PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Patriots could have over $70 million in cap space next season … what are they up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would brady accept a contract with no guaranteed money?

Because he has never wanted to harm the franchise cap wise, and he wants to keep playing, but it would still give him the option of 30 million or retire without the dead money cap hit. The Saints did the same with Brees and it worked out.

Thats why I asked as I didn't know what you had meant by the 1/4. 25% of 70m which is projected avail cap is $17.5m and 25% of say ~$190m which is 2019 cap (but surely 2020 will be higher. Just don't know what it is yet) is $47m.

Where did you read Tom is looking for $30m aav? Hes never made that in aav in his career. I have a tough time thinking he is expecting that now. If he is and is holding the line it'll be hard to get a deal done.
We were discussing the available space for 2020, which is around 84-85m at the moment. That’s where I got the “1/4” figure from. The point was that we need to account for two things: 1) there are only 31 players under contract with a lot of key free agents due, and 2) Brady will almost certainly take up 1/4 of the available space, assuming that you believe that his 2020 cap hit will hover around the 20m dollar mark (specifically, 21m).

There was a report from about a month ago which was widely discussed here on the forum, stating that Brady could be looking at a 3 yr extension with a team option for a 4th yr. I don’t know where the info came from, so I cannot provide a link, but I assume that it was one of the beat writers. In that report, they stated that a 3 yr extension could be upwards of 100m dollars, so the insinuation was that Brady may not be taking the type of hometown discount that most are expecting. Even assuming that the rumors are wrong (quite possible) and that he does take another hometown deal, it’s hard to imagine an extension long enough to structure a low cap hit for 2020, but others with more knowledge may see it differently. At any rate, that’s how I came up with something in the 20-21m dollar range for next year.

Yes I was just joking with you. Yes I guess you never gave up on Tom last year but you did the team lol. You didn't specifically say your giving up on Tom in 2020 but you said "It depresses me to say this, but the bolded may no longer be a given." Bolded was about TB12 taking up a chunk of 2020 cap. So you basically said it.

So that's why I decided to screw with you. Obviously the end for any player could come quick and especially one in his 40s but nothing about his play suggests its arrived or is coming this year. So I see 2020 as given.
Definitely not. You don’t drop that kind of dime in the Super Bowl in that moment if there are signs of decline. He needs more help though. Especially with Gronk gone.

I think you keep the team on Super Bowl mode, EVERY year, as long as you have Brady and Bill.

Because he has never wanted to harm the franchise cap wise, and he wants to keep playing, but it would still give him the option of 30 million or retire without the dead money cap hit. The Saints did the same with Brees and it worked out.
No he didn’t.
Drew Brees signed a two year contract with the Saints on March 13, 2018. Brees received $27 million guaranteed including a $13.5 million signing bonus and a $3.3 million first year roster bonus. If Brees is on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2019 league year he will earn a $11.95 million roster bonus. The contract contains a voidable contract year for proration purposes in 2020. The signing bonus used prevents forfeiture in the event of retirement at the end of the contract.

You are asking the GOAT to commit to playing only for the patriots and getting zero guaranteed. That would be insane.

You had Kraft explicitly saying that Brady will not go into the regular season on an expiring contract in a QuickSlants iview before the SB.
I think he implicitly said it, in the sense of “well, we’re not into the season yet, are we? Let’s see what happens this offseason.”

(In response to the idea that Brady has never entered his walk year without a new deal)

I suppose the point stands to a certain degree, but I don’t remember him necessarily promising anything. At any rate, I would definitely agree with you that the plan should still be until 45. I also expect both parties to have something of a contingency plan, if we’re being totally honest and reasonable. I would bet money that Belichick is going to be prepared for the idea of Brady walking away in a year or two.

I think he implicitly said it, in the sense of “well, we’re not into the season yet, are we? Let’s see what happens this offseason.”

(In response to the idea that Brady has never entered his walk year without a new deal)

I suppose the point stands to a certain degree, but I don’t remember him necessarily promising anything. At any rate, I would definitely agree with you that the plan should still be until 45. I also expect both parties to have something of a contingency plan, if we’re being totally honest and reasonable. I would bet money that Belichick is going to be prepared for the idea of Brady walking away in a year or two.

I thought this was beyond implicit but whatever thats semantics. We had a strong hint from the owner and another leak from Balestrieri who overheard something he shouldn’t have.

Okay, but the point was that when all is said and done the available amount of space will look much different. I think you just backed that up.

Not really. The idea of having only 70M and 31 players signed is very bad. I showed they are in really good shape.

Not really. The idea of having only 70M and 31 players signed is very bad. I showed they are in really good shape.
You’re still excluding the idea of Brady’s cap hit and a bunch of important free agents, so the point isn’t necessarily that it was “very bad,” (I certainly never said that), but just a bit different from what the article stated in terms of them being “up to something.” I also don’t believe that it will be quite as good as has been suggested. Look at some of the free agents + Brady’s estimated cap hit.

It’s still business as usual from my opinion, and when all is said and done if they have a bit of room to carry funds over into 2021, they certainly will. If they are “up to something,” it may be the preparation for the eventual life after Tom Brady.

2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker

The article does not say 70M with only 31 signed players. Article says with 51 players signed,

You’re still excluding the idea of Brady’s cap hit and a bunch of important free agents, so the point isn’t necessarily that it was “very bad,” (I certainly never said that), but just a bit different from what the article stated in terms of them being “up to something.” I also don’t believe that it will be quite as good as has been suggested. Look at some of the free agents + Brady’s estimated cap hit.

It’s still business as usual from my opinion, and when all is said and done if they have a bit of room to carry funds over into 2021, they certainly will. If they are “up to something,” it may be the preparation for the eventual life after Tom Brady.

2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker

No. I did not forget Brady i assumed 28M avg per year (26/30)

I assumed they will have 64,037,646M for 11 players.

Tom Brady 26/30 = 28m per year
Devin McCourty Retired
Julian Edelman 6.5/8 = 7.25m per year
Kyle Van Noy 7/8.5/9.5 = 8.33m per year
Jonathan Jones 2.5/3.5/4 = 3.33m per year
Joe Thuney 6/7.5/8.5/9.5/10.5 = 8.4m per year
Elandon Roberts 3.5/4/4.5 = 4m per year
Ryan Allen 2/2.5/2.75 = 2.42m per year
Ted Karras 1.3/1.5 = 1.4m per year

Maybe you don't agree with the cap hits that i assumed and that is fair, but if they want to, can resign most of them, maybe all of them(important ones of course).

The 70M dollar line is dubious.

If you assume Brady is gonna cost 25-30M with only a few players signed, you have pennies to sign the rest of the roster.

The 51 players signed is new information (Thank you Miguel). I did not read the article, i was just answering what you said.

I do not think they are up to anything. They don't have a bunch of 1st rounders recently, that is why on the future they will have money.

They have/had 5/6 elite players. Brady(off the books), Devin(off the books), HT, Mason(signed bellow market deal), Gronk(retired), Gilmore(Expensive FA) and a bunch of very good/good/mid level players.

Why we have so much cap? IMO because of the recent drafts and the fact the we don't overpay on FA.

2012 21 Chandler Jones
25 Dont'a Hightower!!!
2013No pick | still wit us: Harmon
2014 29 Dominique Easley DT | still wit us: White
2015 32 Malcom Brown DT | still wit us: Mason(bellow market deal)
2016No pick | still wit us: Thuney(rookie deal) , Roberts(rookie deal), Karas
2017No pick
2018 23 Isaiah Wynn OT Georgia
31 Sony Michel

We gather a bunch of good/mid level players (Guy, Pennel,Burkhead ...) and keep winning.

No. I did not forget Brady i assumed 28M avg per year (26/30)

I assumed they will have 64,037,646M for 11 players.

Tom Brady 26/30 = 28m per year
Devin McCourty Retired
Julian Edelman 6.5/8 = 7.25m per year
Kyle Van Noy 7/8.5/9.5 = 8.33m per year
Jonathan Jones 2.5/3.5/4 = 3.33m per year
Joe Thuney 6/7.5/8.5/9.5/10.5 = 8.4m per year
Elandon Roberts 3.5/4/4.5 = 4m per year
Ryan Allen 2/2.5/2.75 = 2.42m per year
Ted Karras 1.3/1.5 = 1.4m per year
Tom Brady 26/30 = 28m per year too high. age factor
Devin McCourty Retired not sure about that
Julian Edelman 6.5/8 = 7.25m per year way too high. age factor
Kyle Van Noy 7/8.5/9.5 = 8.33m per year too high. age factor. turns 29 next year
Jonathan Jones 2.5/3.5/4 = 3.33m per year too low
Joe Thuney 6/7.5/8.5/9.5/10.5 = 8.4m per year about right
Elandon Roberts 3.5/4/4.5 = 4m per year about right
Ryan Allen 2/2.5/2.75 = 2.42m per year He just got $1.55/1yr. Price goes up?
Ted Karras 1.3/1.5 = 1.4m per year about right

Fatfingered "Funny" on my phone. Thanks for catching it.
No one can click on “Disagree” with this post

Yet some DID!!!!!

Prolly someone like Ted Williams!
Does anyone ever notice most that disagree never post why they do? Maybe they think it’ll “trigger” someone!:cool:

Last edited:
No he didn’t.

You are asking the GOAT to commit to playing only for the patriots and getting zero guaranteed. That would be insane.

So insane that the 2nd best QB in football over the past decade agreed to the same type of deal in New Orleans only a year ago.

The question of how to avoid dead money if Brady changes his mind and decides to retire was asked, this is the answer. 30 million a year in salary each season he decides to play is the answer.

So insane that the 2nd best QB in football over the past decade agreed to the same type of deal in New Orleans only a year ago.

The question of how to avoid dead money if Brady changes his mind and decides to retire was asked, this is the answer. 30 million a year in salary each season he decides to play is the answer.

I like your thinking but I can't see either side comfortable with those terms.

The heck with 2020. What has happened with free agency 2019? With
a lot of gaping holes, the Patriots have been very quiet of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes