PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson's tweet to the commish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate Goodell as much as anyone...BUT, I understand why he feels a comment is not necessary from him. He can not and should not apologize It would establish a bad precedent. If he comments on this one, now every fan base will be pissed off every time there is a bad call and will feel like he is playing favorites.
The NFL already told Payton they blew the call. They fined the DB.
As has been mentioned many, the best teams find a way to overcome bad calls.

I think Watson is letting his emotions get the best of him. If Goodell were to put out a statement it should read something like

"Footballl is a great game played by strong athletic men moving very fast. It is great because it is played and officiated by humans and not machines. Officials, like the players, are human as well and can not be 100% perfect on every play. We will continue to work very hard with officiating crews to get as close to perfection as possible. The officials work extremely hard to make the right calls on every play. This will continue to be the league's goal and we will explore additional approaches to getting the best possible officiating decisions made in every game"

Last edited:
Nevertheless,hope Bellichick assigned some film study to the Saints just in case but I think Goodell stayed quiet to let it get past the point of no return where it would Be impossible for a replay to happen.

I hate Goodell as much as anyone...BUT, I understand why he feels a comment is not necessary from him. He can not and should not apologize It would establish a bad precedent. If he comments on this one, now every fan base will be pissed off every time there is a bad call and will feel like he is playing favorites.

I think Watson is letting his emotions get the best of him. If Goodell were to put out a statement it should read something like

"Footballl is a great game played by strong athletic men moving very fast. It is great because it is played and officiated by humans and not machines. Officials, like the players, are human as well and can not be 100% perfect on every play. We will continue to work very hard with officiating crews to get as close to perfection as possible. The officials work extremely hard to make the right calls on every play. This will continue to be the league's goal and we will explore additional approaches to getting the best possible officiating decisions made in every game"
No idea why you've quoted me.

I like how you said Goodell shouldn’t comment and then you wrote out a long comment that he should have made.

I think that statement would have been spot on and perfectly fine for a normal commissioner to make.

I can't envision any commissioner in any other pro sport staying silent after a f###-up like that.
What shall he do? Apologize? Give in to demands to replay the game? He is a mook but he is in a no win situation.

What shall he do? Apologize? Give in to demands to replay the game? He is a mook but he is in a no win situation.
Sammy, I love fish and milk almost as much as you do and I really enjoy your posts. But, this DB needs to make an in-person statement apologizing for the screwup, saying it was unfortunate, the refs are human, we all make mistakes, we're working to fix this stuff...blah blah blah... But we all know he's ball-less. Plus, I think he's secretly OK with it because he doesn't like S. Payton, or the Saints. It's a clusterf### that's on his watch and he needs to address it.

Can someone explain to me why the Brees INT is supposed to be DPI? The receiver ran into the DB. He's entitled to a piece of field and the chance to play the ball, is he not?
You're kidding, right?

Sammy, I love fish and milk almost as much as you do and I really enjoy your posts. But, this DB needs to make an in-person statement apologizing for the screwup, saying it was unfortunate, the refs are human, we all make mistakes, we're working to fix this stuff...blah blah blah... But we all know he's ball-less. Plus, I think he's secretly OK with it because he doesn't like S. Payton, or the Saints. It's a clusterf### that's on his watch and he needs to address it.
I'm not a betting feline but if I was I would put meowny on nothing happening.

I remember the year that the "deflate-gate" ordeal broke and some fans (especially Seahawks fans) were calling for him to vacate our Super Bowl victory...

It is a good thing that he did not listen. He screwed us over by disqualifying our QB but he did not listen to the losers of the world that wanted our title vacated.

Shove it up your ass Captain Stone or explain it to me. Or do you feel too superior to do that?
The WR was not allowed to continue his route by the DB, who was not playing the ball at the moment of contact. The ball was not tipped, therefore the players are still subject to the same regulations as they were before the ball was thrown.

The WR was not allowed to continue his route by the DB, who was not playing the ball at the moment of contact. The ball was not tipped, therefore the players are still subject to the same regulations as they were before the ball was thrown.
I watched it a few times. Thomas turns upfield into the DB. That's where I take issue with how this is supposed to be DPI. The DB is entitled to a piece of the field as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes