PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's skill position moves since 2018

Been following the team since 1984.To put it simply, we do not have game changing talent, we need game changing talent, the past 3 drafts have not provided game changing talent.

I don’t think the past 3 drafts suck. We got some good players, but when you look at acquired talent they are in my mind decent drafts, certainly not really good or great. I also think we made a massive reach with Cole Strange in round 1. You can’t blow first round picks on a guard when you are rebuilding.
Fair enough. Hope we continue to improve and play better this year while developing our young players.

How have the last 2 drafts been really good?

Mac is unfortunately regressing
Barmore was good last year. Ok this year and now on IR
Stevenson is a good player.

So from 2021 we are looking at 1 really good player and 1 possibly above average.

Cole Strange looks to be a bad 1st round pick. Even if he somehow becomes an average starter it’s still a waste of a 1st rounder.

Thornton has done nothing. If he’s at the same place next year it’s another bust at WR.

The 2 Jones’s are good solid picks.

Zappe who knows.

So out of this draft so far we know we got a good corner and a good returner.

That does not equal “2 really good drafts”. At best right now it’s 2 average drafts. This team needs top end talent and we can’t waste first rounders on average guards.
TRUE

I don't recall you posting on this site too often and I'm not sure if you follow this team closely, but I'm not sure how much more you want from our last 3 drafts.
Don’t bother. Nothing BB can do over the past few years is good enough. He and everything he does sucks.

I’m not saying they were bad draft picks or horrible drafts. But let’s not sit here and claim “really good drafts” when we we’ve got a few starters out of each. To me that’s an average draft. A great draft is getting game changing talent, which we don’t have.

A great draft is 2003 or 2010.
It's not a few starters. It's more than that out of each.

Hypothetically if Bill decides to step down , would we go and get Dan Quinn?

Hypothetically if Bill decides to step down , would we go and get Dan Quinn?
No thanks. The team needs an offensive guy.

We're in trouble if Bill is allowed to make drafting decisions going forward.

He doesn't get to pick the damn players and coach the damn players and also HIRE the inept offensive coaching staff and just get a pass because he won't "apologize for the success we've had around here"

Dude can get away with his douche behavior as long as you're winning Superbowls.

The last 4 years, including this one would get you fired just about anywhere else in the league. It's truly been that bad.

Then why is Agholor included? Is his skill dropping passes?
When I first saw him as a rookie with Philly I was very impressed. What happened to him?

If you like complementary players, then these are “really good” drafts. Because that’s what’s these players are.

Pats don’t have game changers, foundational/cornerstone players or whatever you want to call it on either side of the ball.

Media has finally caught on while many posters are still behind.
That's because the media members don't have Bill's cheeks blocking their eyesight.

Been following the team since 1984.To put it simply, we do not have game changing talent, we need game changing talent, the past 3 drafts have not provided game changing talent.

I don’t think the past 3 drafts suck. We got some good players, but when you look at acquired talent they are in my mind decent drafts, certainly not really good or great. I also think we made a massive reach with Cole Strange in round 1. You can’t blow first round picks on a guard when you are rebuilding.
It seems like Bill's misses have come in the 1st round, which is where the game changing talent is more likely to come from. The jury's still out on Strange, but Wynn and Harry have clearly been wasted picks.

It's kind of funny when you think of it, but Bill's best pick of all was in his first year here and was a very late pick that he had to be talked into.

Don’t bother. Nothing BB can do over the past few years is good enough. He and everything he does sucks.
As far as coaching goes Bill makes less mistakes in a season that most coaches make in a game. He does make mistakes though, and his last two, dumping Brady and hiring Patricia for the offense, have been doozies.

Belichick has to realize the formula of Dink-and-Dunk QB + Average Receivers + Strong running game + Strong Defense isn't going to work anymore
That formula worked in early 2000s NFL.

Players coming out of college have pro style offenses that make the transition to the pros alot easier. Bill is a football historian he knows everything we are stating on this forum. Knowing something, and refusing to do something about it it one thing. Reports were in the off-season the offense was simplified to allow players to react better, and so rookies could acclimate. I can't even call this an offense.

What's lost in the debacle this season is that Tyquan Thornton's progress has been stunted as well as Mac. We have plenty of skill position players on this team with a functional offense and a creative play caller there is no reason this team shouldn't be scoring 25 plus ppg.

That's because the media members don't have Bill's cheeks blocking their eyesight.

It seems like Bill's misses have come in the 1st round, which is where the game changing talent is more likely to come from. The jury's still out on Strange, but Wynn and Harry have clearly been wasted picks.

It's kind of funny when you think of it, but Bill's best pick of all was in his first year here and was a very late pick that he had to be talked into.
So you don't like our last 3 years of drafts?

So you don't like our last 3 years of drafts?
People forget bill is a Parcells deciple. The players he inherited upon him getting handed the power of head coach and GM, wich isn't seen anymore in the NFL, we're Parcells draft picks, to name. Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Malloy, law, McGinnest.

Those players there started the patriots culture, helped accend Brady while Brady was becoming the GOAT in the making.

Parcells grew frustrated with ownerships unwillingness to allow him to draft ,and sign players he knew were good and could help the team is why he left.

Reports were BB would only resign as HC of the NYJ if he could have the power of both coach and GM with patriots. Just a bit of NFL history for the young bucks!

2019 supposedly the Pats worst offense

The Pats were 12 - 4 and 7th in points scored.

2019 supposedly the Pats worst offense

The Pats were 12 - 4 and 7th in points scored.
I'll take that offense, and any part of it over this practice squad, little league offense. Odd thing is this offense much like the defense.. scored thier most points on sub par NFL defenses..

I'll take that offense, and any part of it over this practice squad, little league offense. Odd thing is this offense much like the defense.. scored thier most points on sub par NFL defenses..

I will take that 2019 QB with this 2022 offense and win the Super Bowl.

2022 NE TEs and WRs are open but dont get the ball. You see it every week. The NE OL is a sitting duck because opposing defenses have no fear of the person behind center. Burrows OL is nothing special and the Bengals just took out the Chiefs.

I will take that 2019 QB with this 2022 offense and win the Super Bowl.

2022 NE TEs and WRs are open but dont get the ball. You see it every week. The NE OL is a sitting duck because opposing defenses have no fear of the person behind center. Burrows OL is nothing special and the Bengals just took out the Chiefs.
I see it this way, the qb is more than capable and above average. When Mac's had time ,the very few times this season he's dropped dimes to his recievers. We have some talent on this team.. the line is shuffling each game, players in and out the line... Burrow has 2 6"5 burners on the outside.

The entire offense can't function enough to put fear in opposing defenses..

Again a sean Payton scheme would have this offense humming

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back