What rule changes do you favor?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Belicheck/Patriots propose the following rule changes...

1 Moving the line of scrimmage on extra points from the 2-yard line to the 25.

2 Extending goalposts upward an additional 5 feet.

3 Permitting a coach to challenge any official’s decision except scoring plays (which are already automatically reviewed).

4 Placing additional cameras on all boundary lines to supplement TV cameras and aid the officials with instant replay.

I have posted several times that technology exists that could make 2 & 4 happen. If the simple 5 foot extension of the posts suffices, it's simpler than a techno fix. We would not have lost that game in Baltimore were that so. Less excited about goal line cameras. Wonder if a fix like an RFID chip on the ball that is triggered above the goal line might not be best.

Allowing a coach to challenge ANY call to me improves the game. Let's say that PI is called but replay shows no contact or offensive holding is called but clear replay shows arms not extended, whatever. Having an appeal reduces game significant human mistakes by the refs. Note that the # of challenges by a coach is not increased, so no significant extension of game time, not that I would object even if so.

Making the XP into a moderately long FG puts an element of strategy into possible 2 pt conversion attempts in bad weather or a kicker having a bad day. I think the NFL is going to try this from the 20 in pre-season.

Love them all except #1. Would have beaten the ravens in 2012 if field goal posts had been extended. Ravens might not even have made the playoffs.

All...........

none. no more freakin rule changes for at least ten years thank you very much. im so sick and tired of the non stop rule changes. leave the damn game alone. it was perfect.

none. no more freakin rule changes for at least ten years thank you very much. im so sick and tired of the non stop rule changes. leave the damn game alone. it was perfect.

Oh give me a break.

Extending the goal posts is not changing a rule, it's something that only helps.

Placing more cameras in the end zone to help on debatable touchdowns, is not a rule change it just helps get a more definitive answer.

Allowing coaches to challenge anything is not changing a rule it's fully unlocking it. Touchdowns and turnovers are already automatically reviewed. Coaches can already challenge some stuff. How is being able to challenge anything bad? They would still only get the 2 challenges (3 if both challenges are overturned).

I like all of them. But the one I'm hoping for the most is #1. XP is today the most boring play in maybe all of sports. It's just a free point where someone can get injured. Make it a bit harder and it wouldn't be such a time waste. It would actually be a bit interesting.

I like all of them. But the one I'm hoping for the most is #1. XP is today the most boring play in maybe all of sports. It's just a free point where someone can get injured. Make it a bit harder and it wouldn't be such a time waste. It would actually be a bit interesting.

43 yards for one point is crazy. How ****ty would it be to go 80 yards at the end of the game to tie it only to have Gost miss the extra point? I'd rather play OT then have games decided by extra points.

I think 20 yds (37 yd FG) as being piloted by the NFL is a better compromise than 25 (42 yd FG)
BB is betting he'll have the better kicker :)

43 yards for one point is crazy. How ****ty would it be to go 80 yards at the end of the game to tie it only to have Gost miss the extra point? I'd rather play OT then have games decided by extra points.

Yeah a bit long maybe. I think that 38 yards would be a very good distance.

Love them all except #1.
Why are people so in love with the extra point being automatic and meaningless? I don't get it.

I am all for all the ideas, but especially #1. It makes a boring part of the game more interesting.

And if we are being shallow in deciding on rules based on impact to the pats, it is even better as Gost is pretty dang good and if he knew about this change, I doubt he would miss many.

I want them to change the extra point. As a fan it can make the game quite a bit more interesting.

Stats on FGs and distance

2013 NFL Player Kicking Stats - National Football League - ESPN

One unintended consequence is that I predict kickers' salaries to rise as a result. Can you imagine losing what were tie or close games by missed XPs?

This is a good article on the extra point rule change. I think it makes sense to move it. Right now it is just about a sure thing. Basically it's like the NBA making free throws a layup. This is competitive sports there should be some degree of difficulty to every aspect.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/artic...t-kicks-are-missed-on-average-in-the-nfl.aspx

I'm in favour of all 4 changes. They are common sense ideas designed to enhance the game for both the team & the fans. Now, having said that, I am more inclined to the NFL's idea of moving the XP to the 20 vice the 25 yard line, but as you noted above, BB is just betting that he'll have the better kicker, regardless. :)

But when even Herm Edwards agrees that the changes have merit, then you know you are on to something doable and common sense.

Kickers were 254 for 306 (83%) on kicks of 40-49.

I'm guessing kicks of 42 yards was higher than 83%.

Agree

But with ~ 1/6th of attempts missing at that distance we could see 1 or maybe 2 XP misses per game. Would make it interesting. Bet we'd see lots more 2 pt conversions as catch up tactics assuming the XP miss was early in the game. Bummer if miss on the 1 point to tie.

Considerably less misses if they move it to the 20. I'm reconsidering my initial position and going for the 25 like BB now.

I like them all. And if you really want to make XP's interesting, allow the defense to return a blocked kick.

I don't like the XP rule because what happens when a team is down by 8 with a few seconds left? Attempting a 2 conversion from the 25 yard line will be virtually impossible to convert. I also feel like 2 point conversions are some of the most intriguing plays in football games when they happen.

I don't like the XP rule because what happens when a team is down by 8 with a few seconds left? Attempting a 2 conversion from the 25 yard line will be virtually impossible to convert. I also feel like 2 point conversions are some of the most intriguing plays in football games when they happen.

2 point conversion will not change. Still be marked at the 2 yard line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST