PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Game Announcers?

Good on ye Stun for mentioning Gowdy & DeRogatis. Back in the days of the AFC on NBC,
they were the Game of the Week guys before Enberg & Merlin Olsen.

As for today, Tirico & Michaels are the PBP guys I would rather hear, though maybe some
of the others who do smaller-market games might be OK, I just haven't heard them often
enough to pass judgement. I watched Pats-Bucs at the pub, so I don't know how well that
PBP guy with Lynch did.

As for the analysts, Collinsworth was vocal in his Bill-bashing during CameraPlacementGate,
so I'll always hold that against him. Mayock knows the players; he just needs to learn how
to get his points across before the next play is run. I don't mind Moose & Goose, but ****
Stockton was always just an OK PBP guy. Dierdorf was OK on MNF, but has regressed since.
Buck & Aikman are the worst, for obvious reasons. Simms is too often effusive in his praise,
and Nantz is mediocre. Gruden's ball-washing is embarassing.

Al and Chris definatly. Gruden gives me a headache. Never watches any of his game that he is commentating. Cant stand him.

Troy Aikman. That's about it.

Folks, unfortunately, Patriots RB great Jim Nance died several years ago.

Who knew??? :eek:

The guy who is on CBS Sports is Jim Nantz.

THIS breaking news insider info is precisely why I read Patsfans!

Number 1 favorite: Phil Simms and Jim Nantz.

Number 2 favorite: Cris Collensworth and Al Michaels.

Number 3 favorite: Jon Gruden and Mike Tirico.

Seriously, any competent local radio team is better than the best TV team, probably Simms Nance. The Eagles preseason announcer was great, obviously did some homework and announced the names of who made blocks, tackles etc.

That's really all I want, plus down and distance and maybe a little insight into the strategy on D or O.

When the powers that be decided we really weren't interested in the game, but just wanted to watch something while being entertained by people that aren't funny, or particularly interesting and don't tell stories well, they lost me. I'd be just as happy to hear only the grunting noises and have the tackles/down and distance flashed on the screen.

And an aside. I noticed in a recent Fox (the worst) game that sideline reporter Erin Andrews(?) (the one who got publicity by someone looking through her keyhole?) stopped the action to tell us some incredible insight, while not being shown on camera, just her name in a graphic.

Does Fox Sports think we all await breathlessly Erin's outstanding insights into the game of football? At probably 120 lbs soaking wet, I'm guessing she hasn't played the game. Pardon my cynicism, but isn't the reason they go to the sidelines for some insipid, obvious commentary ("coach says they need to improve in the second half, back to you") is to show the face and body of the picturesque reporter? Like going to see Hendrix to find out he's only going to play kazoo that night.

Gil and Gino (in their prime) were pretty good. Loved Gil's signature "Touchdown! Touchdown! Touchdown!"

Watch closely tomorrow night. Collinsworth will go into elaborate detail on what happened in a play and the replay will show that what actually happened was completely different. He's an amiable know-nothing.

I like both Mayock and Simms as color guys because they are focused on the play on the field and make a good faith attempt at telling you what really happened. Mayock is the best at diagramming a play on the fly.

Michaels and Tirico are competent play-by-play guys. Nessler is non-descript but has decent pipes and doesn't try to call attention to himself. Nantz is a sychophant who wears his Peyton Manning footie pajamas everywhere he goes. Ugh.

Bottom line - Nessler and Mayock aren't bad and are the only redeeming feature of the ongoing nightmare that is Thursday Night Football. So if I had to pick somebody ...

Marv Albert no matter which sport he does, used to love his call when Grogan was runnin & carvin up Jets back in late 70s & 80s.
Marv's commentary always has some sharp bite to it...oops!

It is sad when I cannot easily name out favorite announcers. Ugh...

Mayock might be my current favorite. Simms I don't mind. Michaels is ok. I like Lynch, but, he needs more seasoning.

Despise Collingsworth, Buckaroo, and various other meatheads.

I actually either tune out most of them and just watch the game or mute it like some others have stated.

Here are a few I grew up watching that were good in their day. Sure everyone gets old but here you go.

Al DeRogatis, Curt Gowdy, Chris Schenkel, **** Enberg, John Madden.

Simms and Nantz for the newer ones.

Mike Patrick from ESPN was pretty good.

Can't stand Collingsworth

I like the Sunday night pre-game show.
I like the ESPN Sunday and Monday night pregame shows

I don't care for the CBS or Fox Pre-game or Halftime shows.

Dont forget the old MNF crew of Cosell. Meredith and Gifford.

None??? Just show me erin andrews the whole game and i am good to go

Folks, unfortunately, Patriots RB great Jim Nance died several years ago.

The guy who is on CBS Sports is Jim Nantz.

I stand with the ghost of Jim Nance as one of my choices. Don't know who that other guy is.

When it comes to Pats games I'm always happy when it's Phil Simms.

So I hope Pats fans saw this week just how much Dierdork hates the Pats. I seriously could not take any more of him. Prime example, he chastises Ridley for high stepping into the end zone calling it "not cool" and prattling on about nothing. But, after this:
image.jpg

He had nothing to say. :rolleyes:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes