, he is brown part 2 only on the right side.

I’ve recently been looking at tackles because thuney may walk as a free agent and I could see Wynn sliding over if by chance it doesn’t workout for him as the starting left tackle. I really like wirfs but I don’t think he’s going to slip to the end of round 1 and I think Thomas may go top 10. So I’m starting to do my homework on the tackle from Auburn because I’ve seen some recent mocks of him going to us at 32. From what I’m hearing his athleticism and toughness is what sticks out but his technique may need some work.

Been watching the tackle from Wisconsin, Cole van lanen. The first thing that jumps off the tape is his power. He moves people backwards.

the other thing I notice about him is he has T-Rex-itis. Short arms.

I know bb does not like Wisconsin o line guys because they usually suck in a zone blocking scheme like ours, but this kid might be the exception.

this guy is really a guard playing tackle. Bb can draft him in the sixth round and move him to guard and he might be able to start day 1 if thuney blows town.

Been watching the tackle from Wisconsin, Cole van lanen. The first thing that jumps off the tape is his power. He moves people backwards.

the other thing I notice about him is he has T-Rex-itis. Short arms.

I know bb does not like Wisconsin o line guys because they usually suck in a zone blocking scheme like ours, but this kid might be the exception.

this guy is really a guard playing tackle. Bb can draft him in the sixth round and move him to guard and he might be able to start day 1 if thuney blows town.
Hopefully Thuney sticks around, but would not shock me at all to see Wynn kick inside to LG and maybe draft a LT in 2020

Cajuste and Froholdt hopefully make an impact next year as well

Also have a feeling Nate Solder and Trent Williams are moved sooner rather than later, something to monitor

Bb seems to prefer drafting athletic o linemen. He is willing to take a guy with strength or technique warts as long as they are athletic and project into our zone blocking scheme,

if that is the case, then the most athletic o lineman in college football this year Is leatherwood of Alabama. The beauty with him is, he has played guard and tackle and can play center.

while is doubt he lasts Until number 32, but I would love to see us get him in this draft.

ps: in the third round a guy like brederson of Michigan or lemuix of Oregon would be great raw material for scar to mold!

Bb seems to prefer drafting athletic o linemen. He is willing to take a guy with strength or technique warts as long as they are athletic and project into our zone blocking scheme,

if that is the case, then the most athletic o lineman in college football this year Is leatherwood of Alabama. The beauty with him is, he has played guard and tackle and can play center.

while is doubt he lasts Until number 32, but I would love to see us get him in this draft.

ps: in the third round a guy like brederson of Michigan or lemuix of Oregon would be great raw material for scar to mold!
Could absolutely see Leatherwood here

Lemieux is my top OG I believe as well

Could absolutely see them go OL early with Wynn a question mark as of now and Thuney a UFA, hopefully Andrews returns

I don't think it's a coincidence that last year when our o line was playing well, our who look e offense was in sync.

I think we need to draft along the line early and often. Could use a tackle, guard and center. Can't have guys like Newhouse or Ferentz coming off the bench

Could absolutely see Leatherwood here

Lemieux is my top OG I believe as well

Could absolutely see them go OL early with Wynn a question mark as of now and Thuney a UFA, hopefully Andrews returns

I don't think it's a coincidence that last year when our o line was playing well, our who look e offense was in sync.

I think we need to draft along the line early and often. Could use a tackle, guard and center. Can't have guys like Newhouse or Ferentz coming off the bench
You're correct, the O-line is underperforming

The Andrews injury sucks, Wynn had been out the majority of the year for turf toe (Mankins would be ashamed), and Mason hasn't been playing to his ceiling

Newhouse and Ferentz aren't the worst bench options, but certainly could do better

Don't forget about Froholdt and Cajuste next year, and HOPEFULLY Andrews comes back healthy (He's hunting and in good spirits on Instagram FWIW)

Hopefully this O-line plays to their potential this season or we're in trouble, trickles down to affecting the run game and 12 which affects the whole O

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back