PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT QB THREAD

He isn’t perfect and isn’t a certain starter but if he was he’d be talked about as a first rounder which no-one is doing. He is what he is, an improvement on Hoyer eventually with the upside of being a good enough starter to prevent us being desperate enough to trade the lo fora Brady successor. He doesn’t prevent you drafting QBs in the future but provides decent cover in the meantime. The one thing he has is the smarts, character and experience to slot into the system almost immediately. Every year there’s a prospect that gets unremitting hate from draft twitter. Falk seems to be that guy this year and I think it says more about those being constantly negative about Falk than it does about Falk himself. He is what he is, no-one is claiming more than that on his behalf.
Its not being negative. Its simply pointing out a players strengths & weakness etc Its busting false narratives on here and in the media.

Falk as an example, I mean its more than obvious he has trouble under pressure & velocity issues. Believe it or not but some wanted him in the 2nd/3rd. Its being objective just like I am w/ Lauletta and others.

This why I love grades, for better or worse. My opinion is taken out. Also its a lot more clear than I had him in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc years later

BTW, is it fair to say that we have absolutely no f—ing clue what BB intends to do at the QB position, other than "bring one in at some point"?
Yes.

Even w the picks we have theres no sure thing of us getting our guy if hes a lottery type.

I don't think many understand how fluid these things are after a few picks. Esp in drafts like this 0ne, 2013. I honestly haven't been this pumped for a draft in a while simply bc teams that have been bad for decades could be playoff+ teams in 2 years w another good draft. Im a huge NFL fan in general so I like it when the league gets young talent in places that haven't won before. Plus our 2-4 picks. Lamar Jackson intrigue. Kiper and other experts pounding the table for Johny Football, Trent Ricardson and other greats.

Just for reference, here's how DraftScout described Jimmy G in 2014:

"STRENGTHS: Good, not great, height, body type and hand size. Better than adequate arm strength with a snap release that produces some juice. Live arm with his experience coming from a pass-happy offense.

Excellent passing vision with quick eyes to scan and a quick, natural delivery. Smart and executes the offense well. Quick intellectual process on the football field. Above average timing with little unnecessary movements and very good pace in his set-up.

Quick feet to evade pressure with the pocket mobility to move his lower body with his eyes focused downfield. Gets "happy feet" at times, but shows the ability to reset. Very good touch and overall placement with improved accuracy to all levels of the field throughout his career.

Level-headed and always under control with a strong leadership presence. Confident thrower and short memory. Elite career production as a four-year starter at the FCS level.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of elite velocity will show on some NFL throws. Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps."

Just for reference, here's how DraftScout described Jimmy G in 2014:

"STRENGTHS: Good, not great, height, body type and hand size. Better than adequate arm strength with a snap release that produces some juice. Live arm with his experience coming from a pass-happy offense.

Excellent passing vision with quick eyes to scan and a quick, natural delivery. Smart and executes the offense well. Quick intellectual process on the football field. Above average timing with little unnecessary movements and very good pace in his set-up.

Quick feet to evade pressure with the pocket mobility to move his lower body with his eyes focused downfield. Gets "happy feet" at times, but shows the ability to reset. Very good touch and overall placement with improved accuracy to all levels of the field throughout his career.

Level-headed and always under control with a strong leadership presence. Confident thrower and short memory. Elite career production as a four-year starter at the FCS level.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of elite velocity will show on some NFL throws. Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps."
Jimmy, Carr and most of that class was bad under pressure.

That def was real. Jimmy had the pocket awareness & mobility to create, escape & manipulate his pocket while Luke has never been able to done that. (This is why I have Lauletta in the 2nd & Falk in the late 4th)

I guess i just disagree w the pocket awareness statement. Jimmy knew what was happening but was dealing w it properly.

I had Carr, Jimmy & Bridgewater graded top 3, all 2nd rd of that class. I just don't get that same feeling with Falk.

That def was real. Jimmy had the pocket awareness & mobility to create, escape & manipulate his pocket while Luke has never been able to done that. (This is why I have Lauletta in the 2nd & Falk in the late 4th)

I keep coming back to Lauletta in the 2nd too. Any QB prospect available outside the top half of round 1 will have major flaws, but Lauletta checks off the boxes I'm least willing to compromise on: accuracy, processing speed, field awareness. Oh, and of course, a strong Naval Academy connection. ;)

I keep coming back to Lauletta in the 2nd too. Any QB prospect available outside the top half of round 1 will have major flaws, but Lauletta checks off the boxes I'm least willing to compromise on: accuracy, processing speed, field awareness. Oh, and of course, a strong Naval Academy connection. ;)
You nailed it. There are certain flaws you can live with. Every player has em, even Tommy. Some can improve in areas and some players will have the same flaws their entire career and still be very productive, even make it to the HOF. In fact very few make 180's on their flaws but rather tinker and improve in a few areas.

I seems to me that whichever "top" QB prospects are selected by the Browns and the Jets will each turn out to have at least one major flaw.

;)

any thoughts on the Marshall QB, Chase Litton, as a 6th, 7th, or UDFA?

6'5", 232, not mobile, good arm, 3 year starter, over 60% each year, very raw since it was a simple offense.

Has some off-the-field issues- failed pot test, in high school his ex-GF accused him of stalking, and he was somehow involved in a theft.

Chase Litton, QB, Marshall

any thoughts on the Marshall QB, Chase Litton, as a 6th, 7th, or UDFA?

6'5", 232, not mobile, good arm, 3 year starter, over 60% each year, very raw since it was a simple offense.

Has some off-the-field issues- failed pot test, in high school his ex-GF accused him of stalking, and he was somehow involved in a theft.

Chase Litton, QB, Marshall
I mean in terms of pocket passing he has some qualities about him you want. Arm, size, shows no fear in the pocket in terms of standing tall or slinging, it is a problem for him. He thinks he can make any throw rn. I have a 6th on him, so 6-7 would be fine by me.

I mean in terms of pocket passing he has some qualities about him you want. Arm, size, shows no fear in the pocket in terms of standing tall or slinging, it is a problem for him. He thinks he can make any throw rn. I have a 6th on him, so 6-7 would be fine by me.

My late draft binkie Kyle Allen reminds me of Tom how he didnt get the starting job long but when he got to play made the most of it.

Lamar Jackson’s floor is Colin Kaepernick? Upside is pre dog-fighting Michael Vick? A slighter Cam Newton? Steve Young?

Lamar Jackson’s floor is Colin Kaepernick? Upside is pre dog-fighting Michael Vick? A slighter Cam Newton? Steve Young?
I’d say his floor could be Akili Smith. Ceiling is Mike Vick.

9-10 pages of people discussing Lamar Jackson who haven't watched more than highlights and have no clue what their talking about ............. I'm good.

Don't get me wrong I love the discussion and passion but c'mon. You really expect people to take you seriously after spending about an hour of research & repeating narratives, most false btw, like they actual know the player & what hes really capable of.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back