PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
patchick said:
What about the business that paid him millions of dollars of up-front money in the anticipation that he would perform at an elite athletic level for years to come?

Life is full of risks, but it's also full of responsibilities. When you choose to take on those responsibilities, it isn't all up to you any more. You have obligations to others, and you have to balance interests, risks and benefits. To me, that -- not the freedom to take stupid risks -- is what comes with being an "adult."

You would be crazy to believe that professionals don't do stupid things in the offseason. It actually happens alot.

You name it...alot of them do it.

Just ask LT (the original).

I'm not afraid to say it

He deserved it. People who take unnecessary risks deserve what they get...that includes people who ride motorcycles without helmets, people who drive without buckling their seatbelts, people who drink and drive....you name it. There are too many people in this world who DO ALL THE RIGHT THINGS and still lose their lives either through natural forces or through the irresponsible actions of others for me to waste my sympathy on someone who deliberately CHOSE to put himself at risk for no pressing reason. I don't wish ill on him but I certainly don't care...he didn't.

PF1996 said:
He deserved it. People who take unnecessary risks deserve what they get...that includes people who ride motorcycles without helmets, people who drive without buckling their seatbelts, people who drink and drive....you name it. There are too many people in this world who DO ALL THE RIGHT THINGS and still lose their lives either through natural forces or through the irresponsible actions of others for me to waste my sympathy on someone who deliberately CHOSE to put himself at risk for no pressing reason. I don't wish ill on him but I certainly don't care...he didn't.
And he knew better, EVERYONE told him and he basically said "I'm bigger than all this helmet stuff". Screw him.

PF1996 said:

Sorry guy but that is stupid. You can't compare taking risks with youself and drunck driver who hurt others.

We all take risks with our own safety from time to time. No one deserves serious illness, injury, or death unless they are hurting others.

Now that POS that we just dropped two 500lb bombs on- he deserved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
PATSNUTme said:
Sorry guy but that is stupid. You can't compare taking risks with youself and drunck driver who hurt others.
Well I disagree. When everyone is telling you it's stupid and you just smile, grin and laugh at them and it happens, well . . .

Just like with kids. They think they're so f*cking smart then they find out you were right after all.

More interesting stuff (and some funnies) from ProFootballTalk.com
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
It's one thing to tool around town with a pack of other easy riders, the unique rumble of Harley-Davidson engines saying to the world, "You can't deprive your ears of a sound so good by putting a helmet over them."
It's quite another thing for a 24-year-old quarterback with the world by the nutsack to ride around on a souped-up crotch rocket without proper protection.
And that's what Roethlisberger was doing on Monday. He was riding, sans helmet, the Hayabusa, which Suzuki describes as "the fastest production bike on the planet."
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid

GSX1300RK6.jpg

This screencap was from PFT:

Check out the advertisement on the right:

YamahaAd.jpg

BelichickFan said:
Well I disagree. When everyone is telling you it's stupid and you just smile, grin and laugh at them and it happens, well . . .

Just like with kids. They think they're so f*cking smart then they find out you were right after all.
There's a difference between "asking for it", or "tempting fate" and DESERVING IT.

Ben Roethlisburger did not "deserve this". He seems to be a stand up guy. He seems to be an ok dude, that's never harmed anyone. So DESERVING IT...quite frankly, is WAY over the line.

Saying he "deserved it" implies that you are happy that this happened, or at the very least, get some degree of satisfaction of the event.

Congratulations.

BradyisGod said:
There's a difference between "asking for it", or "tempting fate" and DESERVING IT.
I don't mean that he deserved it. However I don't feel the least but sympathetic towards him. He knew what he was doing, knew the risk and was told about it over and over. He basically showed the finger to anyone that showed concern for him. Deserved it ? No. But he got what was coming.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

nfl_a_roethlisberger_275.jpg

Paint outlines puddles of oil and blood on the street where Roethlisberger collided with an automobile while riding a motorcycle on Monday.

For those with ESPN Insider, they posted a segment of Mike and Mike in the morning from this morning where they talked with Roethlisberger (before the crash, obviously). They couldn't get over how "he is a Super Bowl winning quarterback! Did you hear that? He'll always be called a SUPER BOWL WINNING QUARTERBACK! He went to the White House! And did I mention he WON THE SUPER BOWL? ... So Ben, how was it?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830#

Last edited:
Wow, I hope he's ok. I echo many of the comments here about it being stupid to ride without a helmet. Riding a motorcycle is bad enough because you can never legislate for what other people do in their vehicles. A fender bender in a car is totally different from a little accident on a motorcycle and is extremely different from an accident on a motorcycle without a helmet.

SoonerPatriot said:
Ive been wondering how it will impact his season. My guess is he won't miss the season, if the most serious injury is the broken jaw.

quote]

au contraire Pierre....
The broken jaw could keep him out all year if it's serious enough (multiple breaks, open wound exposed to the air increasing risk of infection). A single non-displaced ( not out of alignment ) fracture can be wired shut for 4-6 or 6-8 weeks while a more severe case could require plates or screws and a longer recovery period. The bone is still healing for a long time afterwards. While wired shut, he's on a liquid diet and that can't help a pro athlete.
They tell the patients to avoid trauma for months afterwards which isn't real practical for an NFL QB. The defenseive linemen could inflict major damage if they hit the 'not fully healed' jaw. It wouldn't shock me if he's out for the year......
BTW Governor Rendell of PA signed the law rescinding mandatory motorcycle helmets as one of his first acts as Governor....FWIW

Just my $0.02,

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

We all take risks with our own safety from time to time. No one deserves serious illness, injury, or death unless they are hurting others.
The are consequences to taking risks. That is why they are called risks.

You want to take chances, it is your business.

One of the risks of riding a motorcycle is that the laws dealing with right of way are superceded by the rule of tonnage. In any meeting of a bike and a car, the car wins. And drivers of cars don't always see cyclists. It isn't right, but sometimes bikes don't register with them the way a car would.

So it is a risk to ride a bike.

Knowing this, there are ways to migigate the risk. One is being more visible to cars, like with headlights on. Another is wearing clothing that will protect in teh event of an accident or spill. Heavy pants, leather jacket, helmet w/visor. Riding is shorts and T-shirt, without a helmet doesn't increase the risk of having an accident, but it makes the injuries much more sever when an accident occurs.

To say he deserved it is perhaps too strong. No one "deserves" bad fortune. And it sounds like the accident itself was not his fault. But the responsibility
for the severity of his injuries are his and his alone.

And I doubt Ben R will deny this. He knew the risk, and accepted it.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 10:25 p.m. EDT, June 12, 2006
ROETHLISBERGER OUT OF SURGERY

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is out of surgery after nearly seven hours of procedures aimed at repairing multiple facial fractures suffered during a Monday morning motorcycle accident.

Per a Mercy Hospital spokesman, Roethlisberger has no brain, chest, or abdominal injuries.

Other published reports confirm that, beyond the jaw and facial injuries, Roethlisberger has no serious injuries.

His official condition is still "serious but stable," and hospital officials said that his status is not expected to change overnight.

Last edited:
NFL Network showed Cowher arriving at the hospital tonight. Apparently he either drove or flew in from his vacation home in NC looking grimfaced. They then showed the replay of his media response when the helmet issue came up last year. What he said (paraphrasing) about the short window of opportunity these athletes have and how you have to be responsible for the impact of your decisions be it riding motorcycles or hanging out with the wrong crowd or those decisions will impact you fell on deaf ears with Ben last off season. They said they are expecting a press conference of some sort from the hospital this hour - either Steelers reps and/or the doctors with an update on his condition.

Ben does have a default clause in his contract that would enable the team to persue $400K of signing bonus and $5.9M in incentives but only if he cannot report to camp due to a non football related injury. Shefter said it is unlikely the team would persue such action given his popularity even if he can't make camp.

From the brief press conference

Mercy is a Level 1 Trauma center, arrived and was evaluated and sent to surgery - 7 hours of surgery - serious but stable and in recovery - at 9PM - multiple facial fractures all repaired successfully. No additional brain, spine or abdominal injuries that they can see.

This sounds like an awful thing to go through, and I certainly wouldn't say he "deserved" it -- he was reckless, not evil. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

But Roethlisberger clearly knew his behavior this day was risky. Take a look at the interviews he did last year, explaining why his motorcycle riding was safe and careful:

- He rides Harleys, not sport bikes
- He rides in groups, not alone
- He rides on backroads, not highways

Well, he just crashed a sport bike riding alone on the highway.

Caught the initial story on radio early this afternoon, I figured the board would be hopping. I made an effort to watch NFL Total Access this evening to get the update since I'd heard nothing after the initial story, and couldn't help but smile ironically once I knew his injuries weren't life threatening. Interesting watching the replays of last year's Indestructible Ben on Total Access.

I don't know if this has been said already but apparently Rothlisberger wasn't riding just any sports bike, he was riding thr fastest commercial motorcycle in the world...without a helmet.

Excuse me, will you hold my flaming gasoline tank while I look for my car keys....?

Does anyone else think it was irresponsible of the media to release the woman driver's name? That lady will be harrassed nonstop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back