PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best roster in the NFL? Heres your answer!

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Best Roster in the NFL?

• Packers

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Patriots

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Bills

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Seahawks

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters
No offense to Lamar Hunt, the AFCCG trophy should be renamed the Brady Trophy as soon as he retires.

Shady was so so last yr., Watkins is good, they lost Spiller and Chandler. Woods is OK. Don't get the hype at all. You can argue the Jets are better on O with Decker/Marshall.

Amendola is a good player stop this nonesense. He was very impressive in the playoffs. We don't win without him. And Edelman is one of the toughest covers in the league and an elite PR.

This Bills love is insane.

Shady was so so last yr., Watkins is good, they lost Spiller and Chandler. Woods is OK. Don't get the hype at all. You can argue the Jets are better on O with Decker/Marshall.

Amendola is a good player stop this nonesense. He was very impressive in the playoffs. We don't win without him. And Edelman is one of the toughest covers in the league and an elite PR.

If Cassel plays well, they could be pretty competitive.

I think nostalgia is tinting your glasses. Cassel's not actively terrible like a Geno Smith but his weaknesses limit the offense considerably. The Bills were better off last season with Orton, who at least had a big arm. I think the Bills' roster is fine, but quarterback - the most important position - is a glaring hole.
I honestly don't think Cassell is a bad QB. I think he is serviceable.

Amendola is not a good player, he is a mediocre player who if not for a 51 yard touchdown catch on a trick play pass from Edelman would have had 78 receiving yards in 3 playoff games.

I think what shocks me about some of the posters is that you toss around a player name (Amendola) who had 200 regular receiving yard last year as if he is significant but not a single person names Brandon LaFell. That to me makes me wonder how people conclude their assessments on players because clearly they're not looking at performance.

I think you ignore the Brady factor and that inflates the value of the other players in your mind, talent is very different from performance or production.

The Patriots have the best QB in the NFL, the overall roster though is not as strong as people want to believe.

Brady is the best QB in the NFL, sure. And I accept that talent is very different from production, but you should also accept that potential is very different from talent. If you want to take Watkins over Edelman, fine. But Woods isn't better than JoJo. He's got potential, sure. But he hasn't developed it fully yet.

And the Brady effect doesn't really explain the defensive split. If you could piece together a roster between the two, it would be pretty closely matched. They play different systems, so it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison, but your top 7 probably looks something like this:

Bills
Mario Williams
Marcel Dareus
Kyle Williams

Patriots
Chandler Jones
Jerod Mayo
Dont'a Hightower
Jamie Collins

Maybe you dock Mayo due to injuries, but I'd put Ninko or Sheard ahead of anyone else on the Bills.

The secondary is a mess for both teams, but McCourty and Stephon Gilmore are probably consensus picks, then we can pick nits over McKelvin vs. Butler, or Chung vs. Williams.

What about when injuries hit? Who are the next 3 men up for each team? For the Bills front 7, you're talking Manny Lawson, Jairus Wynn, and Stefan Charles? For us, it'd be some combination of Sheard, Easley, Chris Jones, Buchanan or Moore.

Depth matters. Guys like Cannon and Fleming don't matter much until you see teams trotting out Kouandjio or Jason Fox (some guy who had to play tackle for the Dolphins due to injuries).

We have a lot of depth compared to almost every team in the league, and we need it because injuries happen all the time. This is a team built to withstand adversity and injuries. Heck, we won 11 games even without Brady. We've played the last few seasons without our Pro Bowl LB Mayo for most of it. We lost 4 Pro Bowlers in 2013 and went to the AFCCG.

Amendola is not a good player, he is a mediocre player who if not for a 51 yard touchdown catch on a trick play pass from Edelman would have had 78 receiving yards in 3 playoff games.

I think what shocks me about some of the posters is that you toss around a player name (Amendola) who had 200 regular receiving yard last year as if he is significant but not a single person names Brandon LaFell. That to me makes me wonder how people conclude their assessments on players because clearly they're not looking at performance.

Except he did make that catch and he did catch a TD in the SB and he did have several critical plays for 1st downs too. His only off game was vs. Indi where the Pats ran all over them. He had TWO TDs vs. Balt.

Not saying he is great but in the playoffs he was damn good.

Except he did make that catch and he did catch a TD in the SB and he did have several critical plays for 1st downs too. His only off game was vs. Indi where the Pats ran all over them. He had TWO TDs vs. Balt.

Rodney thinks the Bills really closed gap on PATS

"Bills on the rise. “I really like the Matt Cassel move, because EJ Manuel, he struggled with the confidence. To get a veteran quarterback that understands the division and understands Bills Belichick. He’s been productive when he’s been a starter. LeSean McCoy that gives them a different dimension. Charles Clay was one of my favorite players the last couple years. I’m really surprised the Dolphins didn’t sign this guy; I think this is a huge mistake. At the end of the day, I think the Buffalo Bills made tremendous progress and really closed the gap with the New England Patriots.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

I said 11 wins or more ... and I'm sticking to it unless they get injuries.

I think the Bills have a really strong roster, that's what should happen when you suck for years and years and have tons of really high picks as well as plenty of money to blow on high prices free agents. The question is what they make of that talent and so far the answer has been NOTHING. The real question for them going forward is whether they can make the most out of that talent before the bills come for and they have to pay them. They have the advantage of low priced QBs but for them to go anywhere one will have to step up for them, and soon, as the big contracts for they to picks are going to start coming due next off season. Marcel Dareus comes up first and he is going to get big money, and there will be a number of other young players right behind him. We will see how they manage things when they really have to start paying them?

The OP's Poll shows that the posters on this board are just a bunch of homers who do not follow football. Everyone knows that Rex Ryan wins the Super Bowl every March.

Patriots? Packers? Seahawks you ask? Hell no! It's......the Buffalo Bills!! Chris Sims is a certifiable moron. Defensively they may be top 5, but offensively? He'd take McCoy, Woods, Clay, Watkins etc as much as Gronk, Chandler, Edleman, Amendola etc.

I really question how some of these people have media jobs. I see more knowledgable and straightforward ideas on this forum than I do from most talking heads.
link removed
Dude, that is click bait. You fell for it. It was designed to be stupid so you'd be outraged, share the link to others who are outraged.
When all is said and done he can show his bosses he got lots of clicks to see the ads on his story page.

He is an evil genius pretending to be a moron. You helped him. Don't beat yourself up. We all fell for it once. Google Pete Prisco sometime - he was my Chris Simms.

There is no way to justify pissing away 2 firsts for a receiver.
That's the type of loser move that guarantees it's only a matter if time before they sink back to mediocrity.
Hiring blowhard, retread, good ole boy coaches and making big splashes in free agency is for desperate teams that need to fill seats.
They may have surfaced to gulp some air, but they will sink back down to the bottom of the pond next year.

A trained monkey could have made that catch. If you look at the big picture and not just a narrowed view of 3-4 games in 2 seasons Danny Amendola has been an utter failure, in 2 AFCCG games he has a combined 1 catch for 3 yards. Amendola gets away with sucking because Edelman is here and has replaced Welker's production, I will tell you this though if Edelman was not here the dislike for Amendola would be as strong as any player in the Belichick era. I just refuse to give him a pass because Edelman made his failures not impactful.

Amendola took a pay cut and is good depth...that is the current situation.

Excuse me? Shut up? What are you 12? Act your age. ...

It is the offseason. There are two types who by sheer number take over the board - both are 12. :)
1) Belichick is a moron who obviously can not draft. If you do not agree obviously you are a blind homer and Kool-aide drinker.
2) Belichick (and/or the Patriots) are geniuses who have the best of everything, including rest rooms at Gillette. And if you don't agree you are obviously mentally unstable, so shut up.
Later we'll get to tell them why cutting Slater to make room for another WR is a bad idea. :)

I think you ignore the Brady factor and that inflates the value of the other players in your mind, talent is very different from performance or production.

The Patriots have the best QB in the NFL, the overall roster though is not as strong as people want to believe.
I'd add TE (Gronk) to best QB. Otherwise, I agree. I can think of no other player that is the "best at his position." If we separate slot WR from WR, maybe we can add Edelman - maybe, I have not looked over 31 rosters.

A trained monkey could have made that catch. If you look at the big picture and not just a narrowed view of 3-4 games in 2 seasons Danny Amendola has been an utter failure, in 2 AFCCG games he has a combined 1 catch for 3 yards. Amendola gets away with sucking because Edelman is here and has replaced Welker's production, I will tell you this though if Edelman was not here the dislike for Amendola would be as strong as any player in the Belichick era. I just refuse to give him a pass because Edelman made his failures not impactful.

My God, not this again.

My God, not this again.
Using Amendola as a notable player when speaking to how good our roster is, well that is sort of like noting your 2002 Kia Sorrento when talking about how rich you are, it is illogical. Especially when the same posters are leaving out Brandon LaFell who had nearly 5 times the production in his first season on the team.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back