PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Game Announcers?

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Lots of complaints here at patsfans about the game broadcasters on seemingly every network. So I'd love to know who you guys DO like. Let's go with three categories:

(1) Favorite play-by-play guy
(2) Favorite color commentator
(3) Favorite broadcast team (PBP+color)

I add the third one because you may like one PBP guy but a color guy that is on a different network or something, so I'm curious to know which broadcast team you like the best too.

Sims and Nance are my favorite.

I like Collinsworth and the whole Sunday night crew except for Michaels.

I dont like Fox with the robot and all their BS.

I don't know if I have a favorite. I know when it sucks, that's for sure.

I guess I will go with Nance and Sims.

Are you referring to play-by-pay guys or commentators? The great television play-by-play guys are dead. Ray Scott. Lindsey Nelson. Jack Whitaker, etc. :rip: Greg Gumbel, Jim Nantz and Al Michaels are OK, but most of the good ones are in radio. Play-by-play announcers should bring a sense of excitement to the broadcast and few of the TV guys do that.

Honestly I tend to tune them out when watching a game because I'm so focused on the moment. However if I could pick a dream duo it would be Gill Santos as the play by play and John Madden for color commentator. Those guys epitomize football to me.

The only announcers that I couldn't stand were the old Sunday Night Football duo of Paul Maguire and Mike Patrick. Their constant ball washing of Brett Favre made me want to vomit my organs and punch baby seals.

I'll go with Phil Simms and Jim Nance with Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth a close 2nd. I gotta give Collinsworth some credit he's come a long way from his NFLN days. I used to like Gruden a lot but he's gone a bit overboard with his player love.

1. Jim Nance
2. Kirk Herbstreit
3. Michaels/Collinsworth

ANOF

Anyone not on Fox.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ian Eagle is definitely my favorite play by play guy. Color guys I don't really care about. I guess Rich Gannon seems to do a good job. Favorite broadcast team is Michaels and Collinsowrth.

Mayock is currently the best color guy by a wide margin. I don't mind Solomon Wilcots and Gannon either. Nessler, Ian Eagle and Gus Johnson are good play by play guys.

Oddly enough, the under utilized Todd Christensen is the best color guy I've ever heard. Full of insight, an understanding of when to shut up, and when to be excited.

As for all-time play by play, for me it is easily Keith Jackson.

I gotta say Jim Nantz and Phil Simms. I just feel right at home listening to these guys commentate over games.

Phil Simms is my favorite...I like Troy Aikman as well

Dierdorf is a embarrassment to football broadcasting...he is beyond horrible and has no business in the booth,I hate him.

My all time favorites are Brent Musberger,,Howard Cosell,Don Criqui and Al Michaels

Didn't think people thought of Collinsworth as one of the "best". I think he is dreadful to listen to and i'm sure you people thinking he is one of the best will change your tune when he performs verbal fellatio on some of the Falcons Sunday.

Didn't think people thought of Collinsworth as one of the "best". I think he is dreadful to listen to and i'm sure you people thinking he is one of the best will change your tune when he performs verbal fellatio on some of the Falcons Sunday.

He ruined Madden 12 if you ask me,his commentary and voice were utterly disgusting to endure.

Folks, unfortunately, Patriots RB great Jim Nance died several years ago.

The guy who is on CBS Sports is Jim Nantz.

Last edited:
Mayock is currently the best color guy by a wide margin. I don't mind Solomon Wilcots and Gannon either. Nessler, Ian Eagle and Gus Johnson are good play by play guys.

Nessler puts me to sleep. Too droll and matter-of-fact, never any excitement in his delivery.

All time for me was Summerall and Madden I grew up with them doing every big game. I would assume folks all time favorites will probably come down to age and the era they grew up in.

I like Tirico a lot as play by play, I think he is on top of the rule book and does a great job overall. Color guy is Mayock for insight, but he has to get better about his overall broadcasting performance and his lisp is hard to listen to. Favorite current duo is Nantz and Simms.

All time for me was Summerall and Madden I grew up with them doing every big game. I would assume folks all time favorites will probably come down to age and the era they grew up in.

I like Tirico a lot as play by play, I think he is on top of the rule book and does a great job overall. Color guy is Mayock for insight, but he has to get better about his overall broadcasting performance and his lisp is hard to listen to. Favorite current duo is Nantz and Simms.

Tirico is outstanding for play by play.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back