PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick "Cam Newton is our quarterback"

1. Tom House said Cam's foot was messed up last year so was very hard to plant properly and make any throws. Makes sense as without your lower body you're just using upper arm leading to inaccurate throws. There's a small sliver of chance Cam actually plays well as a passer and stays healthy.

2. Belichick didn't lie when asked. Basically Cam is the guy but if Mac or Jarrett become better quarterbacks than Cam then it would be open for debate. But Mac not being the week1 starter is NOT an indictment at all on Mac. I think people are underrating Cam if healthy and also the steep learning curve for a rookie QB to not just play but play the right way for a possible contender.

Just a friendly reminder, Patrick Mahomes sat his entire first year.

There is ZERO need for Mac Jones to see the field in year 1 unless A) Cam gets hurt B) Cam really stinks it up through the first 6 weeks.

My prediction, Cam has a decent bounce back season. Pats go 10-6 to make the playoffs.

Mac Jones holds the clipboard and does really well in practice and gives the coaches confidence he can step up in case of injury and he takes the keys next season.

On a lighter note has anyone seen this commercial for NFL Play60?

Just picture the kid 'Nate' as Mac Jones and replace the word Panthers with Patriots and you might have a chuckle. :excited:

Kc had a legitimate QB, we don’t.

Just a friendly reminder, Patrick Mahomes sat his entire first year.

There is ZERO need for Mac Jones to see the field in year 1 unless A) Cam gets hurt B) Cam really stinks it up through the first 6 weeks.

My prediction, Cam has a decent bounce back season. Pats go 10-6 to make the playoffs.

Mac Jones holds the clipboard and does really well in practice and gives the coaches confidence he can step up in case of injury and he takes the keys next season.
Quite plausible. I think I'll hold off on the playoff prediction till I see how things gel (or don't) early in the season. I wonder how hard the coaching staff will make MJ work on diet and conditioning. Nitpick: seventeen game season...

1. Tom House said Cam's foot was messed up last year so was very hard to plant properly and make any throws. Makes sense as without your lower body you're just using upper arm leading to inaccurate throws. There's a small sliver of chance Cam actually plays well as a passer and stays healthy.

2. Belichick didn't lie when asked. Basically Cam is the guy but if Mac or Jarrett become better quarterbacks than Cam then it would be open for debate. But Mac not being the week1 starter is NOT an indictment at all on Mac. I think people are underrating Cam if healthy and also the steep learning curve for a rookie QB to not just play but play the right way for a possible contender.
The stuff in the article you recently posted in our draft strategy thread:

shows BB simply drafts who he thinks is best player available, and he's totally OK with that player sitting a year if that is what is best for the player and the team.

There really is no room for argument, he thinks MJ was BPA at #15, but also he'll sit behind Cam till he earns his spot one way or the other.

LOL there’s Trollin again doing what he does best

Wait…..does he not know that the jerseys won’t ship until the player gets his number, or am I mistaken?

Edit: Nope. Just went to nfl.com and confirmed. JFC what a hack!

Here is what I know. Belichick is going to let the QB’s duke it out this offseason. The better QB at that time will start. If Mac can’t beat Cam out, I’m pretty sure the reason why will be because Mac will be so damn green. Things are done different in NE than other places. **** is more complicated. The expectations are higher. Let’s give the kid at least 3 years before we call him a bust. People already laying the groundwork to hate the kid and he hasn’t suited up for a damn practice yet.

Here is what I know. Belichick is going to let the QB’s duke it out this offseason. The better QB at that time will start. If Mac can’t beat Cam out, I’m pretty sure the reason why will be because Mac will be so damn green. Things are done different in NE than other places. **** is more complicated. The expectations are higher. Let’s give the kid at least 3 years before we call him a bust. People already laying the groundwork to hate the kid and he hasn’t suited up for a damn practice yet.

I think year three is a good target for a true evaluation. In theory you've got a redshirt year this year (possibly taking over mid season), then one full true "rookie" season. If you don't see improvement by year three, you've got problems.

Josh Allen (different style of QB of course) is a good comp for that kind of progression. He looked pretty bad his rookie year, better (but still very flawed throwing the ball) in year 2, and then broke out in year three. That's the kind of patience we may have to have with this kid. Even if he starts this year, I'm not expecting him to be Justin Herbert and hit the ground at full sprint.

Mac will have to earn the starter job by beating Cam. Nothing will be handed to him.
Not necessarily - Cam does not have the most glowing health record over the last four seasons. Injury is just as much a factor in who is the starting QB week to week as any other one.

Especially his car
Or his VCR...you know he totally has one right next to the Commodore 64 with "MyFace" and "Yearbook" on it...and it's constantly blinking "12:00".

We know BB will always do what he believes is best for the team. Right now, at this point in time Cam is the starting QB as Mac hasn't had an opportunity to change that.

Hopefully we will get to see how well Cam does in the pre-season games

So Bill is treating Mac Jones like every rookie they’ve ever brought to camp...

Jones needs to hit the weight room and prepare his body like a pro. Brady gained 15-20 pounds of muscle from year one to year two, Jones needs to do the same.

Cam might start stinking the joint up again, throwing balls off the turf, interceptions... but the O-Line and Defense will provide them time to get Jones prepared and they will be competitive until then.

Jones needs to hit the weight room and prepare his body like a pro. Brady gained 15-20 pounds of muscle from year one to year two, Jones needs to do the same.

Cam might start stinking the joint up again, throwing balls off the turf, interceptions... but the O-Line and Defense will provide them time to get Jones prepared and they will be competitive until then.

Yeah, having seen the world mock his physique, I am expecting a massive transformation in this department.

Honestly don't understand how an aspiring pro athlete can have such a poor diet/fitness regimen. Especially at a program like Alabama in this day and age of sports science and nutrition.

In some ways only makes his ability more impressive, but think what he could be if he actually got into top shape. More mobile, more velocity, more durable, more supermodel wives.

there is quite a difference though

Brady came out 6 ft 4 and 211lbs now around 225lbs
Jones is 6 ft 3 and weights 217lbs, its not like he is skinny and can't handle hits and has to gain 20lbs for his size

sure he might need to do something on his diet, but look at Brady and his diet and he still isn't shredded and obviously you don't need to be as QB

Brady came out 6 ft 4 and 211lbs now around 225lbs
Jones is 6 ft 3 and weights 217lbs, its not like he is skinny and can't handle hits and has to gain 20lbs for his size

sure he might need to do something on his diet, but look at Brady and his diet and he still isn't shredded and obviously you don't need to be as QB
Stronger is better

thats for sure, however I think Mac is more Pro-ready than Brady was even when he took over in 2001
It took a year, also Tom at 21 was a game manager who played the system to the hilt and had a vet play caller in Weis. Mac could take time, he could be ready out of camp, there's no predicting it.

It took a year, also Tom at 21 was a game manager who played the system to the hilt and had a vet play caller in Weis. Mac could take time, he could be ready out of camp, there's no predicting it.
Tom Brady only became "Tom Brady" in 2007, how quickly they forget.

Quite plausible. I think I'll hold off on the playoff prediction till I see how things gel (or don't) early in the season. I wonder how hard the coaching staff will make MJ work on diet and conditioning. Nitpick: seventeen game season...

I don't think Mac Jones lacks for work ethic. This video shows how he prepared for the Draft and his Pro day.

For more insight, here is an interview with Mac Jones trainer, David Morris.

I'm sure the Patriots training staff have their own program in mind for him, but I don't have any doubts that he will diligently follow whatever program is put in front of him.

Oops sorry, the Cam Newton thread quickly sidetracked into Mac Jones training. LOL.

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back