PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on the Miami Loss - we're not on to Pittsburgh

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So, there was a transscript of BB's interview linked on the site front, but now it's vanished, at least from here, for me. However, I was surprised to see...

"But right now our focus is to review the Miami game, talk about the things that happened, good and bad, and then once we’re done with it, we’re done with it and we’ll move on to Pittsburgh."

He was very even-tempered, played the hits, the game turned on a few big plays, within plays there were some things we did well, some things to improve on, between plays, some plays that were good some we had to improve on... But the above quote just stood out to me. He's not Doom this game, he's teachy Belichick. At least in public.

That is all.

So, there was a transscript of BB's interview linked on the site front, but now it's vanished, at least from here, for me. However, I was surprised to see...

"But right now our focus is to review the Miami game, talk about the things that happened, good and bad, and then once we’re done with it, we’re done with it and we’ll move on to Pittsburgh."

He was very even-tempered, played the hits, the game turned on a few big plays, within plays there were some things we did well, some things to improve on, between plays, some plays that were good some we had to improve on... But the above quote just stood out to me. He's not Doom this game, he's teachy Belichick. At least in public.

That is all.
That is surprising. The 2014 "we're on to Cincinnati" reaction seems a lot more confident.

That is surprising. The 2014 "we're on to Cincinnati" reaction seems a lot more confident.
It almost puts a new gloss on that game... it was a definitive statement that there was NOTHING to learn from that game lol... best thing to do was be on to Cincinnatti. Over-interpreting I am sure.

It almost puts a new gloss on that game... it was a definitive statement that there was NOTHING to learn from that game lol... best thing to do was be on to Cincinnatti. Over-interpreting I am sure.
This is how I always saw it. The loss prompting "on to Cincinnati" was just a complete no-show by the entire Patriots team and there's virtually no point in dwelling on the tape. This past loss to Miami was a rough game, but there were multiple positive aspects to the Patriots performance and a handful of impactful negative plays could have gone another way with a bit more preparation.

We are on to Cincinnati was a quote from a Wednesday news conference. Ask the same question again this Wednesday, and he will not say we are reviewing Miami, I am sure he will say We are onto Pittsburgh.

Certainly plausible

That is all.

Do you imply that the BB we see in public is different than the BB we do not see during practices and team meetings?? Gee whiz we have never thought of that before.. could comment on your spelling error, but that is a rarity for this linguistically talented poster, so you get a pass this time.;);)

We are on to Cincinnati was a quote from a Wednesday news conference. Ask the same question again this Wednesday, and he will not say we are reviewing Miami, I am sure he will say We are onto Pittsburgh.
Yep, Wed., Oct. 1

So that moots the direct comparison. I mean, if we're saying that we can derive a real model Belichick from these podium moments -- which I wasn't -- that further complicates it. What you say the day you lose is different from the middle of the week.

That said, it was a Monday night loss to the Chiefs. In the documentary Do Your Job, he specifically singled out that you don't keep talking about a loss after 24 hours, in relation to that clip.

So, different circumstances. The window for what could be learned was closed. It more shows awareness that whatever he says, he's not just saying to the media and through them the fans, he's also saying to and about the team. If he's explaining on Wednesday, whoever's benefit it is for, he and the team are therefore dwelling on it, and it's a short week.

But you definitely got the feeling there was much less to take forward from that game than this one, despite the situational difference -- graded on an expectations curve perhaps. He definitely talked about the Mia. loss as competitive and closer than the score said. That's almost surprising, but then, the same applies -- he's managing the effect of the fans and media on the team and of course, on his own latitude.

Do you imply that the BB we see in public is different than the BB we do not see during practices and team meetings?? Gee whiz we have never thought of that before.. could comment on your spelling error, but that is a rarity for this linguistically talented poster, so you get a pass this time.;);)
mea culpa on "transscript." I'd have it coming :D

He means the game had teaching moments.

The "On to Cincinnati" team was a veteran Super Bowl level one.

This team is young and not ready.

As others said, Miami was not a no show that you just move away from.

If they don't clean things up the same will happen nearly every week.

Could it be like the team is low on confidence and he doesn't want them to regress any further. So a little bit of mollycoddling so that he doesn't lose the team. Maybe Bourne benching was a first part of it.

The "On to Cincinnati" team was a veteran Super Bowl level one.

This team is young and not ready.

As others said, Miami was not a no show that you just move away from.

If they don't clean things up the same will happen nearly every week.
Idk. This team has a lot of veterans and is on a bit on older side. Only 3 starters aren’t veterans: Mac, Barmore and Strange.

Idk. This team has a lot of veterans and is on a bit on older side. Only 3 starters aren’t veterans: Mac, Barmore and Strange.

While technically true, there's a big difference between a veteran like Trent Brown or David Andrews, and someone like Michael Onwenu for example. A difference between a veteran like Judon and one like Uche. A difference between a veteran like McCourty and one like Kyle Dugger. There are lots of guys in prominent roles (starter is kind of a hard thing to define, because it just means who plays the first snap, not the most), that may not be rookies, but are still very much in development.

Could it be like the team is low on confidence and he doesn't want them to regress any further. So a little bit of mollycoddling so that he doesn't lose the team. Maybe Bourne benching was a first part of it.
I like the way Family put it. Don't have to call it low on confidence just a different team in a much different place on the development scale. So different coaching and cliche moments are called for.

Last edited:
While technically true, there's a big difference between a veteran like Trent Brown or David Andrews, and someone like Michael Onwenu for example. A difference between a veteran like Judon and one like Uche. A difference between a veteran like McCourty and one like Kyle Dugger. There are lots of guys in prominent roles (starter is kind of a hard thing to define, because it just means who plays the first snap, not the most), that may not be rookies, but are still very much in development.
This is always true with virtually every team in the NFL. Many of those teams are younger, so I’m not seeing the young team meme. With one or two exceptions, I think it has more to do with changes made on offense than anything else.

I’ve heard multiple times over the year that Monday’s are for reviewing/learning from last weeks game. Not sure this is a philosophy switch by BB.

Not directing this at the OP, but the over-analyzation of everything Belichick does and says by the media and the fanbase is going to ridiculous levels. I am sure talk radio will spend three days on this quote.

I think he knew that 2014 had the personnel to be a good team. I think he isn't so sure about this 2022 group and I agree with you it doesn't really inspire confidence.

Not directing this at the OP, but the over-analyzation of everything Belichick does and says by the media and the fanbase is going to ridiculous levels. I am sure talk radio will spend three days on this quote.
He says so little that anything out of the ordinary is going to be analyzed.

That is all.
Real happy that Pitts is coming off a Big win so they should be on some type of high. If this Offense sucks against a Flores D it will be along season: can't stress how we NEED this win 17 points should get us a win.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back