PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Bill ready for an aggressive offseason

NFL Rumors: Bill Belichick Ready For 'Aggressive' Offseason - NESN.com

“We’ve heard what Bill has said … basically since the first loss, that’s when Bill’s been in excuse-making mode. After the finale, and on Monday, I was worried about some of the things that he said, which were half-truths or not close to the truth. And I worried that what Bill was saying publicly, maybe he’s caring that forward privately in terms of how he views this team. Maybe he’s gotten to the age where he thinks he can do no wrong and that they’re just a couple of plays away from doing this or that, or that they just need good quarterback play and they’ll be OK.

“After talking to some people the last few days, it sounds like Bill knows exactly what’s going on. I think they’re going to set an aggressive path toward this offseason. And that means in a whole bunch of areas, from free agency to trades to the offense. I think he spent a good part of the second half of the season realizing where his team was and he’s ready to do something about it.”
-----------------

Sounds a little like damage control to the media who is starting to call Bill out for his excuse-making this year. Also doesn't really jive with not closing the door on Cam as next year's QB here.

We'll see. I hope he's right.

BB (and the staff) have been very good at scouting themselves. The last few years may have seen a departure from that, but I fully expect the off-season to start with a no-ego / no-excuses assessment of "What did we do wrong?" It will not be easy to fill the holes on this team with players that can handle the morphing style BB prefers (game plan to each opponent's strengths, not getting caught up in one style) - but who else would you want at the head of the table?

It may be that this will be the most interesting Off-Season / Pre-Season we've seen in a lot of years. Hopefully we'll have the shocker cut, early retirement of an offensive lineman, and the odd FA signing of a role player who turns out to be a key player.

Just even the slightest bit of research, just 2 minutes worth, would show you how wrong you are.

How so? Do your research. The guy was injury prone. He barely got on the field and went he did it wasn’t exactly great but he never did much. He was a risk because of his injuries.

I hope the Patriots rely more on their scouting staff this year while making draft picks.
Their luck dealing with Belichick's pals like Saban and Harbaugh is running thin.

How many games have Henry and Golladay missed in their career? Too many I think.
True, but they are also premium players at their positions. When they play, they elevate an offense single handedly. Injuries are hard to predict unless they have some chronic degenerative knee issue or things of that nature. I mean, it's not like the players we have on our team are a model of good health.

NFL Rumors: Bill Belichick Ready For 'Aggressive' Offseason - NESN.com

“We’ve heard what Bill has said … basically since the first loss, that’s when Bill’s been in excuse-making mode. After the finale, and on Monday, I was worried about some of the things that he said, which were half-truths or not close to the truth. And I worried that what Bill was saying publicly, maybe he’s caring that forward privately in terms of how he views this team. Maybe he’s gotten to the age where he thinks he can do no wrong and that they’re just a couple of plays away from doing this or that, or that they just need good quarterback play and they’ll be OK.

“After talking to some people the last few days, it sounds like Bill knows exactly what’s going on. I think they’re going to set an aggressive path toward this offseason. And that means in a whole bunch of areas, from free agency to trades to the offense. I think he spent a good part of the second half of the season realizing where his team was and he’s ready to do something about it.”
-----------------

Sounds a little like damage control to the media who is starting to call Bill out for his excuse-making this year. Also doesn't really jive with not closing the door on Cam as next year's QB here.

We'll see. I hope he's right.
I don't care if he is changing the narrative on subpar drafts or cap constraints. As long as the are adding talent and winning is all that matters next season.

I actually really liked our 2020 draft. Uche, Onwenu, and Duggar look dynamite. I also think Asiasi is going to be better than folks thing and Herron looks to be a great late-round pick-up as well.

Jennings is a work in progress, but probably a "miss" and not really sure what to make of Keene as he was injured.

So, the TEs I am going to give a "pass" for now, since they had Cam throwing them the ball who couldn't hit the broadside of barn and both were injured/had no training camp or OTAs. But we picked up at least 3 impact players.

They are and we actually have cap room to keep both. I just prefer to only pay 1 interior lineman that kind of money and I like Thuneys versatility. Think we can put Onwenu in masons spot and the line would be fine.
I would keep both. But thuney may just be too expensive.

They are and we actually have cap room to keep both. I just prefer to only pay 1 interior lineman that kind of money and I like Thuneys versatility. Think we can put Onwenu in masons spot and the line would be fine.
I like Shaq but he has missed a lot more games than Thuney. A per game cost benefit study might show you paid more for Shaq's production than for Thuney. (Sorry, I just like to use cost benefit study whenever I can)/

True, but they are also premium players at their positions. When they play, they elevate an offense single handedly. Injuries are hard to predict unless they have some chronic degenerative knee issue or things of that nature. I mean, it's not like the players we have on our team are a model of good health.
They are good but single handedly elevating an offense. Ehhhh!!!!

Henry is one of the top TEs that also does the dirty work and blocks. That means there is direct (and indirect) value coming from him at nearly every snap. That is exactly the type of player that can elevate an offense.

Offensive lineman are more important than skill position players but the average fan doesn’t realize that because OL don’t have stats or get credit they deserve.

Last edited:

Should have chosen my words a little more carefully lol. They would single handedly elevate OUR offense. Imagine how much we can improve our offense if instead of useless Ryan Izzo we have Hunter Henry at TE. Or instead of Byrd, we have Golladay? Red zone wouldn't be such a struggle any more for us.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back