PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not noticed many in the media behaving responsibly, regardless of the story.

patchick said:
Take a look at the interviews he did last year, explaining why his motorcycle riding was safe and careful:

- He rides Harleys, not sport bikes
- He rides in groups, not alone
- He rides on backroads, not highways

Well, he just crashed a sport bike riding alone on the highway.
Not to pile-on, but from the same interview last year :
ESPN: What kind of gawk factor do you get when you're on a motorcycle?

Roethlisberger: I don't ever ride by myself. We always have at least one other guy there. They say 'I'm not worried about you riding, I'm worried about the other people,' and it's true. People don't see motorcycles as much because it's a smaller vehicle.

ESPN: Have you been distracted at all?

Roethlisberger: No, its just like anything else: you've got to stay focused because if you don't stay focused, you're going to lose the game, or you could die.
Then from the Eye-witness account:
She saw a rugged-looking white man with curly hair on his motorcycle driving along the avenue heading toward the bridge. In the opposite direction, a Chrysler was approaching and preparing to make the turn.
"I kept waiting for the motorcyclist to slow down," she said. "He never stopped and just plowed into the car."
Ford said she believes Roethlisberger, who wasn't speeding, but going at a pretty good clip, never saw the car. "He had to be looking somewhere else, he just sailed across the intersection."
Sorry Ben, you can NOT stay focused all the time. Drivers behind the wheel of a car lose focus and go into mild hypnotic states all the time. I assume it's possible on a motorcycle as well. Not a question of if, just a question of when, and what the results are.

Maybe now Ben will wear one of those plastic masks that Rip Hamilton wears when he plays.

SoonerPatriot said:
Ive been wondering how it will impact his season. My guess is he won't miss the season, if the most serious injury is the broken jaw. There was some mention of knee injury from hitting the pavement. He could have broken a knee cap or something. Who knows.

I do know we will all have to endure lengthy, mind numbing features in the pre-game shows, magazines, websites etc. all season as the nation tracks Meat Head's heroic recovery from this accident.

Right. He heroically recovers from what "fate" dealt him due to bad luck alone, not stupidity.

I think he will report to training camp about 1-2 weeks late, and otherwise have a normal season. I bet his knees are OK because no major players on Patriots' rivals ever get bad injuries --- that happens only to us.

The argument that helmetless riding is OK because "life is full of risks/it's a risk to drive a car or to go outside," etc., borders on mental ******ation.

Let's suppose that if I shoot myself through the stomach with a revolver, there's a 60% chance I'll live. By that logic, I should once in awhile shoot myself in the stomach. Sure, it's risky, but so is everything else in life.

:violent: :bricks: :violent: :bricks:

Last edited:
I don't understand why we have seatbelt laws and no helmet laws at the same time???​

shakadave said:
The argument that helmetless riding is OK because "life is full of risks/it's a risk to drive a car or to go outside," etc., borders on mental ******ation.

Let's suppose that if I shoot myself through the stomach with a revolver, there's a 60% chance I'll live. By that logic, I should once in awhile shoot myself in the stomach. Sure, it's risky, but so is everything else in life.

Plus I'm sure it's a huge rush.:rocker:

zippo59 said:
Plus I'm sure it's a huge rush.:rocker:

Yeah. It makes me feel free. I just don't wanna not shoot myself in the stomach. It's not illegal. I'm a man, so I should make the decision myself.

Last edited:
shakadave said:

:violent: :bricks: :violent: :bricks:

That's pretty much a horrible comparison. 10 times out of 10 if you shoot yourself in the stomach, it's going to do some damage. That isn't the case with riding a motorcycle without a helmet. It was a valiant attempt though I suppose...

capt.sge.fye80.130606014604.photo00.photo.default-312x450.jpg

F.B.N. said:
I don't understand why we have seatbelt laws and no helmet laws at the same time???​
The rationale that I've heard, at least in California, is that the state doesn't want to bear the extra hospital costs for people that would be hurt worse if they were in a car accident and were not wearing a seatbelt. One would think the same rationale should apply to motorcycle riders, except maybe because there are so many fewer of them that the extra cost is next to nihil.

Whatever, wear the freakin' helmet if you get on one of those things.

F.B.N. said:
Rumor has it they asked him his name and he replied:

"Who was supposed to block Bruschi?"

NO NO and.. um.. NO!
When asked his name, he replied Ben! After that, he could not be understood, because he was mumbling.
http://www.postgazette.com/
Pittsburgh Newspaper Website^
www.steelersfever.com
Steelers Website, check out two links on homepage and the forum if you want.
If you have any questions, I know everything about this.

Ben decided not to wear his helmet ON HIS OWN, and I don't think people should comment. If it was made a law in Pittsburgh to wear one, he would've. But everyone think- he's a big boy (hence :"Big" Ben) and he made his own choice not to wear the helmet.

Fanfrom1960 said:
The rationale that I've heard, at least in California, is that the state doesn't want to bear the extra hospital costs for people that would be hurt worse if they were in a car accident and were not wearing a seatbelt.
This isn't directed at you, but that thinking is totally foolish. There are so many ways that the same concept could apply. Overeating. Underexcercising, talking on cell phones (I don't think that's illegal, I don't have a cell phone though), etc, that picking on seatbelts is nonsense. Of course I am not stupid so I choose to wear one except on slow, quiet roads when I'm going very slowly.

Good for him, and now he gets to pay for it.

We all have the choice to put a gun to our heads and pull the trigger, but should we?

On the plus side for him though, at least now no other schmucks will attempt impersonating him. At least without sticking their face in a garbage disposal first.

I hate to be insensitive when he's hurt, but it pisses me off that anyone would try to defend his actions. He's a hero to the greater PA area and to youth across the country who have watched his career on TV.

So he lives up to that standard by being an advocate of reckless and irresponsible behaviour as though it were no big deal, and then proves otherwise by getting himself mushed without proper protection? Sorry, your inflated ego does NOT act as an airbag. Great role model.

No star, neither sport, movie, or otherwise has any action that is simply a 'personal choice'. We are a society of emulation. Our youth impersonate our stars, it's simply fact. Go to any mall in America and you'll see 11 year old Beyonces and Nellys. And plenty of kids that age wearing the jerseys of their favorite sports stars.

I can bet that some kid somewhere quoted Ben in his defense when he was fighting with his parents about whether he needed a helmet to ride his bicycle. Conjecture? sure, but if you can't picture it then you need to wake up.

Big7Ben said:
NO NO and.. um.. NO!
When asked his name, he replied Ben! After that, he could not be understood, because he was mumbling.
http://www.postgazette.com/
Pittsburgh Newspaper Website^
www.steelersfever.com
Steelers Website, check out two links on homepage and the forum if you want.
If you have any questions, I know everything about this.

Ben decided not to wear his helmet ON HIS OWN, and I don't think people should comment. If it was made a law in Pittsburgh to wear one, he would've. But everyone think- he's a big boy (hence :"Big" Ben) and he made his own choice not to wear the helmet.

Big7Ben said:
NO NO and.. um.. NO!
Whew... Thanks so much for clearing that up. My god, that was irresponsible of F.B.N. ... I'm never going to believe another one of his posts again. Thank YOU!

Big7Ben said:
Ben decided not to wear his helmet ON HIS OWN, and I don't think people should comment.
Perhaps you're right. Perhaps you should avoid message boards in the future to avoid having to witness such a heinous act as people commenting.

Big7Ben said:
If it was made a law in Pittsburgh to wear one, he would've.
Well yeah, of course. Because THEN it would be the smart thing to do! And is well known, Rothlessburger is one smart cookie.

Welcome to the board, we look forward to many such valuable contributions and setting us all straight. Thank God for you, sir. And my condolences on your quarterback.

Last edited:
I wear my helmet, and always will. I considered it a while ago, but decided it's stupid not to. Ben just made a mistake. He'll live and hopefully WEAR his helmet for once. But there's still the thought if he's going to ride his motorcycle.. everyone's hoping he won't till he retires, and I hope we will wait also.

My serious sincere apologies if i'm getting on anyone's nerves or affending anyone.

Last edited:
Bah, ignore me. I get punchy after midnight. Honestly, I'd be freaking out if it were Brady. So I'll cut ya some slack and apologize, but honestly... you couldn't tell FBN was joking? :D

It's past my nice time, lol. I get a little punchy too! I guess i'm just upset. I know he was joking, my fault.. i'm just a little tired...

Okay I found that "who was supposed to block Bruschi" comment both hilarious and insensitive, at least until he's out of the woods... that spill sounded way nastier than we're treating it. Of course it's not lilke his pancreas and splein decided to switch places or something a la Winslow...

Hey, Big7Ben, you're not getting on my nerves, for one. Fanatic as we all are, talking football in June in the first place, we really need to step back and acknowledge our humanity comes first when we see a story like this.

Plus it's more fun to crush you guys every year with your big guns healthy ;)

Anyway, best wishes to your namesake. May he be healthy enough to take a hit when the time comes.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back